Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 11:16 PM

586 posts, read 587,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbuddy View Post
Just wanted to update that I viewed the apartments and they are all very nice. The area - not so nice. It felt like kind of a wasteland.

I was offered a 1 bedroom of my choosing, they let me pick my favorite one I saw with a nice view, and told them I would like to proceed. Now my paperwork is being sent to the city.

I have mixed feelings about the building itself - it kind of looks like a hotel - but the apartments themselves look very high end and chic.

There were a group of about 15-20 of us at the viewing with various log numbers and we were told we would all likely get an apartment - studio or 1 bedroom - because they had over 50 available.

They showed us a bunch of different layouts and asked us to rank them to get the one we want.

All in all, it was not what I expected. I thought I would HATE this building. But I liked it ok.
Are the apartments the same as market rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 04:14 PM

87 posts, read 59,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
Are the apartments the same as market rate?
Yes, they are the same except they are mostly on lower floors and most don't have terraces. However, the market rate apartments are almost all facing a huge construction site, whereas the affordable ones are facing a quiet street. Sucks to be them.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:47 PM

Well, it's official. I have been approved for the 1 bedroom of my choice from HPD - and have officially won the housing lottery. I will be receiving my lease soon and will be moving into Dutch House.

It's been a long journey of getting close with other buildings and not making it. I applied for this building a year ago. My log number was 7XXX. I never thought I would get picked. The building wasn't even on my radar, but it all worked out.

It has a washer / dryer in unit, dishwasher, floor to ceiling windows, awesome roof lounge, indoor lounge, parking, gym, bike storage, and despite being in a weird industrial neighborhood, it's close to trains.

I'm sad to be leaving Brooklyn, and shocked that I have been priced out of Brooklyn after all these years, but Queens is looking better and better with all of these amenities and stabilized rent.

Keep your hopes up, kids. It can happen to you too!

Old 06-08-2023, 04:58 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,848,137 times
Congrats! You'll enjoy living in Queens, it's a melting pot, the most diverse borough in NYC

Quote:
Well, it's official. I have been approved for the 1 bedroom of my choice from HPD - and have officially won the housing lottery. I will be receiving my lease soon and will be moving into Dutch House.

It's been a long journey of getting close with other buildings and not making it. I applied for this building a year ago. My log number was 7XXX. I never thought I would get picked. The building wasn't even on my radar, but it all worked out.

It has a washer / dryer in unit, dishwasher, floor to ceiling windows, awesome roof lounge, indoor lounge, parking, gym, bike storage, and despite being in a weird industrial neighborhood, it's close to trains.

I'm sad to be leaving Brooklyn, and shocked that I have been priced out of Brooklyn after all these years, but Queens is looking better and better with all of these amenities and stabilized rent.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Congrats! You'll enjoy living in Queens, it's a melting pot, the most diverse borough in NYC
Thank you! Queens is growing on me. Dutch House is in a weird industrial area, but is close to Astoria. I'm excited to eventually explore other parts of Queens too.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:43 PM

29 posts, read 20,205 times
Has anyone else gotten an email from Reside NY asking for docs after your housing connect deadline already passed?

I was asked to submit docs for Dutch House last month but I passed on it because the prices were too high. This week I got another email asking for docs, with a new deadline of next week, but at somewhat lower rents, which I might actually consider. But I'm confused as to what this is about - maybe they couldn't fill their units?

Old 06-16-2023, 07:04 PM

726 posts, read 816,487 times
Quote:

Happy you found a place even if you weren’t looking for it. I too moved from Brooklyn to my lottery in queens and it’s so weird but I’m enjoying being here. I miss Brooklyn tho it’s not the same

Old 06-16-2023, 10:52 PM

229 posts, read 242,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstreet View Post
Has anyone else gotten an email from Reside NY asking for docs after your housing connect deadline already passed?

I was asked to submit docs for Dutch House last month but I passed on it because the prices were too high. This week I got another email asking for docs, with a new deadline of next week, but at somewhat lower rents, which I might actually consider. But I'm confused as to what this is about - maybe they couldn't fill their units?
I got a email from Susan yesterday.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:33 AM

29 posts, read 20,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syad8486 View Post
I got a email from Susan yesterday.
Was it the same email? Did it offer studios and 1brs at lower prices than listed on housing connect? I’ve been trying to call their offices but no answer

Old 06-17-2023, 03:41 PM

229 posts, read 242,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstreet View Post
Was it the same email? Did it offer studios and 1brs at lower prices than listed on housing connect? I’ve been trying to call their offices but no answer
Yes - studio @ 2,343 instead of 3,300, 1 bed @ 2,464 instead of 3,800, 1 year amenities free and $1000 gift card towards moving cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: