Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2022, 10:29 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times

Advertisements

”Oh, I found a new place.”

If there are people in your life who aren't grown enough to cope with an acquaintance having some good fortune, you're better off weeding those people out. Don't waste your time on people who don't cheer you on when you're doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 10:51 AM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
I tell everyone, lol. I never thought that people would be jealous, but maybe? In my experience everyone has been excited for me, as I've been a crazy wreck through this process and they all had to deal with me.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:50 PM

171 posts, read 183,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
It's now my turn to share good news - I got an offer for a one bedroom and have accepted! Kinda perfect, kinda crazy timing as my lease ends at the end of the month (AND i'm going on vacation on the 30th) so I'm going to have to do this super quickly. Things are moving guys...
Congrats! It's especially nice when the timing works well with your current lease ending, that's the tricky part of it all.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:54 PM

[quote=alacritousalpaca;63272557]Question for any of the current/new StuyTown residents--has anyone figured out what the most affordable way to get window screens is? The person at the Welcome Center told me it would be about $60/window (+tax) to have Resident Services do it. The Ace Hardware at 19th and 1st said they sell them for $120(!!) for each living room/bedroom screen, and $85-90 for kitchen and bathroom screens. I'm not sure if there's anywhere else to buy them--I'm going to try calling a few more hardware stores, but thought I'd check here first in case anyone has already done the research. (I've also been keeping an eye on some of the StuyTown facebook groups in case anyone is selling theirs secondhand, but so far no luck...)

On a less practical note, does anyone have any thoughts or words of wisdom on when/how to reveal that you won a housing lottery and when not to? I've been trying to keep quiet about it, because I don't want people (coworkers, friends that aren't that close) to be jealous, but it feels awkward when it comes up in conversation that I've moved, and I don't have a good answer to "why did you move?". I'm getting a lot of questions because anyone who knows what my job is knows I don't earn enough to afford to live here at market rate. I'd love to know how other people are navigating this, or plan to navigate it![/QUO

People shouldn't be so nosey asking you a lot of questions!

I plan to just say I like the neighborhood, for closer friends/family they know I am moving to afford a larger place.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:57 PM

I got my first reply back after sending my documents a couple of weeks ago! They needed some updated statements (which weren't available yet when I submitted before), hoping this is a good sign they are reviewing my stuff!!

Old 04-16-2022, 05:26 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
I would say to just bite the bullet and pay the $60 per screen that management is asking, especially if it includes installation. The ones from Ace aren’t as nice, in my opinion. Years ago there was a resident who provided second-hand screens, but since the local newspaper went under, I don’t know if he’s still in business.

I really encourage you to get screens. Otherwise you will be hosting a parade of flying insects all spring, summer and fall. The other day I happened to see a huge bug fly into my neighbor’s window. She’s on the 11th floor. I hate flies and mosquitoes and it makes me queasy if they land on my food. So get the screens!

Old 04-17-2022, 09:31 PM

31 posts, read 31,456 times
SOOOO happy I found this forum. The secretiveness of this whole process is maddening.
I'm on the hold list with a log number of 3###. I was really excited when I got emailed that I was on the hold list-- but they don't specify how many people are on there?? Any idea or educated guesses on how likely I am to possibly receive a unit by end of June? It sucks feeling like I may be so close to the finish line but might have to pass up simply due to receiving an offer after already signing a new lease.

Edit: I'm also a government worker and I know the law requires at least 5% to go to gov workers so idk if that maybe "bumps" me up some more (most likely not considering the sheer amount of gov workers in NYC- but mentioning it just in case it changes any responses)

Old 04-18-2022, 04:00 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolokwow View Post
Edit: I'm also a government worker and I know the law requires at least 5% to go to gov workers so idk if that maybe "bumps" me up some more (most likely not considering the sheer amount of gov workers in NYC- but mentioning it just in case it changes any responses)
Only some lotteries have a 5% municipal worker preference. Not all lotteries have preferences. Not all “government workers” are municipal workers. For example, working for the IRS is not being a municipal worker nor would being for NY State government.

In any case, this Stuyvesant town lottery does not use preferences.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:31 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
lolokwow, what size apartment? For some unknown reason, the two-bedrooms have been more available than the one-bedrooms.

I agree with Harry. In lotteries that have a municipal worker preference, you would have to be employed by a city agency, for example DOE or NYPD. But Stuy Town doesn't have any preference groups except for the general one of NYC residents.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:41 AM

31 posts, read 31,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
lolokwow, what size apartment? For some unknown reason, the two-bedrooms have been more available than the one-bedrooms.

I agree with Harry. In lotteries that have a municipal worker preference, you would have to be employed by a city agency, for example DOE or NYPD. But Stuy Town doesn't have any preference groups except for the general one of NYC residents.
Ahh understood. I'm on the hold for a 1 bedroom but honestly just give me anything lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery