Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2022, 05:11 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How do the rent get match with the apartment? I keep receiving an answer that when they find unit that match my income?? Isn’t the rent goes by income and when apartment is finished it’s offered to one by the amount they can afford? I am so lost in this process already been waiting for an offer since Aug 30th. The max rent I can pay is $2200 I don’t understand why my log takes so long ?! Please someone put some sense in to this for me.
In a nutshell, the Stuy Town/PCV lottery rents are determined by what the previous tenant was paying plus an increase granted to the landlord by virtue of renovations.

So for example, if a two-bedroom at 19 Stuy Oval after renovation will rent for $2,600, based on what the law allows for increases, you cannot afford that particular apartment and have to wait for a unit that will rent for no more than 30% of your income.

You sit tight for a couple of weeks or months, and let's say a two-bedroom apartment at 270 First Avenue is renovated. Because the former tenant lived there for 40 years, that rent is lower and will be $2,200 after being renovated. That's the apartment you will qualify for.

When this lottery started, the next available apartment was assigned to the next person approved on the list. Income was not taken into account. This resulted in some sad mismatches where a person earning $40,000 a year was given the highest-priced apartment, which was not affordable. Some people evidently brought this to the attention of HPD, and the agency made Stuy Town change its procedures.

Now new residents can't be made to pay more than 30% of their income on rent. This is much fairer, but it means that the process is slower, as income and rent have to be matched.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-31-2022 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 08:55 AM

17 posts, read 15,275 times
thanks, macnyc2003, you are, as always, a fantastic source of inside info!

I have two questions that you may be able to answer:

1) in your reply above that you mention 30% of income as the ceiling for the ultimate rental price. Seems like a lot of other posters say the threshold is 35%. I'd be happy to discover that you are correct!

2) I have a high number (9,2xx) for a 2-bedroom but I saw that someone in the 8xxx's just got a 2-bedroom and have started to have some hope. I've periodically checked the "application" link from stuytown (https://www.stuytownlottery.com/application) which used to display a line with your name, status and log #. Today that link throws an error. Do you know if they have disabled it or if there is a new link? Should I contact the office?

thanks for your insight!

Old 10-31-2022, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 15,275 times
O! I just found another link by googling the lottery that still seems to work and shows application status:
https://app.stuytownlottery.com/lott...rrent-projects

Takes you to the login and then the status page. Glad I found it!

Old 10-31-2022, 09:37 AM

345 posts, read 853,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfitz151 View Post
O! I just found another link by googling the lottery that still seems to work and shows application status:
https://app.stuytownlottery.com/lott...rrent-projects

Takes you to the login and then the status page. Glad I found it!
Mine says "Tenant selection in progress". Whatever that means. I have a very high number.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:15 AM

72 posts, read 76,393 times
Are you going for a 1 or 2 bedroom? What's your log number? Our log was 70xx, was called to submit docs on June 30th and received the offer October 11th.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfitz151 View Post
thanks, macnyc2003, you are, as always, a fantastic source of inside info!

I have two questions that you may be able to answer:

1) in your reply above that you mention 30% of income as the ceiling for the ultimate rental price. Seems like a lot of other posters say the threshold is 35%. I'd be happy to discover that you are correct!

2) I have a high number (9,2xx) for a 2-bedroom but I saw that someone in the 8xxx's just got a 2-bedroom and have started to have some hope. I've periodically checked the "application" link from stuytown (https://www.stuytownlottery.com/application) which used to display a line with your name, status and log #. Today that link throws an error. Do you know if they have disabled it or if there is a new link? Should I contact the office?

thanks for your insight!
Sorry, I don't know if it's 30% or 35%. I was relying on my memory. I'm sure whatever the recent applicants say is correct!

Have you been asked for documents? You might as well have some hope! Why not?

It's very hard to track how the log numbers are going. Apparently, applicants have been divvied up when new workers sign on, and log numbers given to those workers may get called faster that the applicants who remained with the original processor. It's confusing, but several posters have said this.

Best of luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-31-2022 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-31-2022, 01:14 PM

345 posts, read 853,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markienyc View Post
Are you going for a 1 or 2 bedroom? What's your log number? Our log was 70xx, was called to submit docs on June 30th and received the offer October 11th.
2 BR --my number is 13XXX.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:22 PM

72 posts, read 76,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
2 BR --my number is 13XXX.
I wouldn't give up hope yet! Keep an eye on where the log numbers are at.

Last edited by markienyc; 10-31-2022 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Misspell

Old 10-31-2022, 03:45 PM

13 posts, read 11,034 times
Hi, all!
I moved in last Thurs. and am very happy with my new apartment. I'm near Resident Services and while the basketball courts are a little noisy it's so much better than the traffic on 7th Avenue where I previously lived.

Two weeks before I moved here my building was destabilized and tenants were evacuated and given emergency housing through the Red Cross. It's been a crazy time, but how lucky I was to have this new place already lined up! So I moved in on Thurs. with no furniture. I'm calling it my non-move I'm living like a monk with what Family and friends have scrounged up: a card table, folding chairs, an air mattress, and some lamps. All of this is to say, I'd love to join the Buy Nothing group. Where can I find it? Also, someone mentioned a Stuytown resident forum, I think. I'd like to find that as well. Thx!

finally, I thought I would have been given some info about the apartment--info about heat, changing kitchen/bathroom lights. My brain is a bit broken from everything that's happened so maybe there's some welcome info I missed.

Anyway, feeling so grateful to be here. And congrats to all who have gotten recent offers.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:40 PM

Wow, what a story! You should definitely join the group. Folks will be happy to give you stuff, especially under the circumstances. It’s on Facebook. Search for Buy Nothing Stuyvesant Town/Gramercy Park, Manhattan, New York.

I also belong to the Stuyvesant Town Peter Cooper Tenants group on Facebook.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery