Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times

Advertisements

After Another Death, MTA Reconsiders Protective Platform Doors - Commute - The Atlantic Cities

After Another Death, MTA Reconsiders Protective Platform Doors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
After Another Death, MTA Reconsiders Protective Platform Doors - Commute - The Atlantic Cities

After Another Death, MTA Reconsiders Protective Platform Doors
Implementing that system will cost millions of dollars causing the price of a one way subway ticket to go up to close to $4 and monthly pass will go up to nearly $200. Unless Bloomberg (who is hemorrhaging money, last I checked he was at $28 Billion Net Worth) could do the city a favor and pay for it from the money in his ash tray.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Implementing that system will cost millions of dollars causing the price of a one way subway ticket to go up to close to $4 and monthly pass will go up to nearly $200. Unless Bloomberg (who is hemorrhaging money, last I checked he was at $28 Billion Net Worth) could do the city a favor and pay for it from the money in his ash tray.
If you read the article, the private company was willing to pay for it. They even devised a scheme to prevent service disruption during installations. In return they want to control advertising on it.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
makes u want to do several things.
move to NYC
take public transportation a lot.
stop driving and really get to know the people around u.
support and advocate mass transit systems as the future of america.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
If you read the article, the private company was willing to pay for it. They even devised a scheme to prevent service disruption during installations. In return they want to control advertising on it.
Lol I didn't read that part, just skimmed through the article. In that case it would be a great idea.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM

804 posts, read 2,893,293 times
Maybe we should ban all high capacity trains and buses...

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
I'd hate to figure out how that works, given that there are different door spacings between different cars which sometimes on the same track. An 75 foot car has 18' 2 1/4" between doors; a 60 foot car has 14' 7" between the doors. So how do you line up the platform doors and the car doors, given that you sometimes run 75 foot cars and 60 foot cars on the same track? You can't just have two sets of doors, because they'd overlap. I'm sure there's an engineering solution, but I bet it's difficult, complicated, and expensive.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
makes u want to do several things.
move to NYC
take public transportation a lot.
stop driving and really get to know the people around u.
support and advocate mass transit systems as the future of america.
Only two types of people you're preaching to here: the already converted and intransigent heretics. You want to get someone to appreciate driving, take 'em on a little tour of the subway system. At rush hour. Hit all the high points: Pass by the bums and "musicians" in Penn Station. Enjoy the sandwich bums on the C as they squeeze past the tourists with their suitcases, get knocked out by a subway breakdancer on the A. Head down to 14th street station, exit and re-enter for a free NYPD bag search. Get on the L and marvel at all the pretentious hipsters. Then switch to the Lex at Union Square for the full sardine experience; go to Times Square and try to transfer to the 7th avenue line. Take that down to the financial district, enter at the end of the E line and inhale the odor of stale urine (or, if you're really lucky, fresh). Take that all the way to 53rd and Lex and enjoy the long climb out.

(I'm an intransigent heretic)

Hmm, maybe this should be on the annoyances thread.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Well you don't have to approach the lady if you are too afraid. How about just following the murderer and taking a picture of her so that the rest of the world can be a little safer? Is that too much to ask? All these cowards that saw this woman push this man did nothing? How can you accept that and just turn a blind eye? I'm sorry but you are speaking from a cowards perspective.

AMEN!!!

I hate when people make these LAME excuses. At the end of the day, treat situations how you would want it to approached if you were on the other side of the fence. I don't try to play super hero but if I see someone whom I KNOW is completely innocent and is being threatened or harmed I'll step in somehow and I have done so quite a few times. It's called being a good Samaritan. I know I would want someone to protect my mother, siblings or any other close friends or family I have so I would do the same. And I know there's been some situations where I was harassed and obviously innocent and deep down inside I was hoping I would have some back up but to no avail. I mean I stood my ground and defended myself but sometimes people just turn a blind eye and are happier in their ignorance.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Only two types of people you're preaching to here: the already converted and intransigent heretics. You want to get someone to appreciate driving, take 'em on a little tour of the subway system. At rush hour. Hit all the high points: Pass by the bums and "musicians" in Penn Station. Enjoy the sandwich bums on the C as they squeeze past the tourists with their suitcases, get knocked out by a subway breakdancer on the A. Head down to 14th street station, exit and re-enter for a free NYPD bag search. Get on the L and marvel at all the pretentious hipsters. Then switch to the Lex at Union Square for the full sardine experience; go to Times Square and try to transfer to the 7th avenue line. Take that down to the financial district, enter at the end of the E line and inhale the odor of stale urine (or, if you're really lucky, fresh). Take that all the way to 53rd and Lex and enjoy the long climb out.

(I'm an intransigent heretic)

Hmm, maybe this should be on the annoyances thread.
Oh please.

Not everyone is annoyed by public displays of creativity (in this case music). I, for one, do not mind at all. In fact, I love that aspect of our transit system.

I have also never had my bag searched by the NYPD, nor have I ever been inconvenienced by the act.

You must have some awful luck. I am personally largely unfazed by your typical sensitivities. I throw on my head phones and call it a day. I don't have a problem brushing up during rush hour for a little bit, might I suggest you grow a pair?

At the same time, try driving during rush hour to any commercial corridor. Completely unpleasant. I would rather read an eBook, listen to a podcast, or have a conversation then stress over traffic and parking. Gas, tolls, tickets, overpriced insurance. Alternate side parking and rough roads. Dealing with dents and dings (maybe an occasional key). No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City