Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In NYC for DECADES it has been living with roommates/borders/extra family members or live in affordable housing.
This is one of your frequent lines. Can you post proof that this is the case for a sizeable percentage of NY'ers?
There are many thousands of households in NYC that don't have (or want) subsidized housing or take on "borders" or other family members to get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Oh yes, I'm a slumlord. A slumlord that passionate in improve the Bronx. In fact, that's how I've been able to successfully attract doctors, teachers, accountants as my tenants...by being a slumlord. Riiiight!

And just the other day you were whining about all the ghetto people who were destroying your neighborhood. Now what is the truth?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
NYC has maintained it's middle class, and NYC hospitals have NO PROBLEM retaining nurses. , etc.

You need to tell that to the hospitals who find it increasingly tough to find quality nurses willing to work in hospitals. And they will also tell you that the ones who they do have are heavily concentrated in their late 50s, which means they aren't going to be around for that much longer. Those 100 hour weeks that those nurses do wears on them after a while.

And we aren't even getting into what will happen if rents continue to escalate as people pushed out of neighborhoods closer to Manhattan move into areas which are more distant.

NYC has an emerging housing crisis and those who fail to do so are being short sighted, In any case it is only the truly unambitious (you maybe) who will be content to shell out ever higher rents, when you should be looking to own.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I know a lot of people think they are too high and mighty to do that, and that's where the problems come in. .

Only children are content to share housing with people who aren't their family members. Mature adults want their own privacy and quality of life. What is so precious about NYC if that is the only way that people can find some where decent to live?

In any case most nurses are very big on owning their own homes, and if that becomes impossible in the NY area, they will simply move. Its that easy. I don't think that a nurse will ever have problems finding work.

In the mean time NYC, with its large numbers of hospitals, has a challenge, and that is within the next 10 years most of its nurses will retire and there is a serious shortage of nurses willing to work in hospitals. Especially in OR and ICU areas.

Ditto with teachers.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You need to tell that to the hospitals who find it increasingly tough to find quality nurses willing to work in hospitals. And they will also tell you that the ones who they do have are heavily concentrated in their late 50s, which means they aren't going to be around for that much longer. Those 100 hour weeks that those nurses do wears on them after a while.

And we aren't even getting into what will happen if rents continue to escalate as people pushed out of neighborhoods closer to Manhattan move into areas which are more distant.

NYC has an emerging housing crisis and those who fail to do so are being short sighted, In any case it is only the truly unambitious (you maybe) who will be content to shell out ever higher rents, when you should be looking to own.

Know plenty about the healthcare field and nursing in particular. NYC hospitals at least those in Manhattan and or part of the major healthcare networks may have problems finding *experienced* nurses, but that is about far as it goes. There are plenty of new graduates and or recently licensed that cannot get NYC hospitals to even look at them twice.

That being said all hospitals/healthcare systems in the NYC area including Long Island and Westchester face the same problems. Finding quality employees willing to work at wages offered. Indeed just last week the head of NS-LIJ was on some news segment that focused on recent LI college graduates leaving the area. They are leaving because of the high cost of living in relation to jobs when they can find. OTOH the head of NS-LIJ stated they have a hard time filling positions because persons want/need more in wages than the system can pay.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:37 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is one of your frequent lines. Can you post proof that this is the case for a sizeable percentage of NY'ers?
I wonder if there are stats on this.
but... is it really up for debate?

I mean shared housing in NYC is the premise of "Friends"

Pretty much everyone I know in NYC lived with roommates at one point, and many still do. One of my roommates once had a secret roommate, who seemed like she was just her friend who hung out all the time but really had no other place to live! I've not lived anywhere else where that kind of **** happens.

She was a Homeless Heidi:

[vimeo]53044579[/vimeo]
High Maintenance // Heidi on Vimeo

Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There are many thousands of households in NYC that don't have (or want) subsidized housing or take on "borders" or other family members to get by.
Half of Manhattan is rent stabilized, and considering rent stabilized apartments are those under $2500, a sizable percentage of the outer boroughs are in rent stabilized housing. NYCHA alone is about 7% of the city. You can do your own research for the stats.

As for roommates/borders/extra family members, I seriously doubt there are reliable statistics on those, in part because many of these situations are illegal. It's like asking how many New Yorkers do drugs. Clearly many, but how many are going to say so on a Census bureau form.

As for what thousands of households in NYC want, they will do what they can afford to do. If they can afford to live alone or just with the married couple, fine. If they can't they will be taking in borders, living in subsidized housing, or they will have to leave town. The bottom line is it doesn't matter at all what people want to do, what matters is what they have the money to do and that is what they will deal with.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Only children are content to share housing with people who aren't their family members. Mature adults want their own privacy and quality of life. What is so precious about NYC if that is the only way that people can find some where decent to live?

In any case most nurses are very big on owning their own homes, and if that becomes impossible in the NY area, they will simply move. Its that easy. I don't think that a nurse will ever have problems finding work.

In the mean time NYC, with its large numbers of hospitals, has a challenge, and that is within the next 10 years most of its nurses will retire and there is a serious shortage of nurses willing to work in hospitals. Especially in OR and ICU areas.

Ditto with teachers.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! All because CaribNY is facing economic problems in NYC!

I've known nurses in other states. Depending on where the nurse works, housing costs may be less, but so may salaries. And then there is commuting costs.

What a lot of people on City Data's New York forum fail to understand is that there are economic problems AROUND the ENTIRE NATION!

There is no magical place where one can move to where you have a thriving middle class in the US. The middle class is diminished all over the country.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:

Ditto with teachers.
Actually, considering that NYC can recruit nurses and teachers from around the world, they will never have any problems getting new nurses to move here.

I think you're projecting your own feelings onto nurses here.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Ditto with teachers.
I know retirees who have roommates in and out of NYC. I know people who retire in a few years who have roommates as well.

That's the state of NYC, and to a lesser degree the country as a WHOLE!

The American Dream, if not dead for many, is certainly on life support!

With outsourcing, companies cutting benefits, various layoffs, plus population increases a big part of the country is not going to have the American dream where they buy a house, have a car, etc. As it is even in small towns in rural areas more and more people are renting or sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City