Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
No one held a gun to your head and forced you to accept that job as a city worker. Maybe you should take your intellect and go find a city job in another city? Rinsing the city of miserable schmucks like you will be one step in the right direction.
Rich vs poor, black vs white, Catholic vs Protestant or most importantly Jewish , gentry liberal vs progressive populist vs fiscal conservative vs democrate, native vs migrant vs immigrants, culture vs subculture, urbanite vs suburbanite. NYC will always be a miserable city and never a harmonious city due to cheer number of factions and isms that people follow to their heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:09 PM

118 posts, read 160,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Excuse me? Staten Island is not full of "poor neighborhoods" pal.

As for NJ you do realize that is another state and not everyone can or wishes to move across the river.
I never said Staten Island is poor. Staten Island has one of the lowest poverty rates and is considered upper-middle class. I meant poor neighborhoods in New York in general.

And who cares New Jersey is another state? How will that impact their life? Many of those New Jersey areas are closer to their "rich bosses" in Manhattan than wherever it is they live. People without significant means aren't (or shouldn't) be in any position to be picky.

Last edited by Louis XVI; 07-07-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
There's no God-given right to live in Pierre, South Dakota, either. But it's typical of Bloomberg's insensitivity and situational blindness not to acknowledge that a certain amount of affordability is key to having a working city.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM

432 posts, read 552,026 times
Quote:
People without significant means aren't (or shouldn't) be in any position to be picky.

My sentiments exactly!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
There is plenty of "affordable" housing within the city limits right now. It's just not in Manhattan south of E 96th Street or West 110th St.
The problem is that the affordable areas are infested with Section 8 and hood rats. People would rather endure 2 hour commutes than be crammed in with hood rats.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
gee, didn't anybody realize that diversity isn't all about ethnicity, race, sexual orientation. it is also very, very much about socio-economic classes. New York City was never so great as that era of its true rise to world fame (circa 1920) to arguably the end of the 1960's. At such a time, it may have well been the greatest city the world has ever known.

again, that very diversity that allows artists and novelists and other creative types to ply their trade, even though many do not make big bucks.

I have to admit that this was a hard thread to read through. There were some very compassionate and inclusive and fair people. There were also plenty who were virtually heartless and soulless and that seems to be the type of New York they wish: a city without heart or soul.

Do you folks even realize that this type of discussion of should NYC be the home of only those who are very rich is the result of living in nation that once was the poster child for upward social mobility, a thriving middle class, and one of the lowest rates of income inequality in the world. hence that old American dream.

only in this current insane era where the top of the food chain is the only ones that matter and everybody else is subservient to them could a conversation like this so comfortably be happening.

At one time, finance occupied about 7% of our economy and was there there to match capital with those who needed to use it to enrich their lives and,in the process, make lives better for everybody. today that sector of the economy is at some 37% (last I checked) and NYC is the center of it. And what do these people contribute? very little: money shifts from one wealthy person to another and that is where the profit is made. Shifting money. No real contribution to society.

I hope those of you who view themselves as "exclusive" love this New York and may they continue to love as it grows taller, denser, more luxurious, more sterile, more corporate, less human.

No nation ever survived when all people were out for themselves and nobody cared about the commons or gave any concern the least of us.

And for those who love those oil companies and love their "contributions", hope you enjoy continuously rising sea levels around New York and more storms like Sandy because these carbon sprouting monsters are destroying our climate and environment. Not such a good thing for a coastal city.

New York, as noted IMHO, was once the greatest city in the world. Part of what made New York so great was that Detroit was such a great city. White collar New York never did so well as when blue collar Detroit was pumping endless dollars into the US economy. No longer the case…those jobs have been exported overseas. America is a struggling land, one many of us see in sharp decline (although you would never know it in the rarified air of the top 5%).

The rich as much as anyone else lose when the diversity of income is not part of the city mix. Although they hardly are going to recognize it. That still very real and very veried NYC, circa 1950, a golden era, was a greater city than New York today (a statement that could be made about any number of US cities)

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Louis XVI + Edubz = Same User

Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Louis XVI + Edubz = Same User
Nice try, but no. Do try to contain your obsession of me, will you?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Nice try, but no. Do try to contain your obsession of me, will you?
how am i obsessed with you, weirdo??

Old 07-07-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
how am i obsessed with you, weirdo??
I'm pretty sure you've accused me of being someone else prior to this. I think it's time you get over it hon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City