Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 11:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But you don't live in that country, you never have, and I am betting you never will. The moment our politicians started taking money from private donors rather than public coffers to run for office was the moment that "freedom" because a buzz word to keep everyone occupied.

You worry about the size of soda you can drink, I worry about if people can get married that want to get married, and that women should be in full control of their own bodies without government interference...you tell me which one sounds like a bigger fight?

So yes, keep waving that flag over the size of your soda...the rest of us are worried about bigger issues in life.
You are so caught up in your own little world that you don't even realize we are fighting the SAME fight. A fight for our liberties and rights is always the same fight, no matter what the liberties and rights are that we are fighting for. Do you get it now? I doubt it.... shocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You are so caught up in your own little world that you don't even realize we are fighting the SAME fight. A fight for our liberties and rights is always the same fight, no matter what the liberties and rights are that we are fighting for. Do you get it now? I doubt it.... shocker.
Well when I see people like you care about bigger liberties, then I will believe it....personally I like to pick my battles, a limit on soda size isn't one of them...but then again I never drink anything larger than 16oz, so I guess my freedom isn't being compromised.

Seriously, worry about bigger issues. When I see people like you help people like me to pass gay marriage and fully support a women's rights, then we will have something worth talking about, until then, I have to assume that you don't get it.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Actually he did say alot about salt in foods, as well as transfats (they are banned now thanks to him). While I agree that we should be FREE to eat/drink/do whatever we want, the problem is this:

We now live in a society where the government (aka taxpayers) must pay for you and your choices. When you eat/drink high fat/high calorie foods and have a heart attack at 45 and are now "disabled", the government (aka taxpayers) provide you money (disability check, SSI check), pay for your housing, and all your medical care FOR LIFE. What happened to all that freedom again...now everyone has to take care of you. You only want freedom when it is convenient for you, and so long as there is no risk/responsibility/repurcussions. That is not freedom that is a fantasy.

If you guarantee that you will not receive any government support for your choices, nobody will restrict you from not wearing a seat belt, drinking 3 bottles of 2 liter Pepsi's a day, or eating salt packets for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Otherwise, we all have a vested interest in you improving your health and taking care of yourself as we are all stuck with the aftermath.
AIDS sufferers that contracted HIV infection through sexual activity or drug addiction could be judged just as equally for their poor choices. So can anyone who suffers any other kind of STI, athletic injury, is fault in a car accident or makes a foolish decision while intoxicated. Why not just deny any kind of health care to anyone unless they can prove that they were not the cause of their injury/disease by making poor decisions or otherwise? Look at all the money you'll save!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Seriously, worry about bigger issues.
Whippersnapper was right; a fight for liberty and freedom of choice is the same, no matter how it's being framed. I'll grant you that the size of a soda you're allowed to drink shouldn't be an issue...but our illustrious control freak of a Mayor has made it one.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 AM

71 posts, read 149,426 times
The health care issue wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if health care itself was actually affordable enough that all working people could easily afford to be responsible for their own treatment.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
The health care issue wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if health care itself was actually affordable enough that all working people could easily afford to be responsible for their own treatment.
Essentially, there are 26% of the people in this country trying to dictate what the 74% should do with their health care. Should we have more affordable health care? Yes. Should we have "free" health care? No. It's expensive to run a hospital. To pay Dr's, RN's, Aides. To get expensive equipment, life saving meds. Health care should focus on preventive care (which is all Obamacare really is but fails to put it in the public's hands). If you made preventive care cheap, then people could take care of their bodies before major issues strike. If something does, then they would have a health insurance plan to cover this.

Just like car insurance. If you drive irresponsible, you could see your insurance rates go up or maybe some companies don't want to cover you because of the risk. A lot of people get in accidents or get tickets. They all pay into the system should something happen. When it does, the rates could go up. But the thing is, SOMEONE HAS TO BE PAYING INTO THE SYSTEM. We can't always go to the rich with our bills and expect them to pay it. If you do it enough, they will leave and find someplace that doesn't have such restrictive laws.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I agree with Whippersnapper...I am all about freedom! However we don't live in his idealized society because we DID live like that, and as a society, we decided it is in the interest of our society not to have people die in the streets, not to have people living in the streets, to provide people healthcare, provide people education, and on and on. We decided we did not want to be India, so we have government provide for these basics.

Whippersnapper, if you want government to withdraw itself from providing our society healthcare, education, food, housing, etc, then you have a very different version of society than the rest of the country. If you believe we are better off "every many for himself", well...look around at those countries whose governments do nothing (very little) for its citizens..and then look at those countries who excel at providing excellent and broad services to its citizens.

THAT is the reality versus the "freedom" rhetoric. Yes I want freedom to drink 800 ounces of whatever every day, but we all live together as a society, and assisting people make better choices is in everyone's best interest. Educating the population to eat better isn't working..we have been trying that.

Freedom is great...but we have rules and laws which protect everyone, some are useless, most are not, but in the end...we as a society have decided to be more like socialized Europe than "you are on your own" Haiti.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 AM

71 posts, read 149,426 times
Quote:
I agree with Whippersnapper...I am all about freedom! However we don't live in his idealized society because we DID live like that, and as a society, we decided it is in the interest of our society not to have people die in the streets, not to have people living in the streets, to provide people healthcare, provide people education, and on and on. We decided we did not want to be India, so we have government provide for these basics.

Whippersnapper, if you want government to withdraw itself from providing our society healthcare, education, food, housing, etc, then you have a very different version of society than the rest of the country. If you believe we are better off "every many for himself", well...look around at those countries whose governments do nothing (very little) for its citizens..and then look at those countries who excel at providing excellent and broad services to its citizens.

THAT is the reality versus the "freedom" rhetoric. Yes I want freedom to drink 800 ounces of whatever every day, but we all live together as a society, and assisting people make better choices is in everyone's best interest. Educating the population to eat better isn't working..we have been trying that.

Freedom is great...but we have rules and laws which protect everyone, some are useless, most are not, but in the end...we as a society have decided to be more like socialized Europe than "you are on your own" Haiti.
OK but maybe if you're willing to "sign a release" (as you said) to be able to engage in unhealthy behaviors in exchange for having to pay completely for your own medical care, you should be able to do so.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Well when I see people like you care about bigger liberties, then I will believe it....personally I like to pick my battles, a limit on soda size isn't one of them...but then again I never drink anything larger than 16oz, so I guess my freedom isn't being compromised.

Seriously, worry about bigger issues. When I see people like you help people like me to pass gay marriage and fully support a women's rights, then we will have something worth talking about, until then, I have to assume that you don't get it.
SEE QUOTE BELOW.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If you don't understand it after.....count'em......49 pages, you are officialy a LOST cause
Quote:

I am convinced that you are a government plant.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I am much worse than that. But doesn't change the fact that I am correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City