Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 08:30 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,879,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr19 View Post
Just wanted to share that I FINALLY received an apartment offer today!!!!!!!! I was in the 290s and the rent is in the upper $1700s for a streetfacing 1bedroom on 20th st (more expensive than I bargained for, but still thinking I'll take it). Going to swing by tomorrow to see if I can find my unit. Wondering if anyone knows about the noise level on 20th? I don't think it should be too bad.

Hopefully I don't run into any credit check issues as GiaCash did!
u should be good. I used to work over there and 20th street was not noisy at all. congrats. Make sure you open the windows of the apt when you’re in it to hear the noise for yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpable View Post
Most people here have recommended submitting separately and that's what I did. Literally a PDF for every statement and document they ask for. Also do not Zip. I remember people saying earlier in this thread not to do that.

I never tried the phone number, but it should work. They just might not pick up every time
In my humble opinion, Stuy Town created this problem. They should have set up a secure portal for delivery of sensitive documents, and not rely on email and stipulating applicants can't zip files.

But of course you have to comply because you have no choice at this point.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-15-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-15-2021, 11:42 AM

173 posts, read 147,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
In my humble opinion, Stuy Town created this problem. They should have set up a secure portal for delivery of sensitive documents, and not rely on email and stipulating applicants can't zip files.

Fully agree.. basically how the new Housing Connect page does it is ideal in facilitating document delivery, especially when there's potentially 10+ files to upload.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:21 PM

151 posts, read 199,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanCat View Post
May I ask some stupid questions? I'm low 15XX, and I just got an invitation to submit all my paperwork today.

I feel a little nervous sending my bank statements. I have nothing to hide--I'm just worried about identity theft. Is one supposed to redact the account info? I have no debt and a perfect credit rating. I'm SO TIRED of living in a tiny two-room studio (~300 sq. ft but with high ceilings), but I am wary of not being able to see the place first. I would want to walk inside and feel the vibe. I live across the street from StuyTown (on 15th between 1st and 2nd) and had good friends who lived there (on 14th between A & B, which would be my dream location), but still.

Also, I have two little cats. They are quiet, as am I, and I'm also a neat freak. Do they prefer people without pets?

Can anyone share what they thought about the apartments that they got through this lottery? Do you like the apt? Is it better or worse than you expected? Do you sign a one or two year lease? Can they seriously jack up the rent? I'm SO curious about what people ended up with and whether they were satisfied with what they got. I wouldn't want to end up in an unrenovated crappy place in Siberia--then I would just keep my little 15th Street place.

Would love any advice, personal experiences, pros and cons, etc. Thanks in advance!
I totally understand how you feel. I wish I could even just see the inside of a building, the lobby, laundry room, etc. Apartments are all renovated though, from what we've been told here. I would love to know how people feel about living in Stuytown too. I visited and it seemed like a great place to live to me, but I am nervous.

I'm in a situation that I love my neighborhood (upper east side) but not my walk up, no laundry room, run down building, My building was just sold and they are renovating, so I wish I had time to see what they're going to do (and possibly offer me). They can't kick me out because I'm rent stabilized but they won't renovate my actual apartment. I've been here forever (20+ years), it's also a studio, but a large rent stabilized studio. If I leave and am unhappy I can't just move back to something similar. I feel like it's past due that I have a "grown up" apartment, and the Stuytown ones look pretty amazing to me. My commute will be awful, I will miss my neighborhood, but I am 95% sure I would do it. I have such anxiety about all of this though. So it would be really nice to hear that people love it there....

Old 10-15-2021, 03:55 PM

173 posts, read 147,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
I totally understand how you feel. I wish I could even just see the inside of a building, the lobby, laundry room, etc. Apartments are all renovated though, from what we've been told here. I would love to know how people feel about living in Stuytown too. I visited and it seemed like a great place to live to me, but I am nervous.

I'm in a situation that I love my neighborhood (upper east side) but not my walk up, no laundry room, run down building, My building was just sold and they are renovating, so I wish I had time to see what they're going to do (and possibly offer me). They can't kick me out because I'm rent stabilized but they won't renovate my actual apartment. I've been here forever (20+ years), it's also a studio, but a large rent stabilized studio. If I leave and am unhappy I can't just move back to something similar. I feel like it's past due that I have a "grown up" apartment, and the Stuytown ones look pretty amazing to me. My commute will be awful, I will miss my neighborhood, but I am 95% sure I would do it. I have such anxiety about all of this though. So it would be really nice to hear that people love it there....
I think a one-bed will change your life from a comfort perspective. It'll be renovated, you'll have a laundry room, and StuyTown is well-maintained. You'll also still stay rent stabilized.

Neighborhood-wise is something that cannot change but I think the general LES area is fun, though a bit young generally speaking. StuyTown itself has a good mix of people it seems.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:56 PM

239 posts, read 321,059 times
Quote:

After reading all of these comments, I'm thinking about mailing them! If I finish gathering everything this weekend, I may consider it. I have almost everything ready and can print out the files just as easy as a I can email them. If I did it, I would send it certified so, I could track and, verify it was sent and received.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:56 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
I have written numerous posts on this thread on what living here is like. Maybe others will post too.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I'm a longtime resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSKOOLNYC1 View Post
After reading all of these comments, I'm thinking about mailing them! If I finish gathering everything this weekend, I may consider it. I have almost everything ready and can print out the files just as easy as a I can email them. If I did it, I would send it certified so, I could track and, verify it was sent and received.
Was that an option that you were offered? If not, I wouldn't do it. Suppose the person processing you doesn't have a scanner? (They are all working from home.)

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-15-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 10-15-2021, 04:27 PM

151 posts, read 199,710 times
Quote:
I would check with them about the certified thing. On the original application, back in March, it said "applications mailed through a parcel carrier or any express delivery by USPS that requires a signature will not be accepted." It may be different for this step but if I were you, I'd make sure.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:22 PM

239 posts, read 321,059 times
Quote:
I have written numerous posts on this thread on what living here is like. Maybe others will post too.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I'm a longtime resident.

Was that an option that you were offered? If not, I wouldn't do it. Suppose the person processing you doesn't have a scanner? (They are all working from home.)
Yes, they gave me a mailing address. 276 1st Avenue Loop, New York, NY 10009.
It did say USPS but, did not specify any strictures like Certified or inability to sign for mail.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:28 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,059 times
Back in the day, I sent my documents through USPS with certified mail but no signature required, I just needed to know that my mail was delivered on time & I have proof, just in case.

Quote:
Yes, they gave me a mailing address. 276 1st Avenue Loop, New York, NY 10009.
It did say USPS but, did not specify any strictures like Certified or inability to sign for mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery