Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 04:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I was going to say the same. apparently he states again and again that he does not care how others are struggling in his community yet hecomes out with a big mouth full of opinions on how little education means in life. being a gay, he won't have the previlige/responsibility of raising children, so his non productive attitude will likely end where he is, which is a relief.
I know plenty of gay men who have biological children (we still have sperm and can get surrogate mothers) and I know plenty of gay men who have adopted. So epic fail on it being impossible for me to pass on my outlook in life.

As for me not being concerned about what goes on in "my" community, I OWN no community. I have no special connections with Blacks, and no more than I would of people in any other race. I have no special concerns, either.

And it's not like you give a damn about poor Blacks, either. You're the one with the big mouth . If you have such brilliant solutions get on the train, go to the poorest Black neighborhood you can find (Brownsville) and implement your wonderful solutions. Oops, it's much easier to talk on City Data than it is go to a place where you want nothing to do with the people, and whom you apparently despise.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I wouldn't mind much about being on a Caribbean Island, even in a slum, if I was close to the beach. I love swimming. I'm not the one whose desperate to say he made it into mainstream America.

So you're apparently jealous about help you allege AA and Hispanics are receiving (which I personally never received and which doesn't really exist). Your education didn't seem to do you that much good if you're this jaded, washed up, and bitter.

Yes when ever people babble about all the advantages that blacks and Hispanics receive they can never point to concrete evidence of this, beyond some notion that they didn't get a job because a company was forced to hire a minority instead. Discounting of course that the vast majority of professional/management personnel were whites, usually male.

I once got a call from the Wall Street Journal asking my opinion about affirmative action in the corporate world. My response was that I wasn't aware of any, unless he was referring to white males from privileged backgrounds. He stuttered and stammered and squeaked that this wasn't what he was looking for.

Needless to say that I never saw this article show up in the WSJ. Guess he couldn't find any black professionals eager to moan about their guilt about receiving preferential treatment.

In the corporate world success is based upon finding mentors to teach you the ropes about how the organization works, and to put in a good word for you when an opportunity for promotion comes up. Most people tend to be more open with people who they have the most in common with, so clearly white men with Ivy backgrounds from affluent suburban families have the advantage.

Nothing makes things happen faster than a white kid, just out of school, mentions his father who knows loads of influential people at the country club.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Everyone always talks about environment, poverty, culture, but let's not forget IQ (race and intelligence). Google it if you are interested.

We have already established that people with strong quantitative skills will score better in IQ tests.

Such tests have long being discredited in terms of determining the IQ of distinct ethnic groups.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post

I pointed out the statement you made about living in a slum if it was close to a beach. I pointed out there are flaws because you ignore many other important factors such as violence and crime. There are other issues also like clean water, availabity of water, food, sewage, sanitary conditions, etc. Maybe your experience in Paraguay wasn't bad, but to use that as a measuring stick is kind of foolish when there many factors come into play.

Anyway, great way to derail a thread. How about sticking to the topic and addressing it. I provided numerous links, thus backing up my points! How about you back your BS
Neither Paraguay nor Brazil are at the forefront of standards regarding sewage and clean water. For that matter, downtown Asuncion the vehicles had pretty poor emission standards by American standards. But I did just fine there. Yes, I actually enjoyed myself in a third world country. It's something you can't conceive of because your own thought processes are based on you and your family fleeing the poverty that you came from. And you're projecting that on me, because you so badly fear these poor condition you assume my saying I would be perfectly happy living in a poor area in the Caribbean as long as it was close to the beach. Really, dude, speak for yourself and stop the preaching. I get that living in the Caribbean is something you wouldn't do, but it is something I would do and may do in the future.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm
BTW, come to think of it I'd put my money on the Vermonter vs. you in a square dance any day of the week.

How many people in the USA of any race care anything about square dancing? I would dare to say that most white kids would sooner hang out in a hip hop club than one where they actually do the square dance.

Any case the square dance isn't hard to learn either. Come better than that. Try a waltz or something.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
A major problem that people have is assuming that ethnic groups are a monolith.

Vikram Pandit came from an elite background in India, and his father headed a major chemical company in that country.

When one looks at people from various groups, one must look at WHO from within that group migrates. What is commendable about the Chinese is that large numbers of them come from humble backgrounds in China and do their best to get their kids to at least CUNY.

Many Indians come from elite backgrounds and are highly educated. So can one compare the kid of a CEO of a major company with the kid of a restaurant and garment factory workers?

So clearly Pandit would have arrived with a highly developed notion of how to succeed, going beyond holding a degree from a prestigious university.

Clearly the kid of a restaurant worker would not have had any notion of this, and then would hit a wall when he realized that so many people have prestigious degrees and its the ability to build a productive social network that would guarantee success in the corporate world.

There are many kids of Indian background who come very humble origins. MANY Indians in fact don't come from elite backgrounds. The issue you pointed out about elite backgrounds is true but it pertains to every ethnic group.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Sure, we can and will let any and all groups lag. It's an individual choice to pursue STEM skills. And the society does not need that many people with STEM skills. Most people work ****ty jobs, and this will always remain the case.

STEM skills would only pay well if they are relatively rare. The jobs that can be done by everyone pay the minimum wage. It's actually in the best interest of people in STEM to restrict entrants into the field. And restrict they do.

Have you been to an American University, Carib? A big percentage of people who in their freshman year say they are going to be STEM majors. Most drop out.

Why?

In your classes (this was true for even the humanities at Cornell), grades are either curved up or curved down. You have to be better than the average person (ideally much better) in your freshman classes in order to move up in your major to graduate (much less go to grad school or med school). Many just don't make the cut, and that's a DELIBERATE process.

Most people who are pre med undergraduate don't make medical school. The AMA actually restricts the supply of doctors.

The Evil-Mongering Of The American Medical Association - Forbes

Not only have no new medical schools be allowed to open in 30 years, the AMA actually had substandard medical schools shut down if you read that Forbes article. By restricting the supply of doctors, it made physician salaries increase.

Every field out there that pays well has substantial barriers to entry, because if everyone could do it, it would only be worth what's paid working in retail (at or near the minimum wage).
Societies are composed of individuals. This means that when large numbers of individuals fail, then so too does society eventually. Which means that life becomes harder for many individuals.

So lets say that the USA ceases to be a center of innovation because we don't produce enough people with STEM skills, and can no longer attracts those from overseas.

What happens to our economy, as we become a nation of Walmart workers importing products produced from scratch by Korean products? Even Facebook will have to relocate as they seek qualified people to hire.

So you ought to be concerned if a society doesn't produce enough talent, even if you don't care about the fortunes of each individual. No man is an island. Something that my father used to tell me all the time when he thought that I didn't understand the need to be connected to productive social communities, and that that I could do every thing on my own.

The biggest crisis that will hit healthcare in the USA is when the existing generation of primary care physicians retire. Who is going to replace them? Will we have to depend on nurses to take care of us? But then many of the more skilled nurses are also retiring too!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
There are many kids of Indian background who come very humble origins. MANY Indians in fact don't come from elite backgrounds. The issue you pointed out about elite backgrounds is true but it pertains to every ethnic group.

How many of those Indian kids from humble backgrounds become the next Vikram Pandit though?

Few?

India has a massive problem of poverty so clearly that nation has huge social problems of its own.

The issue of the elite backgrounds of Indian immigrants is pertinent because a disproportionate % of these migrating to the USA come from these backgrounds. Indeed even many who work in newsstands in NYC have graduated from college in India, but couldn't use their training in the USA. Best believe that their kids will succeed.

Indeed there is no parent who is more passionate for the education of his kids than an immigrant who experienced extreme downward mobility upon migrating to the USA. They will use their entire educational background to ensure that their kids get the best quality education possible, even if they couldn't apply it to getting better jobs for themselves. This is why the white kids at Stuy will usually not be multi generational Americans. Most will be Russian.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Neither Paraguay nor Brazil are at the forefront of standards regarding sewage and clean water. For that matter, downtown Asuncion the vehicles had pretty poor emission standards by American standards. But I did just fine there. Yes, I actually enjoyed myself in a third world country. It's something you can't conceive of because your own thought processes are based on you and your family fleeing the poverty that you came from. And you're projecting that on me, because you so badly fear these poor condition you assume my saying I would be perfectly happy living in a poor area in the Caribbean as long as it was close to the beach. Really, dude, speak for yourself and stop the preaching. I get that living in the Caribbean is something you wouldn't do, but it is something I would do and may do in the future.

You are assuming I left a third world country. I was born and raised in NYC. I went back to live in a 3rd world country for 3 yrs as a single adult and also enjoyed the experience. But there are issues that would make me reconsider if I had a family to raise. I was trying to make a point, that's it. If the Caribbean is so great, why won't you leave yesterday? Keep your opinions to yourself and stick to the thread. I could give a **** about your experiences in Haiti. Either back up your statements about the thread topic or ****. I gave numeorus links to support my claims, how about you focus on the topic instead of focusing on my personal life?

The point is this an issue that affects all ppl not just AA or hispanics. Competition is here to stay, get used to it. Why should all taxpayers foot the bill for certain minorities only? If there is a quota and special considerations for AA and hispanics in education, then how about the same for Asians and others in media and sports? How about their parents take some responsibilty. When ppl try to expose the issues facing Asians in America, nobody wants to listen. As soon as its about AA or Hispanics, the media throws extensive coverage behind it.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
How many of those Indian kids from humble backgrounds become the next Vikram Pandit though?

Few?

India has a massive problem of poverty so clearly that nation has huge social problems of its own.

The issue of the elite backgrounds of Indian immigrants is pertinent because a disproportionate % of these migrating to the USA come from these backgrounds. Indeed even many who work in newsstands in NYC have graduated from college in India, but couldn't use their training in the USA. Best believe that their kids will succeed.

Indeed there is no parent who is more passionate for the education of his kids than an immigrant who experienced extreme downward mobility upon migrating to the USA. They will use their entire educational background to ensure that their kids get the best quality education possible, even if they couldn't apply it to getting better jobs for themselves. This is why the white kids at Stuy will usually not be multi generational Americans. Most will be Russian.

Many Indians from humble backgrounds go on to become leaders in their respective fields. The problem is American media tends to dumb ppl down. It wil only focus on what it deems is appropriate or newsworthy. Your point about the disproportionate % is not accurate.

Here is a link proving my point...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/op...cess.html?_r=0

There are too many generalizations going around.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City