Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM

94 posts, read 216,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeb View Post
Sadly, I am out of the running. I got an email today stating my credit was conditionally approved and I would need a guarantor. Something is very wrong, because my husband and I paid off a mortgage last year early and never late on any payments. No debt. Our credit was approved for Q41 at Queensboro last year, so this makes no sense. Of course, I will do what I can but frankly, I'm done with affordable housing. Good luck to all still in the race!
Had the same thing happen to me. I have good credit but the company they use for the credit screenings is a scam (safe rent). They have some kind of computer software that calculates your "rent" score from your credit report, which seems to be completely arbitrary and they will not give you an explanation as to why you received a low score. In fact, their employees don't even know know what the "score" is based on. The company itself will keep you on hold for 1 hour and you will be speaking to the most useless people ever. I had a FICO score of around 710-720 and safe rent sent them a score of 560. The company itself has a terrible reputation (look online) and somehow they got a contract with the government so HPS is forbidden from using any other type of credit screening (ironically the owner of this company used to work for the government).

I wouldn't bother arguing it with them, as I have spent much of my time doing that and got nothing out of it.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:44 PM

15 posts, read 30,525 times
Quote:
Sadly, I am out of the running. I got an email today stating my credit was conditionally approved and I would need a guarantor. Something is very wrong, because my husband and I paid off a mortgage last year early and never late on any payments. No debt. Our credit was approved for Q41 at Queensboro last year, so this makes no sense. Of course, I will do what I can but frankly, I'm done with affordable housing. Good luck to all still in the race!
I got the same email! I am going to respond asking for more info as my credit is the mid-700s and our only debt is student loans. Have other people gotten this email? Sadly none of our parents qualify to guarantee (middle class, right? geez). Earlier on this thread, someone said they were getting false-declines: could this be the same thing? Did other people get this email?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:12 PM

63 posts, read 110,615 times
Quote:
How did they already get your paperwork done? I went in for the interview the day before you got the email and I still have more documents to send. Then they have to go through the verification process. They send letters to your current and past landlords, to the banks, even to the school to check if you are really living at the address (I have CB@ preference) I had to notarize a set of affidavits they asked for. I mean A LOT of paper work. How is it that they already told you you need a guarantor? I'm confused.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 30,525 times
The leasing rep told me to call the company doing the credit check, and after an hour on hold, went thru all my things and only found one late payment, which was caused by a computer error and rectified. They said they use a "rental score" instead of "credit score" and if they feel with your income minus debt that you cannot pay the rent, they can deny. The credit company pretty much said it's up to the leasing agent. I'm at a loss here. I don't know how much if any I can argue this.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM

292 posts, read 703,301 times
What about if your loans are deferred? My loans are deferred but now I'm getting worried. That's my only debt and my my son daycare fee.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:34 PM

I've been calling my coordinator for the whole day; she didn't didn't pick up. This waiting sucks.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 12,148 times
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post, but I've been following the thread for some time. Thank you to everyone who has contributed and kept all of us hopeful applicants informed.

I received an email requesting documents on April 2nd. We were ecstatic for the opportunity, especially since our log # was in the mid 60,000's (with disability preference, for middle income) and had honestly given up hope. We promptly sent in all required documents and received a phone call the following week from our representative asking for some additional paperwork, which we supplied within 24 hours.

Today, we received a rejection letter stating that we had not supplied all the necessary documents. Obviously, we're appealing, but we're really disappointed and frustrated. If anyone else has experienced a similar situation, we would love to here if you were able to resolve it. BTW, Nyalltheway, if your coordinator is Lisa, she is away from the office until 4/15. Sent her an email today and received an out of office reply.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edl1572 View Post
Hey Everyone,
This is my first post, but I've been following the thread for some time. Thank you to everyone who has contributed and kept all of us hopeful applicants informed.

I received an email requesting documents on April 2nd. We were ecstatic for the opportunity, especially since our log # was in the mid 60,000's (with disability preference, for middle income) and had honestly given up hope. We promptly sent in all required documents and received a phone call the following week from our representative asking for some additional paperwork, which we supplied within 24 hours.

Today, we received a rejection letter stating that we had not supplied all the necessary documents. Obviously, we're appealing, but we're really disappointed and frustrated. If anyone else has experienced a similar situation, we would love to here if you were able to resolve it. BTW, Nyalltheway, if your coordinator is Lisa, she is away from the office until 4/15. Sent her an email today and received an out of office reply.
Hey Edl1572,
Sorry to hear that and I hope you are successful in your appeal. I find it a bit premature for them to send a rejection so early especially since you provided all your documents. I hope to hear from others about their appeal process as well. For some reason, I kinda lost hope because I have student loans (all deferred, never defaulted). Once I start paying them back, I will select an income repayment plan. But I have a feeling my situation will work against me. My coordinator is actually someone else, her initials are TC. Maybe she is on vacay, too, who knows. At this point, I think i got overly excited and I wish I never did. Oh well...

Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,148 times
Thank you Nyalltheway. I agree that it feels premature. I don't even think they've had a chance to review my documents, especially since my coordinator seems to be away. I'll keep the board posted. Best of luck with your process. I think it would be a bit unfair of them to base their decision on future debt payments. Hopefully it will all work out.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edl1572 View Post
Thank you Nyalltheway. I agree that it feels premature. I don't even think they've had a chance to review my documents, especially since my coordinator seems to be away. I'll keep the board posted. Best of luck with your process. I think it would be a bit unfair of them to base their decision on future debt payments. Hopefully it will all work out.
No problem. That's unfair, tho. Hopefully, you will receive clarification when she returns. I will keep you and everyone else posted, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery