Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 01:39 PM

453 posts, read 499,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syad8486 View Post
I don't blame you. If I have to pay over $2000 for rent I expect a nice view. They can keep their amenities
Haha, and it is $84 pppm for amenities, so those aren't even included in the 2k! Particularly in SVEN, they don't even have any amenities on a high floor or even a rooftop terrace, so unless you get an apartment with a view, you may as well not be living in a skyscraper because you won't get to enjoy that view at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 02:18 PM

229 posts, read 241,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Haha, and it is $84 pppm for amenities, so those aren't even included in the 2k! Particularly in SVEN, they don't even have any amenities on a high floor or even a rooftop terrace, so unless you get an apartment with a view, you may as well not be living in a skyscraper because you won't get to enjoy that view at all.
Haha , so true . But people who never lived in a high rise building don’t know better .

Amenities are a plus but the truth is you don’t get to use them at all .. maybe once or twice a month or never

Old 06-22-2022, 05:29 PM

16 posts, read 18,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee619 View Post
So around 2 months for the entire process. Not so bad. & congrats!! Thanks for keeping us posted

Were you interested in a studio/1bd/2bd? I think there were multiple price points for all. Did they offer you a choice or just dif floorplans within the same price?
Thank you!! I put down that I was interested in a studio or 1 bedroom in my application and they gave me floorplans for both since that's what I qualified for. I had to decide which floorplan/size to move forward with before sending to the city though.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Thank you - that timeline doesn't seem too bad, considering, once things started moving! Just 3 weeks from submitting further docs until official offer. Have you found the Durst people communicative? Pretty much every email / message in the comments I have submitted has gone unanswered

That is quite funny that the city gets 5 business days to respond, but seems fair considering applicants are given only 5 business days to get all their stuff together, too.

One other question - how flexible have they been on lease start date?

I am hoping they are willing to give 1.5-2 months flexibility on start dates since we will be breaking our lease here and want to give the landlord adequate notice. Obviously with how vague the timing and certainty is on the lottery process, we can only talk to our current landlord once things are in the bag, so to speak.
Yeah I don't think I've gotten a single response from them by email, I've only ever had luck by calling them and speaking to the right person. I won't call out their name on here - starts with an S and you have probably received an email from them if you got the request for additional documents - but they were by far the most helpful and kind to work with!

Agreed, I think that's their way of approaching this process somewhat systematically!

I'm actually in talks with them about adjusting the lease start date since my current lease ends June 30 and I would much prefer to move in that date rather than storing all my stuff in a truck overnight for a July 1 start date. I offered to pay an extra day of rent and it seemed like it was at least a possibility (they still need to confirm with SVEN), but I'm unfortunately not sure about lease start dates that are much further out.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp27 View Post
Congratulations!!!

Are they assigning the lottery apartments to the lower floors? Keep us updated on how flexible they are with that please if you can. I wonder how many of the $2300 one BR’s they have left, I submitted all my docs but there were so many I can understand why it takes them a while to go through them.
Thank you as well!! I'll try my best to poke around and get whatever information I can. But considering how much the market rate units go, it only makes sense to me that they would save all the best units with views for the people with $$$$. They sent me a few floorplans for 1 bed at $2300 so I would think there are at least a few left.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Shiso View Post
Thank you as well!! I'll try my best to poke around and get whatever information I can. But considering how much the market rate units go, it only makes sense to me that they would save all the best units with views for the people with $$$$. They sent me a few floorplans for 1 bed at $2300 so I would think there are at least a few left.
So, this will definitely be true to an extent - no penthouses for us lottery applicants, sadly! (And how I cry about that - we viewed the penthouse and immediately decided the need to get REALLY rich so we could afford $6k in rent, lol!)

But considering how many apartments are up for grabs, I figure there MUST be some on higher-ish floors, at least for 2 beds; as far as I can work out, there are 42 2-bedrooms but only 2 per floor (ignoring the possibility of shenanigans for a while re squishing more in per floor or whatever, which I think unlikely considering they haven't tried to screw lottery peeps with cheaper appliances etc!), so they pretty much must extend up to floor 36 or so, or be spread throughout the building a wee bit. As far as I can tell from my visit, the killer Manhattan views probably start at floor 25 or so. So I am keeping the faith! I will likely keep asking and asking and begging until they assign me a higher floor just to make me go away, lol!

Old 06-23-2022, 04:16 PM

18 posts, read 19,590 times
Update! Just got reached out to choose with floor plan I'd like. For anyone who is further in the process, were you able to view the apartments before choosing a floor plan? Ideally I'd like to choose a 1 bedroom with a city view.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estee123 View Post
Update! Just got reached out to choose with floor plan I'd like. For anyone who is further in the process, were you able to view the apartments before choosing a floor plan? Ideally I'd like to choose a 1 bedroom with a city view.
It should say on the floorplan which direction it is facing - the ones with any west-facing view should allow you to see Manhattan, but probably only above a certain floor (maybe 20 or so)

Old 06-23-2022, 07:30 PM

38 posts, read 40,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estee123 View Post
What log # were you again?

Old 06-23-2022, 08:30 PM

18 posts, read 19,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorin2570 View Post
What log # were you again?
I'm around #9XX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery