Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 07:13 PM

42 posts, read 57,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuytowntorn View Post
Alacritousalpaca Yes I was part of the Soring 2021 cohort. Have you checked your spam folder? My first notice ended up there unfortunately.
Thanks for answering! Yes, I've been keeping an eye on my spam folder. I have been hearing from them; I just haven't been offered an apartment. I was first asked to provide documents in June, did so, wrongly received a notice that I'd been disqualified due to not submitting documents at the end of July, and appealed the disqualification at the beginning of August. In November I was asked to provide updated bank statements, which made me think they might have an apartment for me, but then a couple of weeks ago I got a boilerplate email saying there were no available one-bedrooms. I was able to reach someone on the phone who told me there would be no more one-bedrooms available for at least the next two months or so while they finished renovations.

I wonder if my wrongful disqualification pushed me back in the queue somehow (if that's the case, that's really frustrating, since it was their error not mine), or if they're just not processing people in order of log number...maybe they're working in batches? I truly have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM

64 posts, read 95,411 times
Being here for a few months, I agree with almost all of this. Thank you for being unbiased
I unfortunately have a low lvl apartment with no light but I tend to not hear my neighbors that much, so that's a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycwalker View Post
Going to repost my pm...
Perfect timing I was just checking in on this group. I will post in the public forum as well.
My honest opinion (sigh) someone has to be a serious drug user to pay market rate rent here.
The positives it's like having a gated community within the city. The property itself is VERY quiet but I guess that can depend on where your unit is located. The grounds is great besides the dog poo but I always watch where I step in nyc. The neighbors have been extremely welcoming. I love the community activities can't wait to see what they have during the summer. Resident services has been very kind and public safety. Maintenance will give you the REAL low down about the property. Seems everyone feels like Blackstone will be the death of ST-PCV and they are very vocal about how terrible of a landlord they are. The maintenance process has no order or system but again that seems to stem from lack of staff and no one wanting to work under Blackstone. I'm lucky my apt does have a ton of natural light I don't think I could do it on a lower floor. You can see into those units easily and I know they have to hear everything on the street level. While we are on the subject of noise yes the reviews are 100000% true you can hear your neighbors like no place I've ever experienced. Whether they are noisy or not there is ZERO insulation in-between apartments next to you and above or below you. Ridiculously thin walls and floor. I've unfortunately experienced the Stuytown "brown water". The units are very large! I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to take a unit here market rate and imo I wouldn't recommend unless someone was miserable where they lived, or paid an obscene amount for rent. It's still going to boil down to quality of living they need to slowly start adding insulation padding to each unit they "remodel" it's not your normal city living loudness.
Overall it depends on your particular situation whether to live here or not.

To add the fall and early winter can be brutal with the heating situation because well there isn't any =( but in the full swing of winter it's gotten much better (well in my unit). I haven't had any packages stolen so far but I can see how it can happen. Granted Stuytown has large clear signs telling the delivery services do not to leave any packages in the lobby.
Feel free to message me with any questions I'll give an honest unbiased opinion.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:31 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Jmmrivs, I'm glad you're liking it here!

Just for the record, I'm getting so much heat today, I actually have some windows open. And it's 16 degrees outside.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:43 AM

240 posts, read 321,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Jmmrivs, I'm glad you're liking it here!

Just for the record, I'm getting so much heat today, I actually have some windows open. And it's 16 degrees outside.
That's one of those good problems! I have it too where I currently live. I often have a window cracked, keep a bottle of water nearby and, over the weekend slept topless as the heat is just overwhelming. I never complain about too much heat, I'd much rather be in this position and, adjust accordingly than, have to rely on a space heater that can cause devastating problems!

Old 01-11-2022, 09:11 AM

269 posts, read 334,999 times
Just had my heat pipes wrapped.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:21 PM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
Just had my heat pipes wrapped.
What does that do and who do you call to get it done?

Old 01-11-2022, 05:04 PM

54 posts, read 66,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
What does that do and who do you call to get it done?
Helps reduce the amount of heat radiating off of the pipes. You can call resident services. If it's ever too hot I just open the windows. Or you can turn on the a/c. I consider it a great problem to have too much heat especially how cold it was inside for the fall and beginning of the winter. I hope especially after the recent tragedy they don't continue to have it cold in the units fall/winter because I know a lot of residents who utilize space heaters to get them through those months due to the lack of heat from ST-PCV.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:20 AM

52 posts, read 44,219 times
I just got an email from Stuytown saying that they are ready to process my application (log # 20xx) and asking for documents. I'm from the 2021 lottery and I fall within the rent guidelines due to having a voucher. I'm just wondering if 1 bedroom units are still scarce and would I have better luck applying for a 2 bedroom with my younger brother?

Old 01-12-2022, 07:25 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
That's something you will have to ask the people running the lottery. I'm thinking that one-bedrooms are the most prevalent size in Stuy Town, with two-bedrooms not far behind. (Three-bedrooms are scarce.) So why a two-bedroom would be available and a one-bedroom not, I don't know.

As I said, you need to ask.

Would your voucher cover a two-bedroom, even considering you might get one that is the most expensive? (You will not be able to choose. What you get, you get.) The top price of a two-bedroom is $2,600.

Does your brother want to live in Stuy Town with you? Will you still qualify if his income is added to yours? Would Stuy Town allow you to change the household composition? It's worth asking, if you think the two-bedroom would better meet your needs in the long run.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-12-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-12-2022, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 57,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTresident View Post
I just got an email from Stuytown saying that they are ready to process my application (log # 20xx) and asking for documents. I'm from the 2021 lottery and I fall within the rent guidelines due to having a voucher. I'm just wondering if 1 bedroom units are still scarce and would I have better luck applying for a 2 bedroom with my younger brother?
My guess (and it's just a guess, I don't have any insider info!) is that you would have better luck/get chosen sooner with a 2-bedroom. Last month I was told there were no one-bedroom units available, and they said to let them know if I wanted/qualified for a 2-bedroom instead, which I took to mean there were 2-bedrooms available, or at least that there would be 2-bedrooms available sooner. The best thing would be to try to ask the Stuytown lottery people directly, but it's hard to reach them and idk if they will be willing to tell you anything. Worth a try though?

My log number is in the 400s, but someone recently said they got offered a 1-bedroom with a log number in the 1000s, so I have no idea how many people would be ahead of you for a 1-bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery