Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM

355 posts, read 390,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I 100% guarantee you that they came into money. Inheritance or some other way. Long Island is filled with x Brooklyn people who were priced out. Look at Windsor terrace and Park Slope. Read Dennis Hamill's articles in the Daily News about whats happen in those areas. Go look at Belle Harbor and Neponsit pre and after Sandy? 800-over a million for homes. That's not middle class. A big middle class area in Queens Middle Village. What do you think is the cost of homes attached on both sides??????
Sorry wrote on the wrong post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:57 PM

335 posts, read 424,250 times
In March, I moved from NYC to the New Orleans area, in Metairie a suburb of NO. I am most thankful for the affordable houses here. I am looking to buy a 2000 sq ft, 3 bedroom house for under 200k, something I could not dream of in NYC. There is a lot of culture in New Orleans, although not as much as in NYC. Another thing I love is milder weather. No polar vortex here. The things that I don't like New Orleans are the lack of public transportation and the insects. In addition, I am Asian, and there aren't as much Asian stores here as in NYC. There are mostly Vietnamese here.

But, as an Asian, I stayed in NYC for the Asian culture despite the high prices. But, I reached a boiling point, and decided that I didn't need the Asian culture at such unaffordable housing prices.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
In March, I moved from NYC to the New Orleans area, in Metairie a suburb of NO. I am most thankful for the affordable houses here. I am looking to buy a 2000 sq ft, 3 bedroom house for under 200k, something I could not dream of in NYC. There is a lot of culture in New Orleans, although not as much as in NYC. Another thing I love is milder weather. No polar vortex here. The things that I don't like New Orleans are the lack of public transportation and the insects. In addition, I am Asian, and there aren't as much Asian stores here as in NYC. There are mostly Vietnamese here.

But, as an Asian, I stayed in NYC for the Asian culture despite the high prices. But, I reached a boiling point, and decided that I didn't need the Asian culture at such unaffordable housing prices.
I I visited Nola last year. I really liked the city. I also checked out metaire also. It was very suburban but affordable. I checked out a 3 bedroom and 1 and a half bathroom on rampart Street for 135k. The Broker had told me plenty of New Yorkers are moving down and buying cheap property. He mentioned when they build the light rail car line pass rampart Street the value of the house would double by the end of the decade. They are trying real hard to gentrify the city. New Orleans has to plenty of great history and culture especially culinary. Big problem with Nola is transportation. Not much highways and poor public transit options. Also local government bureaucracy is very corrupt.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
X2, I knew we would agree eventually!!!

Your right in terms of people inheriting homes from parents. I know 3 people specifically in Whitestone in that criteria. They all said if I didn't get a "Great" price from mommy and dad then we could never afford to buy a home here. That goes back the thread title. In 2014 it's very hard for that middle class couple to purchase a home.
I agree middle class people these days in the city often have parental help, inheritances, or perhaps they just stayed home with their families (wherever they lived in NYC) and saved up money for years and bought a house that way.

If all you make is 50k a year in the current NYC, you don't have the best rental options (you'll get something in the hood and who wants that). All people have to say is that it's hard for them to rent or buy in a decent areas these days in metro NYC. I sympathize.

But some people come up with the most absurd justifications for why they are miserable in the city, instead of just stating the obvious.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:51 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Me personally I don't hate the city, but at the same time I don't really love it either! I want to leave NYC but at the moment my family needs me, until that's met I'm out of here. I love to be close to my job in Midtown. Living in the inner-city is not cheap anymore and the term inner-city lost much of its negativity in recent years. I do want out of NYC especially as one gets older and wiser.

All I want is my own own home, a car, a wife, kids, a great job and the most important good health. All of that for me is not feasible in nyc. And I'm not asking for much. All I know is that as I get older my priorities and perspective of life changes. Beyond that I just hope the Knicks can win an NBA championship before I ever leave!
All I can say is if you're set on moving elsewhere and establishing yourself elsewhere (job, kids, home) don't wait too long. It won't get easier when as you get older. Family or no family, at a certain point you've got to break away and have your dreams and your own life. You don't want to let yourself become an old man and then it really will be too late to move away and have a meaningful life (wife, house, etc).

Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All I can say is if you're set on moving elsewhere and establishing yourself elsewhere (job, kids, home) don't wait too long. It won't get easier when as you get older. Family or no family, at a certain point you've got to break away and have your dreams and your own life. You don't want to let yourself become an old man and then it really will be too late to move away and have a meaningful life (wife, house, etc).
It's gonna be very soon. A couple of weeks ago I was in Arizona. By the beginning of December I will be in the Carolinas again.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 PM

66 posts, read 84,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Speaking as a former Manhattan dweller and worker for over two decades, I left the city two years ago and haven't regretted leaving for a minute. Living in the city is hard, everything....from finding a quiet place to live, making friends, paying for expensive dry cleaning, etc., and a hassle. Even if one makes good money, who wants to pay $16 for a bar drink?

That being said, there is no place better in the country to establish a professional career, in some fields, so the daily aggravations were a tradeoff we were willing to make. Those born in the city don't know civilized people actually live elsewhere in the country and accept the crap for a lifetime because they don't know any better. The rest of us earn our place in the rat race, stay for a while, and happily leave when our goals are accomplished.
Nothing more amusing than a scorned (read: priced out) Manhattanite of the past.

Let's be honest -- you left Manhattan because you couldn't afford it. Civilized and civilization? LOL, coming from someone who lives in the middle of nowhere. Au contraire, the island may well be the capital of civilization. If you weren't aware, Manhattan is the world's capital of wealth. The world's capital of billionaires, fine restaurants, the most esteemed chefs and it is the world's largest consumer of fine arts. Manhattan has some of the most valuable real estate in the world, for a reason. It's simply a very desirable place but unfortunately, not everyone does well enough to live such a lifestyle in one of the most iconic cities in the world. There is obviously a reason why the smallest apartments in Manhattan are more costly than the grandest estates in Austin. Wake me up when the wealth of the world would trade Manhattan for Austin. When pigs fly.

The winners in life couldn't pinpoint Austin on a map if they were held at gunpoint. Do they even have museums down there? What exactly do you eat? You poor thing.

Last edited by London Lawyer; 11-14-2014 at 12:08 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
You don't know what you are talking about. I'm not interested in correcting your assumptions, LL.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:48 AM

307 posts, read 637,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawyer View Post
Nothing more amusing than a scorned (read: priced out) Manhattanite of the past.

Let's be honest -- you left Manhattan because you couldn't afford it. Civilized and civilization? LOL, coming from someone who lives in the middle of nowhere. Au contraire, the island may well be the capital of civilization. If you weren't aware, Manhattan is the world's capital of wealth. The world's capital of billionaires, fine restaurants, the most esteemed chefs and it is the world's largest consumer of fine arts. Manhattan has some of the most valuable real estate in the world, for a reason. It's simply a very desirable place but unfortunately, not everyone does well enough to live such a lifestyle in one of the most iconic cities in the world. There is obviously a reason why the smallest apartments in Manhattan are more costly than the grandest estates in Austin. Wake me up when the wealth of the world would trade Manhattan for Austin. When pigs fly.

The winners in life couldn't pinpoint Austin on a map if they were held at gunpoint. Do they even have museums down there? What exactly do you eat? You poor thing.

...And then there's those people who make plenty of $ and just grow sick and tired of NYC life. At the opposite end of the "NYC sucks and that's why I left" spectrum, are the people who assume EVERYONE who leaves does so for financial reasons (which is an equally stupid and egocentric stance). I would bet that a good amount of people that leave NYC life do so neither because they hate it, nor because they can't afford it. Maybe they just got tired of it and wanted a nice big quiet back yard.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 AM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I'm leaving next year. I make a good living but factor in the taxes, fees, TOLLS, catholic $chool tuitions, communist mayor and very long commuting times, we have decided to relocate to North Carolina. I have lived here all of my 48 years on this earth and I will miss it here, but what I really miss is long gone like some of the posters in that article stated.
All I'll say is to be careful where you are moving to in North Carolina. Many of the low income individuals being priced out of NYC and elsewhere are moving South, bringing certain problems with them. I have family in NC, and they constantly complain about the influx of gangs, drug dealing, and a certain "shove it in your face" attitude that has accompanied certain populations that have been priced out of cities/states elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City