Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
Sure, again I want to preface with that I think everyone's experience will be different. Seems like a previous poster mentioned only positive things. I think they must have a few agents.
For me, the process went back and forth for 2 months plus a few days. It wasn't because of anything specific but it just seems like the person handling it was new and wasn't aware of some issues. I was also never told when my file was submitted to HPD for final approval until it got approved.
My leasing agent apparently only works in Manhattan and isn't at the location at all. The person also can't be reached by phone, only email. When I viewed the apartment, I was told since I was assigned an agent, all leasing questions have to be directed to that person specifically and basically they were nice but weren't super helpful. TFC took over an apartment temporarily in the building and there are leasing agents inside all the time 7 days a week and they seem nice. I was shown the property and I just kind of quietly left. I asked about amenities in the other building and wasn't told much information.

The studio I would say is medium sized. If you do some digging you'll find that there are basically 2 floor plans. Both have amazing views, one southwest and one northeast. I think the set up for the east facing ones are much better but the other studio compensates by having a great view and an extra window. Size is not the reason why I turned it down. To me, it's small but I could've made it work. All studios are pretty small these days. The only thing I want to mention is that the studios have different kitchen appliances than the larger apartments. They're smaller and off brand. They're not bad by any means but I find it annoying that they cheap-ed out. You'd get charged the same amenities fee and everything else so why put in smaller appliances. I believe studios deserve the same sized kitchen with same appliances. If you check the photos posted for 5203 Center you'll find a lot and I think the photos are actually of 5241 to give you a better idea.

I'm a little sad to turn it down to be honest. I applied for the next building but I would much prefer this one.
Hey how long after you first submitted your documents did they reached back out to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 02:09 PM

412 posts, read 593,519 times
Don't know about W/D - I only saw the studio

In general they get back to you between 1 to 2 weeks.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:42 AM

32 posts, read 41,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
Sure, again I want to preface with that I think everyone's experience will be different. Seems like a previous poster mentioned only positive things. I think they must have a few agents.
For me, the process went back and forth for 2 months plus a few days. It wasn't because of anything specific but it just seems like the person handling it was new and wasn't aware of some issues. I was also never told when my file was submitted to HPD for final approval until it got approved.
My leasing agent apparently only works in Manhattan and isn't at the location at all. The person also can't be reached by phone, only email. When I viewed the apartment, I was told since I was assigned an agent, all leasing questions have to be directed to that person specifically and basically they were nice but weren't super helpful. TFC took over an apartment temporarily in the building and there are leasing agents inside all the time 7 days a week and they seem nice. I was shown the property and I just kind of quietly left. I asked about amenities in the other building and wasn't told much information.

The studio I would say is medium sized. If you do some digging you'll find that there are basically 2 floor plans. Both have amazing views, one southwest and one northeast. I think the set up for the east facing ones are much better but the other studio compensates by having a great view and an extra window. Size is not the reason why I turned it down. To me, it's small but I could've made it work. All studios are pretty small these days. The only thing I want to mention is that the studios have different kitchen appliances than the larger apartments. They're smaller and off brand. They're not bad by any means but I find it annoying that they cheap-ed out. You'd get charged the same amenities fee and everything else so why put in smaller appliances. I believe studios deserve the same sized kitchen with same appliances. If you check the photos posted for 5203 Center you'll find a lot and I think the photos are actually of 5241 to give you a better idea.

I'm a little sad to turn it down to be honest. I applied for the next building but I would much prefer this one.
Thank you so much for the great information; it is very helpful. I empathize with your disappointment! My experience has been similar to yours. I actually looked at market apartments in this building prior to getting notified, so it should be interesting to draw comparisons when viewing time comes. BTW, the amenities are nothing special. A workspace, a smallish perimeter deck and a smallish gym. I am disappointed to hear of the lower grade appliances. Unfortunately if you are CB preference (which I am) and in a higher AMI, this is not a great deal. Market apartments in full service buildings by the same developer in this neighborhood are not much more money, and you get the benefit of a full amenities market grade apartment, lower security deposit, and the power of negotiation on rent when selecting a unit. Plus a lot of the buildings don’t charge an amenities fee for their gym and roof deck use. Just as an aside, for what they are charging for a studio in 52-41, I’ve found multiple 1 BR apartments in full service buildings with washer/dryer, on the NJ waterfront, with a similar fast commute to midtown by ferry or bus.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:49 PM

12 posts, read 14,404 times
I received a request for documents on May 19 and submitted 36 documents through Housing Connect 2 on the same day. Haven’t heard anything, although my application still shows as Under Review on HC2. I would be in 130 AMI. I live in CB2 and I’m also a city employee (teacher). Hoping for a one-bedroom. I’m starting to get a little worried because it’s been about 6 weeks since I submitted my documents. My current lease is up in October, so I hoped to know something by August or so. I also applied for the sister building and for 5Pointz.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:32 PM

412 posts, read 593,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsoculorum View Post
I received a request for documents on May 19 and submitted 36 documents through Housing Connect 2 on the same day. Haven’t heard anything, although my application still shows as Under Review on HC2. I would be in 130 AMI. I live in CB2 and I’m also a city employee (teacher). Hoping for a one-bedroom. I’m starting to get a little worried because it’s been about 6 weeks since I submitted my documents. My current lease is up in October, so I hoped to know something by August or so. I also applied for the sister building and for 5Pointz.
I would contact TFC. There's an email listed on housingconnect. Don't be offended by me asking, did you click submit after you uploaded all the documents? I feel like you should've heard back by now.. It did not take 6 weeks for them to reach out to me and same for at least 1 previous poster.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:19 PM

Yes, I did click submit and it said that my application/documents had been submitted.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:21 PM

I actually was told the one bedrooms are all leased (130, 165). Building is nice. Studios are very, very small. Kitchen in studios have miniature appliances and are a different brand (which I’ve never heard of).

Old 07-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Ah, okay.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:34 PM

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:38 PM

You are welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery