Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2021, 08:52 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOLNYC1 View Post
mac as you're always in the know can you tell us the difference between a regular apartment and a junior? Looking on the stuytown.com website, it shows both but not very descriptive. Am I correct in assuming that a regular has more square footage than a junior? Also, do you know what the lottery apartments are? Thanks in advance!
Yes, a junior two-bedroom is the same as a one-bedroom where the living room has been sectioned off by a wall to make the second bedroom. So instead of a living room, there is a windowless hallway where you could put your couch. It is also called a flex apartment.

It is a way of cramming more roommates into an apartment so that the rent can be divided among more people.

A junior three-bedroom is actually a two-bedroom, etc.

Good news: There are no junior or flex apartments in this lottery, so you don’t have to worry about that!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-22-2021 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 06:46 AM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
I know this was mentioned before, but I don't believe it was ever answered. Has anyone gone on the tour? I assume it's just for non-lottery people. I would love to at least see the inside of a building (the laundry room, lobby, etc), as I know we can't see the actual apartment.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:26 AM

I know you can book a tour online, but that’s all I know. I bet they will ask you about your housing needs and budget, etc. I guess see how much personal info they require and how much you’re comfortable sharing.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:27 AM

173 posts, read 147,271 times
If it's helpful for anyone to know: renovations really do happen up until your move-in date. Got my keys today and saw that they're finishing up my unit, with my lease starting Monday. I saw about 6 people inside today still cleaning up, installing A/Cs and putting finishing touches.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
If it's helpful for anyone to know: renovations really do happen up until your move-in date. Got my keys today and saw that they're finishing up my unit, with my lease starting Monday. I saw about 6 people inside today still cleaning up, installing A/Cs and putting finishing touches.
Cool! Congrats! It’s nice they let you in “early”! What were your impressions? Did you get to look out the window? How do you like your location?

Old 10-23-2021, 10:34 PM

173 posts, read 147,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Cool! Congrats! It’s nice they let you in “early”! What were your impressions? Did you get to look out the window? How do you like your location?
The pictures and online tour definitely made the place seem a little bigger than it actually, the living room specifically. Also unfortunate they provided me with the wrong floor plan, since it showed a galley kitchen and I actually have the weirdly shaped one typical at Stuytown, though I was expecting that was the case.

In terms of the renovations, they seemed pretty spot on with the pictures they sent for reference. Floors also look redone / cleaned up. The location is also pretty quiet, but also not too far from the L train, probably a 5-7 minute walk. Overall very happy with the place.

The views are great! Awesome views of the East River just like you said I might have. Once I actually move-in, I'll be sure to send some pictures over.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:52 AM

Wow, that's exciting about the view. You got lucky!

Yes, the galley kitchen is rare in Stuy Town but much much more common in PCV. After a while, though, your kitchen won't seem so odd to you. It's actually laid out for efficiency.

It's so funny, when I first saw my apartment almost 30 years ago, I had the same thought about the living room being smaller than I expected. But as I have come to learn, you can put a lot of stuff into the dining foyer, right opposite the kitchen. I have a piano in there and also a round dining table with chairs.

In some modern buildings, you're expected to eat in the living room, but you don't have to do that in Stuy Town unless you want to! Then the foyer would be a great spot for a desk and some bookcases.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-24-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 AM

54 posts, read 66,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
The pictures and online tour definitely made the place seem a little bigger than it actually, the living room specifically. Also unfortunate they provided me with the wrong floor plan, since it showed a galley kitchen and I actually have the weirdly shaped one typical at Stuytown, though I was expecting that was the case.

In terms of the renovations, they seemed pretty spot on with the pictures they sent for reference. Floors also look redone / cleaned up. The location is also pretty quiet, but also not too far from the L train, probably a 5-7 minute walk. Overall very happy with the place.

The views are great! Awesome views of the East River just like you said I might have. Once I actually move-in, I'll be sure to send some pictures over.
I can also confirm they wait till the last minute to work on your unit before move in. I’m shocked your floors were cleaned/ redone! Mine were full of paint splatter. My unit was honestly a mess and I’m not sure who to go to about it. Maintenance gave the impression they were too lazy to fix anything.. When you get a chance do you mind sending pictures?
Congrats on your new home!

Old 10-25-2021, 09:33 AM

42 posts, read 57,318 times
A quick update on my situation, if anyone is interested: I submitted documents in late June, received a disqualification notice for not submitting my documents in late July and appealed when I received that notice. It's been radio silence since then, except for one email acknowledging receipt of my appeal, but I finally received an email today saying they have received my documents and my "file is now being processed." Fingers crossed!! I know I've seen other people on this thread say they've gotten messages saying there are no apartments available right now, so I'm not sure what that will mean for me...

My log number is in the low 400s and I'm trying for a one-bedroom.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwalker View Post
I can also confirm they wait till the last minute to work on your unit before move in. I’m shocked your floors were cleaned/ redone! Mine were full of paint splatter. My unit was honestly a mess and I’m not sure who to go to about it. Maintenance gave the impression they were too lazy to fix anything.. When you get a chance do you mind sending pictures?
Congrats on your new home!
You should definitely complain to Stuy Town management at Beam Living. The work is being done by outside contractors, and obviously is not up to standards, sad to say. Still, someone at Beam Living had to have signed off on it.

Since you are now a resident, I would try texting 212-420-5000 to contact Beam Living and ask them who to contact. Maybe don't say you're a lottery winner unless they ask you point-blank.

Another resident, not a lottery winner that I know of, recently posted on the TA Facebook page that he had problems with his floor. In his case, the workers apparently just went over the existing floor with black stain, which was flaking up and getting all over. I believe he was successful in getting it remedied, but not sure. I will post if I find out.

Also consider joining the above mentioned group on Facebook, which is called Stuyvesant Town - Peter Cooper Village Tenants Association. It has tons of helpful info. You don't have to be a member of the TA to join, you just need to be a resident. The photo shows two balloons, T and A.

Good luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-25-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery