Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 14,408 times

Advertisements

I had listed my housing preferences as both studio and one bedroom, so I guess it’s possible they’re still considering me for a studio, but sounds like the studios are so small it would defeat one of the main purposes of moving. I just changed my housing preference to only “one bedroom" on HC2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 04:28 PM

412 posts, read 593,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carableu View Post
I actually was told the one bedrooms are all leased (130, 165). Building is nice. Studios are very, very small. Kitchen in studios have miniature appliances and are a different brand (which I’ve never heard of).
Did you look at a studio as well? How did you like it? Hard to imagine all 1 beds are leased because the building seemed pretty empty still..

Old 07-01-2021, 04:49 PM

I haven’t looked at any of the apartments because I never heard back after I submitted my documents 6 weeks ago. I have a feeling the studios would be too small though. I will email them this evening to see if my documents were received.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:51 PM

Oh, whoops, that was for Carableu. I apologize, I haven’t quite figured out how the forum works yet. I’m glad it’s here though. I feel like I’ve been almost completely in the dark since I submitted my first application Sept 23 of last year.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,054 times
I was just contacted to submit more documents today. Hope the process picks up. Did anyone in this forum view a 2 bedroom?

Old 07-02-2021, 12:19 AM

32 posts, read 41,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
Did you look at a studio as well? How did you like it? Hard to imagine all 1 beds are leased because the building seemed pretty empty still..
Yes, I did look at the studios! TBH, they REALLY cheaped out on the studios. It is like they built the one and two bedrooms the same as the market apartments, but with the studios, they crammed as many in as possible and put nearly dorm sized appliances in these spaces. Brand X at that. Even the toilet is small (LOL).

I appreciate the opportunity to be considered, but this is not up to the usual standard of this developer. I actually live in one of their market buildings now (and have a studio) and it has about 200+ more square feet, full size appliances and the same fixtures as the other sized apartments. I have had nothing but a great experience with my current apartment. TFC (in my experience) is probably one of the best landlords in NYC (I am a long time tenant). BUT, I was really disappointed at the way the studios were done. In addition to the mini off brand appliances, there is not a lot of usable space. I would have to buy all new furniture to make it work.

So looking online at the original housing connect marketing for this building, there are only 6 one bedrooms allotted for 165 AMI and 10 one bedrooms for 130. I have CB preference, but wasn’t called that early (I guess based on my log number). Most applicants with CB preference live in LIC, and by virtue of the fact that they live here - and can afford the rent - are probably earning enough to fall into one of those categories. So those 16 apartments were taken early on. I was told that “they went fast”.

I just feel that with a little more effort and maybe having fewer available studios, they could have actually made the studios into a place one would really want to live. The rent is not that low for what you are getting. Honestly based on the quality, my current market rent is a much better deal. If the studios were $1,100, I would find it easier to swallow, and would have the attitude that “you get what you pay for”.

Unfortunately with the higher AMIs, You tend to get the least favorable deals in affordable housing.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsoculorum View Post
Oh, whoops, that was for Carableu. I apologize, I haven’t quite figured out how the forum works yet. I’m glad it’s here though. I feel like I’ve been almost completely in the dark since I submitted my first application Sept 23 of last year.
Yes, definitely get in touch with TFC. It sounds like something fell through the cracks. Although it did take a little while before they got back to me.

It is certainly worth it to look at the studios to see if it works for you. You never know!

Just my two cents, but if you are a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc. (In other works, middle class with a decent salary, but for NYC - after taxes, etc. the income doesn’t go very far), affordable housing tends not to be the best deal. I find with the higher AMIs (130, 165), they have very few one BRs available and you end up getting offered studios with near market prices. I am really disappointed in how they were done in this property. I live in a TFC building now and my experience has been great. And my rent is not much more than these studios. BUT, my current apartment is very livable. So for me, there is not much incentive to move. Even with the rent stabilized status, I would feel short changed by how these units have been designed.

For what they are charging they should have full sized appliances, more square footage, and honestly - put a washer and dryer in every apartment! Just to give an example, the dishwashers they put in could hold maybe dishes for two people for one meal (LOL).

Best of luck!

Last edited by Carableu; 07-02-2021 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 06:26 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
I wonder whether the same quality of studio units also being offered to market-rate tenants?

Quote:
Yes, definitely get in touch with TFC. It sounds like something fell through the cracks. Although it did take a little while before they got back to me.

It is certainly worth it to look at the studios to see if it works for you. You never know!

Just my two cents, but if you are a teacher, nurse, firefighter, etc. (In other works, middle class with a decent salary, but for NYC - after taxes, etc. the income doesn’t go very far), affordable housing tends not to be the best deal. I find with the higher AMIs (130, 165), they have very few one BRs available and you end up getting offered studios with near market prices. I am really disappointed in how they were done in this property. I live in a TFC building now and my experience has been great. And my rent is not much more than these studios. BUT, my current apartment is very livable. So for me, there is not much incentive to move. Even with the rent stabilized status, I would feel short changed by how these units have been designed.

For what they are charging they should have full sized appliances, more square footage, and honestly - put a washer and dryer in every apartment! Just to give an example, the dishwashers they put in could hold maybe dishes for two people for one meal (LOL).

Best of luck!

Old 07-02-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I wonder whether the same quality of studio units also being offered to market-rate tenants?
Actually, no studios are being offered to market rate tenants. I had gone to look at apartments in the building prior to getting notified to submit documents in the lottery. And I wanted to view studios and one bedrooms. The leasing agent told me the studios are for the affordable housing clients.

When I got back home yesterday I realized that the kitchens do not have back splashes, just flat paint. It’s hard to cook and keep that clean. Also the bathrooms are not tiled. They have one of those one piece inserts (embossed with a tile pattern) - similar to what you would see in a motel.

I get that you could install removable tiling as a backsplash, and try to work with the less than spacious appliances, but why is this even in issue in a building of this caliber? This is being marketed as a luxury building. Rents are not low.

This is not how it is in other TFC apartments.

Last edited by Carableu; 07-02-2021 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 07:07 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
Interesting! I wonder now, how they get away with such a good deal in tax breaks & provided this kind of housing quality to affordable housing tenants.

I understand these developers are not allowed to have 'poor door' & affordable housing units have to be spread around in the same building as market rate tenants BUT the catch is, they would build studio units with lower quality to offer to affordable housing tenants only. Is this some kind of a new game now? If this is true then it's totally not cool!

Quote:
Actually, no studios are being offered to market rate tenants. I had gone to look at apartments in the building prior to getting notified to submit documents in the lottery. And I wanted to view studios and one bedrooms. The leasing agent told me the studios are for the affordable housing clients.

When I got back home yesterday I realized that the kitchens do not have back splashes, just flat paint. It’s hard to cook and keep that clean. Also the bathrooms are not tiled. They have one of those one piece inserts (embossed with a tile pattern) - similar to what you would see in a motel.

This is not how it is in other TFC apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery