Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 12:27 PM

32 posts, read 41,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
I agree. To be honest, I didn't want to complain too much about the building because if you look at comparable new buildings, the rent is higher. Look at rent at one/two blue slip. Look at the new building they posted in turtle bay.

Also, just because my income is in the range, doesn't mean the rent is affordable. Like you said, NY taxes are already high and being a single filer, I have no write offs. I can honestly say I can't "afford" the 1 bedroom rent, hence why I'm even looking into affordable housing because rent isn't affordable! To think even affordable rent isn't actually affordable is insane.

I don't need to be handed a "break" but don't dress something up as affordable when it's not. I had so much guilt for turning down this unit because it's called winning the lottery. Who am I to turn down the lottery!? Ultimately it just wasn't right for me or the right time and they didn't make it such a great deal.

It was also a slap in the face to charge 50 dollars a month amenities fee when there's nothing offered. I'm also in the CB and I know how other buildings are. My own building has a fraction of the fee for the same offerings. I considered taking the apartment and not paying the amenities fee but to be confined in a studio...
Please don’t feel guilty over not taking the unit! At the end of the day you have to pay the rent. I too, am a single filer and there is nothing to write off anymore. I actually used to be able to write off a deduction for home office, business expenses, medical equipment (I am a nurse - but now am based mostly at home), etc., but that has all been done away with under the last administration. However it made a big difference in my cleared income when we could write things off!

The units are “almost good enough” to take. In the 130 AMI they have two lines 4 and 6. 4 has more usable space but a so so view. 6 has a bomb view but there is something on every wall which makes furniture arrangement hard. The benefit is the units are new. The disappointment is the cheaping out. I honestly was really shocked by that. The people who work there are REALLY nice. I know a lot of them from other buildings. It is all about what works for you. If you knew in your heart it was not the right move, don’t doubt yourself. When the next building opens up it may be a better option for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 12:36 PM

412 posts, read 594,384 times
My fear for the next building is that it's too large to manage - too many people, elevator wait time, laundry etc. Also, poor concierge staff because the amount of packages incoming on a daily basis will be insane. These are all valid things people complain in other buildings that are too large.
5203 has I think 800+ units.

**edit to an earlier post - I meant to say rent is cheaper at 5241 than other new constructions. One and Two Blue slip are absolutely gorgeous but I definitely can't afford it haha. Applied anyway.. Maybe I'll get called and see the apartment just out of curiosity.

Last edited by rnt2dh; 07-02-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
My fear for the next building is that it's too large to manage - too many people, elevator wait time, laundry etc. Also, poor concierge staff because the amount of packages incoming on a daily basis will be insane. These are all valid things people complain in other buildings that are too large.
I definitely understand your concerns! See at the time if it is comfortable for you. This building has a package concierge and they seem on top of things so I am thinking the new place might as well. Plus by then the amenities will actually be good.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:

**edit to an earlier post - I meant to say rent is cheaper at 5241 than other new constructions. One and Two Blue slip are absolutely gorgeous but I definitely can't afford it haha. Applied anyway.. Maybe I'll get called and see the apartment just out of curiosity.
Also, you never know when you get to the new building - it might really click for you.

TBH, I would just go rent a market one bedroom (I could get approved, but it would be a bigger bite out of my income). But I don’t feel it’s wise. At this point I am not doing clinical nursing (ICU, ER, etc), because I tore my knee and herniated some discs. So I had to give up the jobs where all the money is. However, my health comes first! That’s the reason I applied for affordable housing. Rent stabilized, can plan long term, etc. Plus I had high expectations because TFC buildings are pretty good.

I dislike that there is always some glitch with affordable housing…

Old 07-02-2021, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 14,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carableu View Post
No, they will not turn you down for the bankruptcy! You actually can pass on doing the credit report. You just provide 12 months of rent receipts cancelled checks, etc. I actually have a clean report but didn’t want a “pull” on it for them to check my credit…

Also if your bankruptcy is discharged and off your report why mention it? You have paid your dues!

Just say you have a cat. Don’t mention the 3. It’s not like you are going in with 3 pit bulls (LOL - I love Pits - no shade to them) Also have you considered getting your cats certified as a emotional support cats? You can do it online and it is 100 percent legal. A therapist (usually a social worker or other psychologist) calls you and you discuss if you have social anxiety, insomnia, whatever - it’s totally legit.

Good luck!
Haha! I’m seeing my therapist today. Maybe I’ll ask her about that. Btw, finding this forum has really been a form of therapy for me. I tend to get down about having worked so long for the city and still living in a tiny studio apartment when I see these fancy buildings going up everywhere in LIC. I know everyone is in a similar situation - well, lots of people, anyway - and it’s the price we pay for living in NYC. But it’s nice to be able to chat with other people going through this process.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsoculorum View Post
Haha! I’m seeing my therapist today. Maybe I’ll ask her about that. Btw, finding this forum has really been a form of therapy for me. I tend to get down about having worked so long for the city and still living in a tiny studio apartment when I see these fancy buildings going up everywhere in LIC. I know everyone is in a similar situation - well, lots of people, anyway - and it’s the price we pay for living in NYC. But it’s nice to be able to chat with other people going through this process.
Yes I totally agree! I moved from a two bedroom, two bath in California to a studio when I came back to NYC (born here). So I totally understand. Besides, everyone is on their own journey. If you like the studio and it works for you, take it. Otherwise there is always the next building…

Old 07-09-2021, 08:54 PM

394 posts, read 570,904 times
Hi everyone, Now that the housing connect website finally post log numbers, I might still have a chance at this lottery. Does anyone know if they have reached GP or are they still working on CB preferences??

Old 07-09-2021, 09:34 PM

98 posts, read 113,671 times
Is your log # under 2000?

Old 07-09-2021, 10:49 PM

394 posts, read 570,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryRose12 View Post
Is your log # under 2000?
yes my log number is actually under 3xx. I was surprised and shocked to see this......Praying I get contacted. I don't have any CB preferences

Old 07-09-2021, 11:35 PM

98 posts, read 113,671 times
That's great!!! Mine is 1XXX. Good luck!! I'm GP as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery