Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2023, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighborhood Friend View Post
somewhat true, however, it is impossible to know if the 7,999 before you all qualify based on income, AMI, family size and credit/background check. You see how complicated this is?, people win other lotteries, peoples income go up, go down, people move, people get married, people sadly pass away... So many factors, this is not a one size fit all process FYI. You need to let go and let God because it is beyond our control who makes a unit or not, I will tell you anything is possible with lotteries like this, anytime, you just never know. Be patient, positive and grateful! Keep busy and you will be much happier when your happy time comes because you will be ready. Get ready!
Someone PLEASE tell Negative Nancy above to take their negativity to another post....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 10:07 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachxm View Post
Is this consider small or larger building?? Just asking
On the larger side. By small I'm talking about buildings with a handful to ~20 total units available. 100+ units would be pretty large.

Given this building has many units but they're weighted towards lower AMIs (under 100%), which get taken faster, my guess is they'll reach ~2-3k logs for general population.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:03 PM

82 posts, read 72,608 times
if you are 40% or 60% AMI, look at the units there are many, so your chances are good I think well into the thousands for general population because not everyone before you will be qualified, there are so many factors that is why it takes time. With a governmental agency overseeing, HPD, application managers(landlords leasing up team) have to make sure they cross their T's and dot there I's too, this is not a one size fits all, it's M & M's. Just know your income and documents so when you are called in the future you are ready, the quicker you get stuff the better. Good to have relationships with /payrollHR etc... at your job so they can get you what you need. Since you are on this site you are already getting good information from people who know the system, have been approved are getting approved, but don't assume their process with be yours, just don't worry, just be pro-active. My advice.

yes small buildings are a handful to 50 units, mid-size are over 50-100 plus and large buildings are skyscrapers like this building 601 West 29th with 1200 units and remember 20% of a buildings units go to affordable housing so you know how many chances you have and how many are affordable housing for future wait lists, it's posted on HC. Large skyscraper buildings are of course your best chances to get into the affordable housing lottery with numbers in the thousands whether community board or general population. If you have a low log number in the few hundreds for a waitlist building or a small building there is no guarantee since there are very few units and chances are people will fill them before they get to you. All those people have to qualify before you as well, so hard to gauge, people don't always qualify. I believe the city is working diligently to have large complexes in Chelsea and down town Fulton street as well as others, to accommodate Nycha, affordable housing and market units, they know we need more affordable housing, people are suffering with these high rents, not fair when someones income cannot support this... they need workers of all occupations in this city to make it what it is and has been. I sound like a politician now.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:09 PM

You misread me, I'm being positive, meaning I'm saying you can win this because there are so many reasons why others before you may or may not be qualified, people in general population in the thousands can absolutely win and I hope that you truly do. This is a process and it takes weeks to months for your own process FYI. If you do not want someone on the site giving you real information then I will stop posting, if you are thinking the truth is negative. I have valuable information to give and I"m trying to help.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:56 PM

44 posts, read 44,115 times
Hi all, got my first electricity bill today and WOW it was a lot more than I expected. I'm not sure why, but my bill for my first 14 days was $70. I live up in the 30s so I get a lot of natural sunlight and never have the lights on during the day. I don't wfh so I don't have a bunch of computer stuff being used, I keep the A/C set to 77/78 at all times. If you move in, just be aware of this. I think it might be the A/C units but I'm nervous for winter now since heat is run by the same system.

I will be calling tomorrow to ask about this. I moved in on the 28th so hopefully its just an error and they charged me for the whole month of June too. There was a part in the lease that they estimated electricity charges would be around $85 so if this is correct I will also be calling HPD to ask about that section of the lease.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:20 PM

42 posts, read 31,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqa5164 View Post
Hi all, got my first electricity bill today and WOW it was a lot more than I expected. I'm not sure why, but my bill for my first 14 days was $70. I live up in the 30s so I get a lot of natural sunlight and never have the lights on during the day. I don't wfh so I don't have a bunch of computer stuff being used, I keep the A/C set to 77/78 at all times. If you move in, just be aware of this. I think it might be the A/C units but I'm nervous for winter now since heat is run by the same system.

I will be calling tomorrow to ask about this. I moved in on the 28th so hopefully its just an error and they charged me for the whole month of June too. There was a part in the lease that they estimated electricity charges would be around $85 so if this is correct I will also be calling HPD to ask about that section of the lease.
Are you paying directly through ConEd? If so make sure you change the apartment from a Commercial to Residential property. I got caught with that my first few months in the city in a different building. Please let us know the resolution.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:44 PM

it's probably from the AC, which I think costs much more than heat from my experience. Your bill usually doubles with AC in the summer, we've had a rough summer too, hot every day in July practically

Old 07-26-2023, 04:48 AM

72 posts, read 78,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqa5164 View Post

Thank you for the update! My bill was $48 for 11 days and same as you I keep the temp at 77/78, but only get direct sunlight in the a.m. Im estimating the bill to be about $125, which is normal for Jul-Sep.

The electricity is through Quad Logic and we’re billed directly to the Rent Cafe portal. Anyone have experience with them? I’ve only ever had ConEd.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:03 AM

200 posts, read 219,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNYC View Post
Thank you for the update! My bill was $48 for 11 days and same as you I keep the temp at 77/78, but only get direct sunlight in the a.m. Im estimating the bill to be about $125, which is normal for Jul-Sep.

The electricity is through Quad Logic and we’re billed directly to the Rent Cafe portal. Anyone have experience with them? I’ve only ever had ConEd.
Strictly a different building datapoint: my 8 windows all open, so I do without A/C. All months are ~$40/mo. But a jump of 1,000% in winter months, cuz I'm forced to run motors in every room to heat. Nearly $400/mo!! (early 2023 was a mild outlier, so I managed to stay under $100/mo vs. $400/mo early 2022)

Old 07-26-2023, 05:05 AM

5 posts, read 3,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNYC View Post

I live in the same building. I was told AC is not supposed to go under 74. Anything lower will elevate the bill. So far, I haven’t had any issues with Quadlogic. A lot of neighbors have been having a problem with it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery