Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2022, 12:31 PM

453 posts, read 501,580 times

Advertisements

OMG - just received the notification that we were "rejected" for certain documents that weren't uploaded. I am quite sure that others here were contacted directly to be informed of missing docs and asked to rectify. Can anyone confirm? I can barely even get emails answered from them, I am not sure why they are being so uncommunicative about this! Not to mention they give you a deadline of just a few days for an absolute mountain of paperwork, it seems so petty that they don't give you a heads up by email at all just hit reject right away.

Obviously I am going to appeal, as we definitely qualify, but damn. How annoying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 12:48 PM

38 posts, read 40,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
OMG - just received the notification that we were "rejected" for certain documents that weren't uploaded. I am quite sure that others here were contacted directly to be informed of missing docs and asked to rectify. Can anyone confirm? I can barely even get emails answered from them, I am not sure why they are being so uncommunicative about this! Not to mention they give you a deadline of just a few days for an absolute mountain of paperwork, it seems so petty that they don't give you a heads up by email at all just hit reject right away.

Obviously I am going to appeal, as we definitely qualify, but damn. How annoying!
Sounds like this is because you didn’t upload to Housing Connect and only emailed the docs? I believe many others did this and received the notification but I don’t think it disqualified them from the lotto. I’d call to let them know about the notification and they might ask you to appeal and reupload the docs to HC but I wouldn’t be too worried about the rejection notification - seems like more of a formality as they don’t even tell you that you should both upload to HC alongside emailing them the docs

Old 06-27-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorin2570 View Post
Sounds like this is because you didn’t upload to Housing Connect and only emailed the docs? I believe many others did this and received the notification but I don’t think it disqualified them from the lotto. I’d call to let them know about the notification and they might ask you to appeal and reupload the docs to HC but I wouldn’t be too worried about the rejection notification - seems like more of a formality as they don’t even tell you that you should both upload to HC alongside emailing them the docs
Phew, thanks! I definitely uploaded - but because of the, um, "mountainous" nature of what they were asking for (not to mention I am a foreigner fairly new to life here trying to navigate all the tax docs that meant nothing to me until a couple of months ago, and damn is it a steep learning curve!) it seems I overlooked a couple of things.

Yes, it is largely my fault, (well, and also my other half who is actually American but has left it all to me!) but I had hoped they might reach out to ask first before hitting reject

Oh well. Try again I guess! What a way to start the week!

Old 06-27-2022, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
Quote:

I've been lurking in this thread but I wanted to chime in. I've had the same problems with them. I was asked to submit additional documents, which I did. They rejected me. I appealed and was again asked to submit more documents. They rejected me again. I definitely qualify and have submitted all requested documents but I've been going in circles with them. I was told to email them to discuss further but I've never gotten a response. Hopefully, you have better luck than me.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:59 PM

38 posts, read 40,279 times
Quote:
Phew, thanks! I definitely uploaded - but because of the, um, "mountainous" nature of what they were asking for (not to mention I am a foreigner fairly new to life here trying to navigate all the tax docs that meant nothing to me until a couple of months ago, and damn is it a steep learning curve!) it seems I overlooked a couple of things.

Yes, it is largely my fault, (well, and also my other half who is actually American but has left it all to me!) but I had hoped they might reach out to ask first before hitting reject

Oh well. Try again I guess! What a way to start the week!
Yea the amount of docs they asked for was no joke, so it does seem a bit unfair to go straight for the rejection. How did you receive the notification, was it through HC or by email? I haven’t heard a single thing since uploading my 2nd batch which is quickly coming up on 3 weeks ago, I hope they haven’t somehow skipped over my application …

Old 06-27-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfan22 View Post
I've been lurking in this thread but I wanted to chime in. I've had the same problems with them. I was asked to submit additional documents, which I did. They rejected me. I appealed and was again asked to submit more documents. They rejected me again. I definitely qualify and have submitted all requested documents but I've been going in circles with them. I was told to email them to discuss further but I've never gotten a response. Hopefully, you have better luck than me.
Arghhh! In a way, it does make me feel better that it isn't just me. I am actually relieved that you can appeal more than once, but would it be so hard for them to reach out and request the extra documents before hitting reject each time? we were involved in another lottery last year with Tax Solute and they were much more "hand-holdy" and informative during the process, and would just call us and say "hey, we need you to send us whatever!" which is what I expected from these guys, too.

[Furthermore, (and off topic a little) this just makes me feel like the system is stacked against the low-income people - those who might not be internet or tech savvy, or might have an intellectual or physical disability or something (not saying it is all by a long shot. But if my other half and I, who both have advanced degrees and are pretty tech/life savvy are having this much of a headache to get through the lottery bureaucracy, what might the experience be of those who are disadvantaged in some way? I sincerely hope there are organizations who can help those people who need it to navigate the documentation required.]

Old 06-27-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorin2570 View Post
Yea the amount of docs they asked for was no joke, so it does seem a bit unfair to go straight for the rejection. How did you receive the notification, was it through HC or by email? I haven’t heard a single thing since uploading my 2nd batch which is quickly coming up on 3 weeks ago, I hope they haven’t somehow skipped over my application …
I got a text message to say there was a message waiting for me in HC account and...yeah. Happy Monday!

Old 06-27-2022, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,052 times
Quote:
Arghhh! In a way, it does make me feel better that it isn't just me. I am actually relieved that you can appeal more than once, but would it be so hard for them to reach out and request the extra documents before hitting reject each time? we were involved in another lottery last year with Tax Solute and they were much more "hand-holdy" and informative during the process, and would just call us and say "hey, we need you to send us whatever!" which is what I expected from these guys, too.

[Furthermore, (and off topic a little) this just makes me feel like the system is stacked against the low-income people - those who might not be internet or tech savvy, or might have an intellectual or physical disability or something (not saying it is all by a long shot. But if my other half and I, who both have advanced degrees and are pretty tech/life savvy are having this much of a headache to get through the lottery bureaucracy, what might the experience be of those who are disadvantaged in some way? I sincerely hope there are organizations who can help those people who need it to navigate the documentation required.]
I've been frustrated with this process so I'm a bit relieved to see it's not just me. I'm in a lottery apartment now and it was such a breeze.

I used to hear complaints about the lottery but I didn't understand since my last experience went so well. But this time I see how it's stacked against so many. Every time I submit a document they say they didn't get it or request more supporting docs or they ask for something to be notarized. I'm lucky I have the time and energy to follow through.

Old 06-27-2022, 03:04 PM

800 posts, read 735,583 times
I’ve never been lucky enough to have my log # picked (except this one time but I missed it) so I don’t know the process but I’m always like how hard can it be. But hearing all your stories is making me anxious!

Old 06-27-2022, 08:16 PM

14 posts, read 16,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfan22 View Post

What log number are you? I'm 7xx and my second batch has been in review for over a month now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery