Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 07:41 AM

32 posts, read 41,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Interesting! I wonder now, how they get away with such a good deal in tax breaks & provided this kind of housing quality to affordable housing tenants.

I understand these developers are not allowed to have 'poor door' & affordable housing units have to be spread around in the same building as market rate tenants BUT the catch is, they would build studio units with lower quality to offer to affordable housing tenants only. Is this some kind of a new game now? If this is true then it's totally not cool!
Totally agree! And the fact that we are still clients who are paying a lot for the privilege of them getting tax breaks and the ability to take advantage of optimum building permits, etc. seems to have escaped them.

And if you are in a 130 or 165 AMI you are paying high taxes - city, state and federal, have lost almost all the legitimate write offs on taxes (unless you are a sole proprietor, etc.) and are bearing the burden of paying a high price for sub standard unit, whilst bearing the brunt of subsidizing the building (and the nicer, larger units which are seemingly presented to only lower AMI clients) along with the market tenants.

Understand me, I have no problem with anyone in any AMI getting a great unit. But why does the middle class have to take the hit? We all have been working most of our lives and contributing to the system. We should also get a break!

Would not have a problem with all of this if the studios were being offered for say, $1,100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 08:53 AM

412 posts, read 595,142 times
I agree. To be honest, I didn't want to complain too much about the building because if you look at comparable new buildings, the rent is higher. Look at rent at one/two blue slip. Look at the new building they posted in turtle bay.

Also, just because my income is in the range, doesn't mean the rent is affordable. Like you said, NY taxes are already high and being a single filer, I have no write offs. I can honestly say I can't "afford" the 1 bedroom rent, hence why I'm even looking into affordable housing because rent isn't affordable! To think even affordable rent isn't actually affordable is insane.

I don't need to be handed a "break" but don't dress something up as affordable when it's not. I had so much guilt for turning down this unit because it's called winning the lottery. Who am I to turn down the lottery!? Ultimately it just wasn't right for me or the right time and they didn't make it such a great deal.

It was also a slap in the face to charge 50 dollars a month amenities fee when there's nothing offered. I'm also in the CB and I know how other buildings are. My own building has a fraction of the fee for the same offerings. I considered taking the apartment and not paying the amenities fee but to be confined in a studio...

Old 07-02-2021, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 14,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carableu View Post
Yes, definitely get in touch with TFC. It sounds like something fell through the cracks. Although it did take a little while before they got back to me.

It is certainly worth it to look at the studios to see if it works for you. You never know!

Just my two cents, but if you are a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc. (In other works, middle class with a decent salary, but for NYC - after taxes, etc. the income doesn’t go very far), affordable housing tends not to be the best deal. I find with the higher AMIs (130, 165), they have very few one BRs available and you end up getting offered studios with near market prices. I am really disappointed in how they were done in this property. I live in a TFC building now and my experience has been great. And my rent is not much more than these studios. BUT, my current apartment is very livable. So for me, there is not much incentive to move. Even with the rent stabilized status, I would feel short changed by how these units have been designed.

For what they are charging they should have full sized appliances, more square footage, and honestly - put a washer and dryer in every apartment! Just to give an example, the dishwashers they put in could hold maybe dishes for two people for one meal (LOL).

Best of luck!
I wrote to them last evening but haven’t heard back yet. For a one bedroom, I would’ve made it work, even though the rent is really not that affordable for me. I’m not interested in the studios as they’ve been described on this forum. It makes me sad because I’ve been teaching in LIC for 12 years and have watched all those buildings go up, thinking I could never afford to live in one of them. This seemed like a good opportunity, since I live in CB2, etc. I’m currently living in a studio on the border of Woodside/Sunnyside, but really want to upgrade to a one bedroom that’s a bit closer to LIC. I will keep considering all options. It doesn’t have to be new construction, but bug-free would be nice, since I’ve fought various infestations in my current building.

Thank you for the encouragement! This is such a hard process.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:22 AM

I just heard back from TFC that I am still missing documentation, including the eligibility questionnaire. I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t write to them. I’ll fill it out and send it in because you never know. Hmmmm.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:25 AM

412 posts, read 595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsoculorum View Post
I just heard back from TFC that I am still missing documentation, including the eligibility questionnaire. I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t write to them. I’ll fill it out and send it in because you never know. Hmmmm.
Starting getting other documents ready as well. They'll be asking all the documents between your last submittal and now. paystubs, bank, etc. Maybe someone turned down a one bed in the meantime. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2021, 11:51 AM

Yes, I have a whole file with all those documents on my computer desktop. I submitted them all already through Housing Connect 2, but maybe TFC wants everything submitted directly to their office. This questionnaire is no joke. Seven pages. This will be my weekend project. They gave me till July 9 to submit it. At least if I do it now, I will have already done it once if I get called up for 5203. haha

Old 07-02-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, definitely great that you stayed on top of things!

Old 07-02-2021, 12:10 PM

I have a feeling they’re going to reject me anyway because I had a previous bankruptcy, although it’s fully discharged as of last year, no longer on my credit report, and Chapter 13, so I paid everything back and rent was not part of it. Oh, and I have three cats. I think there may be a two pet limit.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I wrote to them last evening but haven’t heard back yet. For a one bedroom, I would’ve made it work, even though the rent is really not that affordable for me. I’m not interested in the studios as they’ve been described on this forum. It makes me sad because I’ve been teaching in LIC for 12 years and have watched all those buildings go up, thinking I could never afford to live in one of them. This seemed like a good opportunity, since I live in CB2, etc. I’m currently living in a studio on the border of Woodside/Sunnyside, but really want to upgrade to a one bedroom that’s a bit closer to LIC. I will keep considering all options. It doesn’t have to be new construction, but bug-free would be nice, since I’ve fought various infestations in my current building.

Thank you for the encouragement! This is such a hard process.
Yes, as a teacher serving LIC for many years it would be wonderful to get a one bedroom! I know a lot of people on staff at the new building and they confirmed that the 1 bedrooms went very fast in the upper AMIs. I was hoping!

And yes, applying is a huge process. I had to keep sending more documents (4-5 times). I actually get my paycheck from one place so I was surprised. I guess every building has their own requirements. But the good thing is you are now in place to rent if the studio works for you. I will say this, they are definitely bug free. One advantage as they are brand new.

One thing that might sway you is you get two months free rent the first year with this project.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling they’re going to reject me anyway because I had a previous bankruptcy, although it’s fully discharged as of last year, no longer on my credit report, and Chapter 13, so I paid everything back and rent was not part of it. Oh, and I have three cats. I think there may be a two pet limit.
No, they will not turn you down for the bankruptcy! You actually can pass on doing the credit report. You just provide 12 months of rent receipts cancelled checks, etc. I actually have a clean report but didn’t want a “pull” on it for them to check my credit…

Also if your bankruptcy is discharged and off your report why mention it? You have paid your dues!

Just say you have a cat. Don’t mention the 3. It’s not like you are going in with 3 pit bulls (LOL - I love Pits - no shade to them) Also have you considered getting your cats certified as a emotional support cats? You can do it online and it is 100 percent legal. A therapist (usually a social worker or other psychologist) calls you and you discuss if you have social anxiety, insomnia, whatever - it’s totally legit.

Good luck!

Last edited by Carableu; 07-02-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery