Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,036 times

Advertisements

Where would these teachers move to? On those kind of salaries it would have to be the Bronx, way out in Bk, Queens or SI. If you grew-up in a nice house in suburbia that kind life-style will not appeal to you.
NYC schools are essentially free day care for many working parents. Parents grumble when the schools close and they can't get time off from their jobs but what do you expect? The teacher will not drive down from Dutchess county when the weather is bad.

As far as other essential workers go they will try to mandate in some cases but it is dangerous when you have emergency facilities running with a skeleton staff. I live in the boroughs and was once the only RN on my entire unit during a weather emergency. Administrators will tell you to do the best you can but if you only have two hands what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Spot on. But to be fair, its ridiculous when the ENTIRE Northeast (Yes, it hapoened a few times this winter) closes school except for NYC.

School staff comes in angry that they risked their life when only 20% shows up anyway.

i know, I know, well maybe they should work out in the suburbs where they live. Well...obviously there were no open jobs there.

I know, I know, maybe the teachers should move into the city. A) Most folks who grew up in the suburbs have no interest in living in the city and B) Probabaly cannot even afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM

287 posts, read 593,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Where would these teachers move to? On those kind of salaries it would have to be the Bronx, way out in Bk, Queens or SI. If you grew-up in a nice house in suburbia that kind life-style will not appeal to you.
NYC schools are essentially free day care for many working parents. Parents grumble when the schools close and they can't get time off from their jobs but what do you expect? The teacher will not drive down from Dutchess county when the weather is bad.

As far as other essential workers go they will try to mandate in some cases but it is dangerous when you have emergency facilities running with a skeleton staff. I live in the boroughs and was once the only RN on my entire unit during a weather emergency. Administrators will tell you to do the best you can but if you only have two hands what can you do?
Funny you say Duchess County. I know teachers who live in Duchess and Orange County and commute to Manhattan where they work. If the roads are bad, they will flat out refuse to come to work. I don't blame them. NYC needs to use common sense and close down when there is significant snow. NYC isnt the only place where parents "need to go to work" or are low-income. There is no sense that whe EVERY school district in every state surrounding NY closes their schools, and NYC is open full day. Flat out wrong.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM

There are a lot of people living in that county and others that are just to far to commute from when the weather is bad. People don't become educated to live in undesirable areas so they commute really far to give themselves and their families the lifestyle they may have grown up with or always wanted to have. It usually doesn't affect anyone except the commuter but when the weather gets bad all hell breaks loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Funny you say Duchess County. I know teachers who live in Duchess and Orange County and commute to Manhattan where they work. If the roads are bad, they will flat out refuse to come to work. I don't blame them. NYC needs to use common sense and close down when there is significant snow. NYC isnt the only place where parents "need to go to work" or are low-income. There is no sense that whe EVERY school district in every state surrounding NY closes their schools, and NYC is open full day. Flat out wrong.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:

There are teachers who grew up in NYC and who live in NYC, even Manhattan and teach.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So when NYC has no nurses and you fall ill I don't expect any squealing from you. RNs don't under go their training to live doubled up as boarders and they can find work ANYWHERE in this country.

NYC is walking on thin ice with the notion that it can charge extreme rents and think that it will retain its middle class or a viable business sector. Its that simple. Back office functions will move to Tampa and NYC will end up like Mumbai. If that makes you happy then you are welcome.
NYC has maintained it's middle class, and NYC hospitals have NO PROBLEM retaining nurses. I'm sorry you're not doing well in NYC apparently but no need to project that on to everyone else.

If by nurse you mean RN they do not have to have borders and over time many of them can purchase their own homes and have cars and drive to work. A number of people who are nurses purchase various forms of affordable housing. I get that a certain percentage of transplants and immigrants are never avle to squeeze the concept of applying for and getting affordable housing into their minds (half of Manhattan is affordable housing of some sort). But that's the fault of the newcomers who cannot adapt to their new homes.

NYC has always had a large percentage of it's population that had to deal with borders. If this was an issue for you, you never should have come here. Expecting a city to change to fit your conceptions of life is ridiculous. I didn't make you move here from Jamaica, nor I am forcing you to stay.

As for NYC's back office functions moving out of the city, why should I care about that? In fact, it's already happened YEARS ago.

You really can't change the things you're complaining about, either learn to accept them or move to wherever you feel better about the situation.

I agree with the OP in the sense that it's no one's God given right to live in NYC. It's also no one's god given right to live in any particular town, city, state, or country. At a certain point you need to live where you can be HAPPY with the situation instead of endlessly whining. In NYC for DECADES it has been living with roommates/borders/extra family members or live in affordable housing. All that and NYC is still the most populous city in the nation, still the business capital, still attracts companies like Google, Facebook, film and tv industry, still attracts investment in real estate, etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 AM

432 posts, read 552,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
And when thousands of people pour into that neighborhood, fleeing soaring rents elsewhere, how long do these rents remain? I am reading that rents in Crown Heights are now $2,600 for a ONE BR. And this isn't the most fashionable neighborhood in Brooklyn either.
It is quickly becoming fashionable. Once it is no longer affordable people will look elsewhere. There is always someone looking for the next bargain in real estate.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 AM

432 posts, read 552,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Such smug ignorance. You should spend some time talking to actual people - I do.

Student loan debt, for example, which many people carry, cuts into that "pony up" funding.
As do many other things.
Spending one-third of income on rent/mortgage is standard in NY.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are teachers who grew up in NYC and who live in NYC, even Manhattan and teach.
Obviously 100% of Nyc don't live outside the five boroughs but enough of them do to make an impact during inclement weather.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:

New York City hospitals do have problems do often find they have problems with nursing staff finding affordable housing. Mind you RN wages are not too shabby here; new grads can start out at $73K to nearly $81k, with experienced nurses able to pull nearly $100k or more with overtime and perhaps some traveling. Being as that may such wages (on the lower reaches) is often not enough for nurses to find housing close to or in the City.

Know of nurses from Staten Island that commute to Brooklyn or Queens. Some from New Jersey that commute to Staten Island or Manhattan. Nurses from Westchester, Duchess, Orange and Rockland that commute to Manhattan, and so forth.

Memorial Slone Kettering is building new housing on Roosevelt Island, and NYP IIRC did the same on Second Avenue in the 70's. NYP also has various housing schemes in and around Harlem for nurses I *think* as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York City hospitals do have problems do often find they have problems with nursing staff finding affordable housing. Mind you RN wages are not too shabby here; new grads can start out at $73K to nearly $81k, with experienced nurses able to pull nearly $100k or more with overtime and perhaps some traveling. Being as that may such wages (on the lower reaches) is often not enough for nurses to find housing close to or in the City.

Know of nurses from Staten Island that commute to Brooklyn or Queens. Some from New Jersey that commute to Staten Island or Manhattan. Nurses from Westchester, Duchess, Orange and Rockland that commute to Manhattan, and so forth.

Memorial Slone Kettering is building new housing on Roosevelt Island, and NYP IIRC did the same on Second Avenue in the 70's. NYP also has various housing schemes in and around Harlem for nurses I *think* as well.
With those wages people can easily find housing anywhere in the city. They will just be living with other people. I know a lot of people think they are too high and mighty to do that, and that's where the problems come in. What college nursing grad out of college can't live with roommates? Seriously, as a college student they were either at home with family or having roommates. Yes, in NYC after graduation they will very well be living with other people but if they save up their money or just keep an eye on whatever housing opportunities may come they will be able to eventually get their own place. Realistically in the smallest towns in the USA people in their 20s still quite normally have varying degrees of parental support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City