Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 03:19 PM

248 posts, read 402,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
By the way, to answer your question, the washing machines are $3.10 and the dryers are $2.20.
At that price, I'd be sending my laundry out too, and I'm a die-hard do-my-own-laundry freak. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 03:25 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
When I was living at ST several years ago, the machines did have some kind of app/web(?) notification, but I seem to recall its not working very well.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:30 PM

13 posts, read 16,041 times
Hey everybody, just an update. I finally received my offer today for a 1br. It’s in PCV off 23rd street for just under $1700 after a/c fees. I’m feeling very blessed after the long wait and this forum has really helped during the process. I’ll still be following and will be happy to answer any questions. Thanks everyone for all the help and good luck to everyone! My log was in the low 300s

Old 10-29-2021, 04:37 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
That's amazing, and congrats! You really hit the jackpot!

Old 10-29-2021, 04:51 PM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
Congratulations Hektik! That's my dream location!! Thanks for keeping us updated. When are you moving in? Please let us know how it goes :-)

Old 10-29-2021, 06:20 PM

240 posts, read 321,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Hi! Well, the garage is a big-ticket item, and you are right to look at what all your expenses will be!

By the way, to answer your question, the washing machines are $3.10 and the dryers are $2.20.

Street parking is very very very difficult here, as you thought. I don't know what you mean by the Park garages. I wouldn't want to park my car under the FDR Drive, though, unless the car is a junker.

For the monthly garage rates, look on Spot Hero, the app or the website. I'll post the link below.

I just went into Garage No. 1 on October 1. That's on 20th Street closest to First Avenue, and it is the most expensive of the six garages.

I am paying $500 a month. I applied for the Manhattan Resident Parking Tax exemption, which saves me the 8% tax and lowers my monthly cost by roughly $34. So the final price will be around $466. Still a lot of money!

But now, on Spot Hero, the price for this garage is $600!

I don't know where your apartment is located, if you have been offered one already, but the garages on or near Ave. C are cheaper. Please see the link below.

I think you said you use your car every day, right? I parked at Waterside during the pandemic, and I was paying $304 a month. You could call Waterside and see how much it costs, but it would be a walk.

Here's the Spot Hero link:

https://spothero.com/search?kind=des...e&spot-id=9792
Thanks for the link Mac. It's still double what I'm paying now but, expected in Manhattan. You're right, I don't drive daily but, my wife does though, that may change as we both work in Manhattan and, if they institute the Congestion pricing that's another consideration. I'm not there yet, and have only submitted docs but, very hopeful. If we get selected, I'd commute by ferry and, buy a motorized scooter to get around! I was thinking about Waterside and, the garage near that overpriced BP on the FDR. Again, mixed reviews but, worth a look. The laundry prices don't seem too unreasonable, more than I'm paying now but again, one pays a premium to live in Manhattan.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:53 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOLNYC1 View Post
Thanks for the link Mac. It's still double what I'm paying now but, expected in Manhattan. You're right, I don't drive daily but, my wife does though, that may change as we both work in Manhattan and, if they institute the Congestion pricing that's another consideration. I'm not there yet, and have only submitted docs but, very hopeful. If we get selected, I'd commute by ferry and, buy a motorized scooter to get around! I was thinking about Waterside and, the garage near that overpriced BP on the FDR. Again, mixed reviews but, worth a look. The laundry prices don't seem too unreasonable, more than I'm paying now but again, one pays a premium to live in Manhattan.
Hi! I just came across this garage in the neighborhood. It's located in what used to be a residence hall for Beth Israel staff and is now a New School dorm (with cool red windows). It's on 17th Street and First Ave.

Anyway, the same company that runs the Stuy Town garages, LAZ, is in charge of this one too, but it might be worth checking out if you get offered an apartment on the First Avenue side of ST.

https://www.lazparking.com/local/new...an-hall-garage

This site shows it for $375 a month, and then you would be eligible at some point for the Manhattan Resident Parking Tax Exemption after you move in:

https://www.parkwhiz.com/p/new-york-...-st/?monthly=1

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-30-2021 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-30-2021, 08:02 AM

13 posts, read 16,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
Congratulations Hektik! That's my dream location!! Thanks for keeping us updated. When are you moving in? Please let us know how it goes :-)
Thank you! My lease starts the third week of November. I will keep everyone updated, good luck!

Old 10-30-2021, 08:37 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
Phew!!! Another PC apartment for ~$1700! These are wonderful stories.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:18 AM

248 posts, read 402,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Phew!!! Another PC apartment for ~$1700! These are wonderful stories.
Truly hope-inspiring. I'm so happy for anyone who lands a deal like that. Envious, yes, but truly happy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery