Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 10:28 AM

54 posts, read 66,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You should definitely complain to Stuy Town management at Beam Living. The work is being done by outside contractors, and obviously is not up to standards, sad to say. Still, someone at Beam Living had to have signed off on it.

Since you are now a resident, I would try texting 212-420-5000 to contact Beam Living and ask them who to contact. Maybe don't say you're a lottery winner unless they ask you point-blank.

Another resident, not a lottery winner that I know of, recently posted on the TA Facebook page that he had problems with his floor. In his case, the workers apparently just went over the existing floor with black stain, which was flaking up and getting all over. I believe he was successful in getting it remedied, but not sure. I will post if I find out.

Also consider joining the above mentioned group on Facebook, which is called Stuyvesant Town - Peter Cooper Village Tenants Association. It has tons of helpful info. You don't have to be a member of the TA to join, you just need to be a resident. The photo shows two balloons, T and A.

Good luck!
Thank you! Thank you Mac! It did seem once they came by the unit and realized lottery winner the concern to fix the MANY issues were no longer cared for he even made some fairly inappropriate comments about the damages that even he mentioned he “probably shouldn’t say”. It was just a disheartening experience.
I will join the fb group. I’m getting the impression if you are a lottery winner you are a second class resident in Beams eyes =(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 10:35 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwalker View Post
Thank you! Thank you Mac! It did seem once they came by the unit and realized lottery winner the concern to fix the MANY issues were no longer cared for he even made some fairly inappropriate comments about the damages that even he mentioned he “probably shouldn’t say”. It was just a disheartening experience.
I will join the fb group. I’m getting the impression if you are a lottery winner you are a second class resident in Beams eyes =(
You shouldn't be made to feel like a second-class citizen. That's just wrong.

It's also very shortsighted on Beam/Blackstone's part to not care about the condition of any unit, regardless if it's lottery or not. As a resident, you could easily savage the place on Yelp if you felt like.

Also, our local representatives are very helpful and very involved with ST/PCV. You could wait a bit to see if your problems are rectified, and then give our city councilman, Keith Powers, a call. He's been very involved with affordable housing, and he will be interested to learn that a lottery winner is being treated so shabbily.

https://council.nyc.gov/keith-powers/staff/

He often replies to the Tenants Association Facebook group if you tag him in.

Just be aware that some people think that management has staffers in the Facebook group to keep an eye on things. I don't know if that is true or not, but I suppose any Beam people who live at ST/PCV could become members.

Give management a little time, though, maybe a week or so, before you escalate.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-25-2021 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 11:28 AM

64 posts, read 95,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwalker View Post
I can also confirm they wait till the last minute to work on your unit before move in. I’m shocked your floors were cleaned/ redone! Mine were full of paint splatter. My unit was honestly a mess and I’m not sure who to go to about it. Maintenance gave the impression they were too lazy to fix anything.. When you get a chance do you mind sending pictures?
Congrats on your new home!

I have also experienced some of the same issues as Nycwalker. I have had resident services help with window screens and outlets but when it comes to the paint and rushed job no follow up. They sent someone who checked and sent an email that follow up was needed. I went in person but they stated that it was the Welcome Team's job. Haven't had success with the welcome team yet. Nycwalker, you may have to go to the welcome office and show them pictures.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:16 AM

269 posts, read 334,999 times
Objectively comparing a 1BR at StuyTown and Studio at PennSouth...What are the pros & cons?

My thoughts...

ST is more space

Both seem to have favorable communities

PS is an easier trip to my current UWS job

ST seems easier to accept, much less of a process

What about cost if I can only put down minimum for PS...?

Long term cost (30-40 years)...?

Ideas...?

Old 10-28-2021, 07:54 AM

This is an interesting question, Sunny!

I personally am very fond of Stuy Town, as I'm sure everyone here knows. It's a way of being in the heart of the city without feeling you are in Manhattan. The lawns, landscaping, grassy Oval and the development's proximity to the water contribute to that effect.

To answer your question, I think it depends on what you're interested in. If long-term affordability matters most to you, Penn South wins, hands down, in my opinion, with a caveat or two.

This Stuy Town lottery guarantees affordability for 20 years. Penn South, on the other hand, must stay a limited-equity co-op until 2052 because of low-interest loans they took out to do repairs on the buildings.

You're on the studio list for PS, right? So even if you have to take out a loan, the carrying costs are so low that your total monthly outlay will be less than the rent on a one-bedroom in ST. Then, after three years in the studio, you can upgrade to the one-bedroom of your choice. Of course you will have to pay for the one-bedroom also, and I really don't know how that works. But let's say within five years you have a nice one-bedroom in Penn South. Once you pay off your mortgage, your monthly payment will be super affordable.

Then, if you're still there in 2052 and the co-op votes to go market, then you could sell your apartment for whatever co-ops in Chelsea are going for at the time.

In Stuy Town, on the other hand, your rent will only go up. Now that inflation seems to be back, we are looking at more sizable annual increases. Plus, as a rent-stabilized tenant, you will be on the hook for any major capital improvements the landlord wants to do. The new pro-tenant rent laws toned down the effect of MCIs somewhat, but they still get added to your rent for 30 years. I'm thinking the plumbing in ST/PCV needs to be replaced, and that will be a biggie. Plus whatever else the landlord feels like doing (we residents don't get a say in that).

My caveat about Penn South: The building were built in the 1960s and are showing their age. Already part of the plumbing had to be replaced, an enormous job considering the apartments are all occupied. Plus very expensive. The rest of the plumbing probably needs to be replaced, and at some point the monthly charges will go up. How much? I have no idea.

But from my vantage point, buying a co-op when you're young and paying it off is the best bet. I envy my friends who have done that and are now paying only monthly maintenance. Plus they have an asset they can sell if needed, assuming they're in a market co-op and not a limited-equity co-op.

You are lucky that you have the option of Penn South or Stuy Town! That's the bottom line!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-28-2021 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-28-2021, 02:39 PM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
Mac, I've heard a little about the 20 year deal for Stuytown, but can you help me understand what that actually means? Does that mean in 20 years it can become de-stabilized? If I move to Stuytown, I'd like it to be for the long haul.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:44 PM

Well, I don't know what it means for sure, except that after 20 years you have no guarantee of still being rent stabilized.

We don't know who's going to be running NYC in 20 years. It's possible the deal gets extended, or that market rate rents are phased in over a number of years, or that your rent would go to market rate right away.

Also, in a worst-case scenario, if you're not rent stabilized in 20 years, you could be required to move.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:37 PM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
Oh wow, thanks.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:57 PM

248 posts, read 402,908 times
I think Stuytown is the bees knees and I would happily live there; but I would beg, borrow, or steal to get a place in Penn South. It's the more stable option long-term, in my view.

PS was the first lottery to truly break my heart. You always remember your first.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
I think Stuytown is the bees knees and I would happily live there; but I would beg, borrow, or steal to get a place in Penn South. It's the more stable option long-term, in my view.

PS was the first lottery to truly break my heart. You always remember your first.
What happened?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery