Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 07:40 AM

75 posts, read 51,583 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if any of the lottery units have balconies? Are they offering any discounts on parking or a security deposit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 8,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAQueens View Post
I’m on the 2nd flr. The units they showed us are mostly on that floor just different layouts, and I only liked one layout (one with kitchen island) which is not available in higher floors anymore. What was the rent offered in your lottery? I heard from here that they lowered the rent since the very first lottery. Did they offer you any incentives? (Free amenities, 1 month free rent)

Yes thats what I thought too, it would be easier for them to hold unit for already approved tenants. Tbh I was on the fence taking it since the rent is still high considering additional utilities. But the process went by so quickly and I havent gotten this far in the process so thought I was really lucky!
I honestly loved the layout with the kitchen island the best - that layout on a higher floor was my first choice actually! it def felt the most spacious, but then for next choice I tried my shot at a higher floor. the only special offer they were advertising that I received was 1 year of free amenities ($60/month afterwards which is not too bad, although their gym can use some improvements). did you receive any special incentives?

my rent is also the updated second round price, 1bd $2598 (and all studios being $2375). it is honestly still outside of my budget with this inflation, a ton more than I'm paying now with roommates, and the utility bills are kinda crazy for this building (monthly it's a couple hundred for many, based on reddit/reviews). I'm on the exact same page - this happened to line up close enough to when my current lease is ending, and I've been searching for my own place to live. but the lease isn't signed and I'm still keeping my eyes open - from time to time I do see just as nice buildings or even more "luxury" ones on streeteasy but across other areas.

pros: rent stabilized, no broker fee, (probably) can't beat this price elsewhere in LIC for a 1bd with doorman/washer, walkable subway lines, just getting my housing search over with and early on

cons: price is still high, possibly getting screwed by utilities, mediocre gym, personally the location isn't super close to my preferred subway lines/grocery stores/shops/dining/etc. (I'm currently right by queens plaza station and I'll definitely miss this location), and nitpicking but no south facing windows!

Old 01-04-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBRKLYN21 View Post
Does anyone know if any of the lottery units have balconies? Are they offering any discounts on parking or a security deposit?
this is just what is left for this second round - but none of the leftover units have balconies, they all face the outside streets. all units also require a security deposit plus first month's rent. I haven't received by special offers on parking.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:11 AM

75 posts, read 51,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotterybabe View Post
this is just what is left for this second round - but none of the leftover units have balconies, they all face the outside streets. all units also require a security deposit plus first month's rent. I haven't received by special offers on parking.
Thank you for the update!

Old 01-04-2024, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 5,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBRKLYN21 View Post
They showed us one 1br unit with balcony also on the higher floor (6th flr) facing the subway and we were told theres a construction going on that side so beware of the noise. That was actually my first choice, but I only got my 2nd choice so I guess someone with lower log # got it first

Old 01-04-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I honestly loved the layout with the kitchen island the best - that layout on a higher floor was my first choice actually! it def felt the most spacious, but then for next choice I tried my shot at a higher floor. the only special offer they were advertising that I received was 1 year of free amenities ($60/month afterwards which is not too bad, although their gym can use some improvements). did you receive any special incentives?

my rent is also the updated second round price, 1bd $2598 (and all studios being $2375). it is honestly still outside of my budget with this inflation, a ton more than I'm paying now with roommates, and the utility bills are kinda crazy for this building (monthly it's a couple hundred for many, based on reddit/reviews). I'm on the exact same page - this happened to line up close enough to when my current lease is ending, and I've been searching for my own place to live. but the lease isn't signed and I'm still keeping my eyes open - from time to time I do see just as nice buildings or even more "luxury" ones on streeteasy but across other areas.

pros: rent stabilized, no broker fee, (probably) can't beat this price elsewhere in LIC for a 1bd with doorman/washer, walkable subway lines, just getting my housing search over with and early on

cons: price is still high, possibly getting screwed by utilities, mediocre gym, personally the location isn't super close to my preferred subway lines/grocery stores/shops/dining/etc. (I'm currently right by queens plaza station and I'll definitely miss this location), and nitpicking but no south facing windows!
Yes! I told myself that I’m only getting the unit if I get that layout, luckily I did! We didn’t have much option on the higher flr, only one 1bdr unit on the 6th with balcony that somebody else probably get.i have the same rent and My only incentive is the1yr amenities, and I only got it because I read it from here and I asked they didn’t even offer at first lol

Nice to know I’m not the only one with the same dilemma — I really like the unit layout and ofc can’t beat the laundry in unit. But i don’t love that everything’s electric! Not too inlove with the location either, I’m on Broadway rn and its way more lively. But looking at the prices of current rent, this is the best we can get. My current apt is also rent-stabilized (not luxury) so I’m not in a rush to move, if they don’t agree for late move-in, I’m gonna pass on it.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Yes! I told myself that I’m only getting the unit if I get that layout, luckily I did! We didn’t have much option on the higher flr, only one 1bdr unit on the 6th with balcony that somebody else probably get.i have the same rent and My only incentive is the1yr amenities, and I only got it because I read it from here and I asked they didn’t even offer at first lol

Nice to know I’m not the only one with the same dilemma — I really like the unit layout and ofc can’t beat the laundry in unit. But i don’t love that everything’s electric! Not too inlove with the location either, I’m on Broadway rn and its way more lively. But looking at the prices of current rent, this is the best we can get. My current apt is also rent-stabilized (not luxury) so I’m not in a rush to move, if they don’t agree for late move-in, I’m gonna pass on it.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:

we can only hope that we magically receive another better lottery offer soon :') I'm definitely not signing either if they force me to move within 2 weeks. how reliable is the N/W line going into manhattan? I have to commute to work so that is another factor I've been considering and I always hear complaints of the N.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
we can only hope that we magically receive another better lottery offer soon :') I'm definitely not signing either if they force me to move within 2 weeks. how reliable is the N/W line going into manhattan? I have to commute to work so that is another factor I've been considering and I always hear complaints of the N.
In my experience its pretty reliable, maybe except on some weekend change schedule. But for the most part its consistent, been in the N/W line for 10years now. You also have the R train on 36th street if ever N/W is not working

Old 01-06-2024, 01:09 PM

Quote:
In my experience its pretty reliable, maybe except on some weekend change schedule. But for the most part its consistent, been in the N/W line for 10years now. You also have the R train on 36th street if ever N/W is not working
thanks! good to hear it hasn't been horrible, weekends I can deal with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: