Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Know plenty about the healthcare field and nursing in particular. NYC hospitals at least those in Manhattan and or part of the major healthcare networks may have problems finding *experienced* nurses, but that is about far as it goes. There are plenty of new graduates and or recently licensed that cannot get NYC hospitals to even look at them twice.

That being said all hospitals/healthcare systems in the NYC area including Long Island and Westchester face the same problems. Finding quality employees willing to work at wages offered. Indeed just last week the head of NS-LIJ was on some news segment that focused on recent LI college graduates leaving the area. They are leaving because of the high cost of living in relation to jobs when they can find. OTOH the head of NS-LIJ stated they have a hard time filling positions because persons want/need more in wages than the system can pay.
Exactly, and if they have to tap that pool of recent graduates they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I wonder if there are stats on this.
but... is it really up for debate?

I mean shared housing in NYC is the premise of "Friends"

Pretty much everyone I know in NYC lived with roommates at one point, and many still do. One of my roommates once had a secret roommate, who seemed like she was just her friend who hung out all the time but really had no other place to live! I've not lived anywhere else where that kind of **** happens.

She was a Homeless Heidi:

[vimeo]53044579[/vimeo]
[vimeo]53044579[/vimeo]
High Maintenance // Heidi on Vimeo
Same here, but when I was younger. As Carib said, mature adults don't live that way. We raise families and maintain our own homes, either bought or rented. I'd love to see numbers but I highly doubt that a large percentage of established families in this city require "borders" or subsidies to live.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
...and considering rent stabilized apartments are those under $2500, a sizable percentage of the outer boroughs are in rent stabilized housing.
All apartments under $2500 are not stabilized. Before purchasing my home I lived in 3 legal apartments, none of which approached that number, NONE were stabilized or under any other government program.

Me thinks you don't know as much about housing in NYC as you think you do. Just because YOU couldn't afford to live here, most people are not in your boat. Whole swaths of "uncool" Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens are filled with single-family, owner occupied, well-kept and maintained homes. This isn't a myth.

You always say "I know this..." and "I know that..." before positing some all-inclusive theory. I think you just know a lot of poor people who can't take care of themselves and their families. Not all of NYC is like this, although far too many are.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Jeezuz Loueezus, writerdude. Look man, I've had hard times financially and may again one day for all that I know. So I understand where you are coming from. But FFS man, you have to give it a rest with the "everybody in nyc lives with roomates, borders, etc..." talk. I understand that you're trying to justify having to do so for yourself, but that is simply not true. I think what is deluding you a little is that you're not realizing that this city is way bigger than manhattan and the hip parts of brooklyn and queens. I know that you think everybody secretly wants to live in and be involved in that world, as you've literally said on here countless times. But that is simply not true either. Far from it. Yet I know you're still gonna spout off about that in the future.

Also, did I see you claim a couple pages back that folks making a 75K salary can't afford to live on their own? Please tell me I read that wrong...

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
All apartments under $2500 are not stabilized. Before purchasing my home I lived in 3 legal apartments, none of which approached that number, NONE were stabilized or under any other government program.

Me thinks you don't know as much about housing in NYC as you think you do. Just because YOU couldn't afford to live here, most people are not in your boat. Whole swaths of "uncool" Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens are filled with single-family, owner occupied, well-kept and maintained homes. This isn't a myth.

You always say "I know this..." and "I know that..." before positing some all-inclusive theory. I think you just know a lot of poor people who can't take care of themselves and their families. Not all of NYC is like this, although far too many are.
Dude, I AM IN NYC. I came back and I have been back for a AWHILE. I am affording it JUST FINE.

Oh, and this from a person who is always whining about how much he hates NYC and is going to move to some right wing fantasy land.

Much of Queens is full of immigrants and they converted many single family homes into multi family units. And yes, apartments in NYC under $2500 are covered by rent regulations. You just never bothered to get into the legal specifics. I know this hurts the middle class pretensions of you and some others, but who really cares?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Jeezuz Loueezus, writerdude. Look man, I've had hard times financially and may again one day for all that I know. So I understand where you are coming from. But FFS man, you have to give it a rest with the "everybody in nyc lives with roomates, borders, etc..." talk. I understand that you're trying to justify having to do so for yourself, but that is simply not true. I think what is deluding you a little is that you're not realizing that this city is way bigger than manhattan and the hip parts of brooklyn and queens. I know that you think everybody secretly wants to live in and be involved in that world, as you've literally said on here countless times. But that is simply not true either. Far from it. Yet I know you're still gonna spout off about that in the future.

Also, did I see you claim a couple pages back that folks making a 75K salary can't afford to live on their own? Please tell me I read that wrong...
Dude, most of NYC is working class and poor and who said anything about Manhattan? Queens, yes where I was born is FULL of IMMIGRANTS. Half the city is foreign born! How do you think they are living?

