Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 04:01 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
There are others that are under 130% AMI where ALL the apts are the same. 160 Madison is one such building. I’m not sure what AMIs are in the building but some are lower. My sister lives there. She used to live in a studio and was paying something like $730, she recently moved to a one bedroom on a higher floor in the same building. Her rent only increased by $30.
This gave me some hope. The stupid building I'm in currently (and have been in for years) won't allow me to move up smh. Im currently in the process of getting into another building.. but fall just short of qualifying for a 1bdrm but I'm going to ask them if they allow upgrades. Cause someone else I know, who's in a building in BK, requested to upgrade and they simply put them on a waiting list like normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 04:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
This gave me some hope. The stupid building I'm in currently (and have been in for years) won't allow me to move up smh. Im currently in the process of getting into another building.. but fall just short of qualifying for a 1bdrm but I'm going to ask them if they allow upgrades. Cause someone else I know, who's in a building in BK, requested to upgrade and they simply put them on a waiting list like normal
Pretty sh*tty that your current building is doing that, are they even allowed to is the question. Yes, you should definitely request to be put on the waitlist.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:01 PM

27 posts, read 25,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyMax View Post
I was originally asked to submit paperwork on 11/04, with a log # of 31*, qualifying for the 80% Units and coming with a voucher from the city. The last lottery I was up for was with a log number of #1090, so I was optimistic. I got an email on 12/14, saying they had received my paperwork (I submitted it on housing connect the day it was requested (11/04), and that it would be 6-8 weeks from today (12/14) for processing. After discovering this forum and seeing much higher log numbers apparently being processed I contacted Susan directly (I had been leaving her alone, figuring that if she needed anything, I would hear), to ask if it were possible to know what log number they were on. Her reply back stated, "It appears you only qualify for the lower income units which are no longer available."

My application at Housing Connect still says "Under Review". Is this over? Is it possible it was mishandled? Is there any recourse? Can I even appeal at this stage, or does one need to wait until the status says 'rejected'?

Thank you for any insight you can provide. I do have access to a pro-bono lawyer if there is any use. I have cc'd him and will reach out by phone tomorrow.
Were you CB? 50% of the units were going to CB preference. Also, you would need more clarification, but I remember the girl and the front desk of reside telling me on the phone that your log number is not to be treated as a “ your place in line” number. I took it with a grain of salt that’s why I didn’t press forward, but seeing as people with log 10xxx none CB preference were contacted before you, there has to be some truth to it. My log was 7xxx with CB preference and I got a 2 bedroom at 80ami. I very much doubt there were 6999+ applicants before me that didn’t qualify.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:07 PM

531 posts, read 412,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
It's a poor building no matter how u slice it ...these developers get millions in tax breaks for them to give lottery tenants cheaper appliances smaller apartments and cheaper kitchens and bathrooms is crazy to me and for u to rant about how we should accept be happy and accept it is why they get away with it...everything is different in the lottery apartments down to the sinks and bathroom tub from the market rate ...market rate has washer and dryer lottery tenants don't and 27 eagle can't use 227 eagle ammenties ...its just another poor door situation
Yes the developers get subsidies on tax and stuff, but please don't be stupid enough to think they're getting rich of your back, when you are paying 1/3rd market rate but want a 4000 dollar oven cuz your neighbor has one.

This is capitalism and if you are wanting a free handout just cuz the developer is taking advantage of tax credits. Most people here do not understand jack **** about the risks and issues in development but want a ****ing oven that is luxurious oh cuz the developer made millions.

Please get your head out of your ***, its not monopoly and all rose flower rainfalls for developers. do your study and understand most developments lose money, especially in the current financial environment with sky-high interest rates and falling rents. Your rent check from your lottery apartment isn't going to make the developer rich.

And for the millionth time stop talking **** about every difference you see in affordable units, your constant verbal diarrhea is annoying and disheartens a lot of people about their homes and I am beyond tired of that ****>

Old 12-28-2022, 06:23 PM

390 posts, read 350,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyMax View Post
I was originally asked to submit paperwork on 11/04, with a log # of 31*, qualifying for the 80% Units and coming with a voucher from the city. The last lottery I was up for was with a log number of #1090, so I was optimistic. I got an email on 12/14, saying they had received my paperwork (I submitted it on housing connect the day it was requested (11/04), and that it would be 6-8 weeks from today (12/14) for processing. After discovering this forum and seeing much higher log numbers apparently being processed I contacted Susan directly (I had been leaving her alone, figuring that if she needed anything, I would hear), to ask if it were possible to know what log number they were on. Her reply back stated, "It appears you only qualify for the lower income units which are no longer available."

My application at Housing Connect still says "Under Review". Is this over? Is it possible it was mishandled? Is there any recourse? Can I even appeal at this stage, or does one need to wait until the status says 'rejected'?

Thank you for any insight you can provide. I do have access to a pro-bono lawyer if there is any use. I have cc'd him and will reach out by phone tomorrow.
So, people like me who have high log 6xxx & up numbers were CB preference which goes to 50% of apartments got called for documents first, we were called to submit by 10/20/2022. You can't appeal anything because you're under review. if you were rejected or deemed no qualified then you can appeal it, so basically, you're waitlisted.
A pro-bono lawyer wouldn't be able to help you if you're looking for an 80 % AMI apartment since there's no regulation on how the 50% CB and other preferences are allocated. So basically, when they're calling CB preference in order of lowest log up with CB preference until they fill 50% of the apartments. Since there's no regulation on how the apartments are allocated CB applicants call fill up of the 80% AMI apartments, and some of the other AMI apartments until the 50% CB preference is filled. Leaving 125% & 130% AMI apartments to general public.

However, the fact that you stated you have a housing voucher should've allowed you to be eligible for a higher AMI apartment. I think you should write Susan again about an apartment at a higher AMI since you have a housing voucher and people with housing vouchers aren't confined to income limits and cc your lawyer on that email (if you choose) because you should have been considered for 125% AMI & 130% AMI if your voucher allowed it and you noted you had a voucher on your application.
I would remind her and quote this from housing connect's website FAQ on income "Vouchers and rental subsidies such as Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HPD or NYCHA), CityFHEPS, ISS, Medicaid Waiver, and VASH are all accepted. Minimum income requirements do not apply if you have a voucher or a rental subsidy. However, rent should be within maximum limits allowed by your voucher or rental assistance program. "

Old 12-29-2022, 08:59 AM

17 posts, read 18,086 times
Did anyone hear back from Susan recently? Wanna get an idea about what log number they are up to. I got an email saying they have received all the documents about 2 weeks ago.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:38 AM

390 posts, read 350,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie127 View Post
Did anyone hear back from Susan recently? Wanna get an idea about what log number they are up to. I got an email saying they have received all the documents about 2 weeks ago.
Email her for info on your standing, you might be waitlisted if you're hoping for 80% ami. Apartments are pretty limited and I believe there's only 125% & 130% left at the moment unless HPD declines applications. I can tell you this, when you get selected/ potentially selected for an apartment you no longer deal with Susan, you work with someone else in reside.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:28 AM

17 posts, read 18,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiddesire120 View Post
Email her for info on your standing, you might be waitlisted if you're hoping for 80% ami. Apartments are pretty limited and I believe there's only 125% & 130% left at the moment unless HPD declines applications. I can tell you this, when you get selected/ potentially selected for an apartment you no longer deal with Susan, you work with someone else in reside.
Thank you for your response! I am qualified for 125% studio based on the document I provided but got a raise this year which will put me at 1br/2br for 125%. Really hoping to get contacted so I emailed her yesterday to see where I stand.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:04 PM

21 posts, read 19,438 times
Does anyone know what the differences are in the 227 West building between the 125% and the 130% units? I toured a 125% unit but wondering if the 130%s might have better appliances etc.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:13 PM

46 posts, read 43,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaloo95 View Post
Does anyone know what the differences are in the 227 West building between the 125% and the 130% units? I toured a 125% unit but wondering if the 130%s might have better appliances etc.
Was this for a one bedroom? If it was, how did you like it? Did they mention how many units are left at 125% AMI?

Would be curious to know what log number they've reached for Gen population.

Last edited by SnakeEater13; 12-29-2022 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery