Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Meh, the whole anti gun crowd is just following their assigned talking points...they don't even understand guns except to know that they're scared of them and want them to not exist...funny thing is though, they are the people who benefit the most from law abiding citizens the most...they are the clueless victims among us...victims of everything...they NEED government to watch over them and protect them from everything.
If I recall correctly, a few months ago, I think Columbia or Fordham University, or some school in Manhattan held an open forum discussion on gun control where both sides of the aisle got to come and openly share their views and discuss the topic in an educational matter. What I was told by one of the attendees was that a young lady from the anti-gun side got up to speak on the subject and the comment that stood out to him was that she stated that she "would rather be raped and murdered rather than use a gun to defend herself". I don't know about you guys, but I was shaking my head in shock and amazement afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Someone who wants to save the world, or at least New York City, from the epic disaster of 20 oz soft drinks certainly is the right person to persuade sensible Americans to give up their guns. Hey , and that idea of having police go on a nationwide strike until people support more gun control. Brilliant!
This man really knows how to speak to people in the heartland.
I agree with you guys. I remember one time during a business meeting one of my clients who is anti-gun and also an environmentalist said that she is more afraid of the "sight of planet earth being bare and wasted over the sight of an Uzi" I had to hold back from laughing out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
If I recall correctly, a few months ago, I think Columbia or Fordham University, or some school in Manhattan held an open forum discussion on gun control where both sides of the aisle got to come and openly share their views and discuss the topic in an educational matter. What I was told by one of the attendees was that a young lady from the anti-gun side got up to speak on the subject and the comment that stood out to him was that she stated that she "would rather be raped and murdered rather than use a gun to defend herself". I don't know about you guys, but I was shaking my head in shock and amazement afterwards.

I agree with you guys. I remember one time during a business meeting one of my clients who is anti-gun and also an environmentalist said that she is more afraid of the "sight of planet earth being bare and wasted over the sight of an Uzi" I had to hold back from laughing out loud.
Did they own an iphone?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
I don't see anything wrong with high capacity mags. Most people use them at the range for fun and recreation. From a self-defense standpoint, high-capacity mags can be good for situations where say for instance, a homeowner is being threatened by several armed gunman, like that one incident that took place in Arizona. People are getting freaked out over one isolated (and tragic) incident like this stuff is the norm, when fortunately, it's not. Bloomberg is just being his usual control freak self.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Meh, the whole anti gun crowd is just following their assigned talking points...they don't even understand guns except to know that they're scared of them and want them to not exist...funny thing is though, they are the people who benefit the most from law abiding citizens the most...they are the clueless victims among us...victims of everything...they NEED government to watch over them and protect them from everything.
That's funny because that is the same thing I hear over and over from the pro gun crowd is nothing but assigned talking points...and I have yet to see the benefit of having armed people around me. If any is pulling out a gun, that is not a good situation to be in period.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I don't see anything wrong with high capacity mags. Most people use them at the range for fun and recreation. From a self-defense standpoint, high-capacity mags can be good for situations where say for instance, a homeowner is being threatened by several armed gunman, like that one incident that took place in Arizona. People are getting freaked out over one isolated (and tragic) incident like this stuff is the norm, when fortunately, it's not. Bloomberg is just being his usual control freak self.
Yep cause nothing says good protection that the ability to randomly spray bullets. You know what is better to defend yourself than high capacity magazines...being trained how to properly shoot a gun.

Also, you live in a country that does most of its things off of isolated incidents, remember when two planes flew into a couple buildings....try getting on a plane without being fully searched.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:52 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That's funny because that is the same thing I hear over and over from the pro gun crowd is nothing but assigned talking points...and I have yet to see the benefit of having armed people around me. If any is pulling out a gun, that is not a good situation to be in period.
there is no benefit to having armed people around you. thats like other people having fire insurance and you dont

Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
San Francisco is revoltingly vapid, pretentious, and elitist.
New York City is obnoxious, arrogant, dirty, and overcrowded
Never been to Boston, but it probably sucks too.

We can throw around meaningless insults all day!
There's more art, architecture, beauty, history, charm in one block of the Upper West Side or the Castro than in the 99% of the SunBelt cities

Old 07-29-2012, 03:01 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,838 times
Quote:
That doesn't explain why Nevada, Lousiana and Mississippi have the highest gun ownership rates as well as the highest crime/murder/homicide rates in the USA... without counting all the accidental gun deaths
Wow, gun nuts are have made the SunBelt safer than Japan and Australia... oh, wait...

Last edited by italianuser; 07-29-2012 at 03:22 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Gun nuts cling to their Bibles and guns. Ignorance and superstition go hand in hand.

Gun nuts claim the guns they keep at home are for protection, but how many time you hear them speaking about the tragedies those same guns cause?
The fact of the matter is that households with guns are more likely to be used for suicide, children shooting themselves or other children, and of course, accidental shooting of a relative.

Here's recent news story that gun nuts prefer not read.

A police officer shot and killed his own son, when mistakenly thinking he was an intruder.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1119487

Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 AM

458 posts, read 616,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
There's more art, architecture, beauty, history, charm in one block of the Upper West Side or the Castro than in the 99% of the SunBelt cities
That might be the funniest thing I've heard all week. The Upper West Side... has culture?

By the way, the Castro is in the Sun Belt (but I'll assume you didn't know that since there are so many things you've demonstrated ignorance of already - what's one more thing?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City