There's actually plenty of literature online on how huge percentages of the immigrant population live in NYC. I can give you a hint, it's generally overcrowded housing. I can also give you a hint, most are not doctors or other professionals.

Added to this, New York has always had plenty of native born citizens who also are poor and who live with family or in subsidized housing. Look at all of the threads on this forum you chose to ignore asking about this government program or this subsidized housing. Clearly much of New York is benefiting from this. There is no way around this. Welfare programs are not rare in NYC (clearly you've never been to the Bronx or Brooklyn if you think that, or upper Manhattan or the LES or the projects and subsidized apartments in Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Lower East Side). Roommates are not rare in NYC, even in the outer boroughs (extremely common in neighborhoods with lots of immigrants, poor people, and hipsters). People living with family or extended family also isn't rare in NYC.

On this thread, apparently low wage workers in retail, hospitality, and other low paying jobs (that aren't enough to ever rent a proper apartment on their own) don't exist. Well, the reality is that they do exist, despite the fact they offend some people with right wing sensibilities.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Oh, and this from a person who is always whining about how much he hates NYC and is going to move to some right wing fantasy land.
Except my reasons for leaving don't involve affordability.

Quote:
And yes, apartments in NYC under $2500 are covered by rent regulations. You just never bothered to get into the legal specifics. I know this hurts the middle class pretensions of you and some others, but who really cares?
And again, WRONG. All sub-$2500 apartments are not covered under these programs. There are thousands upon thousands of owner-occupied legal mother-daughter type apartments in this city which do not fall under government programs.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Dude, most of NYC is working class and poor and who said anything about Manhattan? Queens, yes where I was born is FULL of IMMIGRANTS. Half the city is foreign born! How do you think they are living?

There's actually plenty of literature online on how huge percentages of the immigrant population live in NYC. I can give you a hint, it's generally overcrowded housing. I can also give you a hint, most are not doctors or other professionals.

Added to this, New York has always had plenty of native born citizens who also are poor and who live with family or in subsidized housing. Look at all of the threads on this forum you chose to ignore asking about this government program or this subsidized housing. Clearly much of New York is benefiting from this. There is no way around this. Welfare programs are not rare in NYC (clearly you've never been to the Bronx or Brooklyn if you think that, or upper Manhattan or the LES or the projects and subsidized apartments in Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Lower East Side). Roommates are not rare in NYC, even in the outer boroughs (extremely common in neighborhoods with lots of immigrants, poor people, and hipsters). People living with family or extended family also isn't rare in NYC.

On this thread, apparently low wage workers in retail, hospitality, and other low paying jobs (that aren't enough to ever rent a proper apartment on their own) don't exist. Well, the reality is that they do exist, despite the fact they offend some people with right wing sensibilities.

Honestly bro, when you say the following that I'm gonna paste...I can't take anything you say seriously. Sorry buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York City hospitals do have problems do often find they have problems with nursing staff finding affordable housing. Mind you RN wages are not too shabby here; new grads can start out at $73K to nearly $81k, with experienced nurses able to pull nearly $100k or more with overtime and perhaps some traveling.
Quote:
With those wages people can easily find housing anywhere in the city. They will just be living with other people.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Exactly, and if they have to tap that pool of recent graduates they will.

Not really more like if their backs are up against the wall more like.

NYC hospitals are hiring newly licensed nurses but in limited number and mostly if not exclusively those with year degrees (BSN).

Thing about NYC is that wages for experienced nurses are good, very good when compared to much of the USA excluding such places as California. Thus hospitals here can and do make use of "travelers" who are nurses brought in contractually for a given period. This period can range from a few weeks to several months.

Also as with so many other professions and careers there is no shortage of persons willing or wanting to move to NYC. At least the top NYC hospitals can and do recruit experienced nurses from all over the USA. Then there are the ones that for personal or other reasons pack up and move here on their own.

Right now it is a very bad time to be a new graduate RN, especially with an associates degree. It has been that way to some extent going back to the financial crises/meltdown and economic recession started in 2008. Added onto all that you had the closings of at least fourteen hospitals in the past twenty years with at least six or more in the past ten. Many newly licensed nurses are actually moving to upstate or out of state in order to find work.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Except my reasons for leaving don't involve affordability.

And again, WRONG. All sub-$2500 apartments are not covered under these programs. There are thousands upon thousands of owner-occupied legal mother-daughter type apartments in this city which do not fall under government programs.
As you told me, being a cop sucks and you hate it so you want to leave the city. You are unhappy with your line of work and what you see on the job, according to you! I do not know how those reasons are better, or why you get hysterical at the mention of poverty among a huge section of the city, including immigrants, minorities, the elderly, etc. Many old people in the city do not have pensions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City