Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 05:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurryHillMomma View Post
I just received the offer on 440 East 23rd Street, 14D! They really are working fast to get apartments filled. I'm really excited and thankful, however, I still have 2 months on my lease where I am currently, so I need to work that out. Overall, I think I'm still in shock that I was approved so quickly!
With luck, two months left on you lease will be fine. Yes, it’s costly if you overlap a month and pay two rents but it will make moving easier and possible cheaper. Moving companies sometimes charge more at the start/end of a month than in middle of month. Does Sty/PCV want your to move in Oct 1, Oct 15, Nov 1? They might let you negotiate a bit. Likewise, your present landlord might you leave a month early with prior notice, or if you pay for an extra month they might let you stay for an extra month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 06:26 PM

63 posts, read 37,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
With luck, two months left on you lease will be fine. Yes, it’s costly if you overlap a month and pay two rents but it will make moving easier and possible cheaper. Moving companies sometimes charge more at the start/end of a month than in middle of month. Does Sty/PCV want your to move in Oct 1, Oct 15, Nov 1? They might let you negotiate a bit. Likewise, your present landlord might you leave a month early with prior notice, or if you pay for an extra month they might let you stay for an extra month.
Stuytown is giving me an occupancy date of 10/21, which I've asked if it's a hard start date - If they give me an extra week or two, that would bring me into an 11/1 lease start/move in date and then my "60 day notice" to vacate here would be 12/1 (giving notice this weekend on 10/1) - so, a month's rent forfeited here/overlap. That is the ideal situation. I've emailed both the Stuytown Lottery contact and my manager here. I don't want to be on the hook for December and January rent here. They do have a duty to mitigate/rent my apartment and the rentals weirdly go pretty quickly here, but who knows what games they will play.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Sorry I have 3 months left (after Oct) - lease ends Feb1

Old 09-26-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
Usually, the start date should be one month max after your approval date, not sure if Stuytown does it the same way other agencies do and offers that to their stabilized lease applicants.

If that's the case one month's overlap isn't the worst, gives you time to move and be in between the two apartments till you're good to go. But you can always check with your current landlord

Congratulations !!
Thanks very much! I'll have to work out something with my current landlord - I didn't think the process would only take a week - I thought 30-60/90 days!

Old 09-27-2023, 05:43 AM

66 posts, read 51,892 times
2 Bed, 2 Bath

3 Peter Cooper Road, Apt 12C

Available October 12

$4365.02
Min Income Required: $149,657.71

Old 09-27-2023, 06:25 AM

199 posts, read 220,571 times
Quote:
I just received the offer on 440 East 23rd Street, 14D! They really are working fast to get apartments filled. I'm really excited and thankful, however, I still have 2 months on my lease where I am currently, so I need to work that out. Overall, I think I'm still in shock that I was approved so quickly!
Congrats!!!!! Push your landlord as much as you can to get you off the contract. Don't think you have to suffer paying double rent for months. Most likely they will let you leave without penalties because they don't want to deal with legal headaches regarding you calling your city council person.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:53 AM

66 posts, read 51,892 times
1 Bed, 1 Bath

451 East 14th Street, Apt 02B

Available October 1

$3505.25
Min Income Required: $120,180.16

Old 09-27-2023, 07:14 AM

283 posts, read 280,834 times
Quote:
Stuytown is giving me an occupancy date of 10/21, which I've asked if it's a hard start date - If they give me an extra week or two, that would bring me into an 11/1 lease start/move in date and then my "60 day notice" to vacate here would be 12/1 (giving notice this weekend on 10/1) - so, a month's rent forfeited here/overlap. That is the ideal situation. I've emailed both the Stuytown Lottery contact and my manager here. I don't want to be on the hook for December and January rent here. They do have a duty to mitigate/rent my apartment and the rentals weirdly go pretty quickly here, but who knows what games they will play.
Congrats a lot on the approval. I was really surprised that they approved me in less than a week as well. I think you could always sublet your current place to someone for a month or two if you cant break the lease, but talk to your landlord, and city council. 30 days is enough time for them to fill the place.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:02 AM

40 posts, read 30,271 times
Today's 2bd 2ba disappeared in minutes despite being pricey, but today's one bedroom has been up for over an hour already.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:18 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
The two-bed, two-bath is in Peter Cooper, so it’s very large and is on a high floor. Market-rate similar units are listed for $7,000! The person who grabbed that was smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery