Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Who ever taught you - taught you wrong. First gen immigrants live out their lives with the customs they know from the "old country," trying to make a place for themselves - not fit in - to the new country. It is the second and more importantly the third generations that blend as well as they can.

If you don't like being in the same neighborhood with them, then it is time for you to move - because I guarantee,m they aren't going anywhere soon.
You know it is not all that cut and dried. My wife's grandmother was first generation and about as American as she could be. Only thing about her was very limited English. She ran a restaurant in Throgs Neck for 40 years and was loved by Italian and non. Grandpa however loved the old country. Always wanted to go back. Kids fixed him. After Grandma died they sent him back. And then refused to let him return to the States when he found out it was not all as he remembered. Poetic.

The Second generation was also split. Wife's mother, while born in the States grew up and was educated in Italy. She was an American but had a bit of the old country in her. Really disliked certain American things...like me on occasion. In anger at one point she offered that the only good thing about me, (at that point a mildly southern American of Irish extraction) was that I was not Black.

The third generation...my wife and her cousins all vanished off into the American main stream. Only one of a dozen cousins could speak fluent Italian. My wife, who spoke it exclusively as a toddler could only limitedly understand it.

Our family home was in the Bronx at 240th east of Broadway. We bought it in 1960 and finally sold it after my mother died in 2010. In 1960 the neighborhood was quite Irish with a smattering of Jews and Hispanics. By 2010 it was pretty much Dominican. The neighborhood never deteriorated. It just changed and the language in the stores went to Spanish. But it remained civil and reasonably safe. In fact my mother relied on a Greek neighbor and the Dominican super at a nearby apartment house for many things.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You know it is not all that cut and dried. My wife's grandmother was first generation and about as American as she could be. Only thing about her was very limited English. She ran a restaurant in Throgs Neck for 40 years and was loved by Italian and non. Grandpa however loved the old country. Always wanted to go back. Kids fixed him. After Grandma died they sent him back. And then refused to let him return to the States when he found out it was not all as he remembered. Poetic.

The Second generation was also split. Wife's mother, while born in the States grew up and was educated in Italy. She was an American but had a bit of the old country in her. Really disliked certain American things...like me on occasion. In anger at one point she offered that the only good thing about me, (at that point a mildly southern American of Irish extraction) was that I was not Black.

The third generation...my wife and her cousins all vanished off into the American main stream. Only one of a dozen cousins could speak fluent Italian. My wife, who spoke it exclusively as a toddler could only limitedly understand it.

Our family home was in the Bronx at 240th east of Broadway. We bought it in 1960 and finally sold it after my mother died in 2010. In 1960 the neighborhood was quite Irish with a smattering of Jews and Hispanics. By 2010 it was pretty much Dominican. The neighborhood never deteriorated. It just changed and the language in the stores went to Spanish. But it remained civil and reasonably safe. In fact my mother relied on a Greek neighbor and the Dominican super at a nearby apartment house for many things.
I am speaking of large groups in general. You are speaking of specific persons. There are always some individuals who don't fit a pattern, but that does not mean the pattern is false.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-29-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am speaking of groups in general. You are speaking of a specific person. There are always some individuals who don't fit a pattern, but that does not mean the pattern is false.
Not really. I am speaking as an outsider with good insight into q large and complex Italian family. I am truncating the story to a single wing for narrative purposes. But there is the Fathers side and his eight brothers and how that all worked and then the people by marriage.

I merely point out it likely predicts what will happen in turn with the Dominicans.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
When I was growing up I was taught by teachers that NYC was a melting pot. People came here from other countries, enjoyed learning in our free public schools, contributed their skills and talents, and became a part of the American fabric. All I see now are Dominicans who come here, remain isolated in their Dominican social lives, take over apartment buildings and discriminate against non-Dominicans in renting, REFUSE to learn English and still are allowed to open businesses (to cater to their own countrymen). They are not immigrants in the American way. They come to keep their language and customs and take, take, take U.S. benefits. I was born and raised in the Morrisania area of the Bronx. I left for years while in the military. I come back to the Dominican Republic and overcrowding. If the D.R. is that bad...sorry. I can see why with the attitudes of this group. Come here and contribute. Learn English. Don't come here to take over our neighborhoods and supermarkets, stuff into our public transportation and oh yeah think you're better than American born citizens. Mexicans don't do this. They come and contribute and work hard IMO. Trump should build a wall between NYC and the Dominican Republic. What the Hell!

Oh be quiet you cry baby. We are not going anywhere. So more drug dealing, loud music, and loitering comng to a building near you.

You must be butt hurt Puerto Rican. Always hating right coquito?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Areas that were really bad in the 80's are now pretty stable in the Bronx. High bridge is a lot nicer then it used to be. I give credit to the Dominicans for that. I'm Puerto Rican and have to give them their due.
Thank you. It is appreciated. A lot of Puerto Ricans seem to harbor this hate against Dominicans for no apparent reason.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 PM

184 posts, read 235,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Thank you. It is appreciated. A lot of Puerto Ricans seem to harbor this hate against Dominicans for no apparent reason.
Believe it or not, its mainly cuz of jealousy/envy (not all obviously, but a sizable amount) . The Dominican Republic is an independent country with a adequate economy, although its not the best country in the world, its slowly getting better, compared to Puerto Rico, a deteriorating modern-day United States colony. Its US mainland diaspora has better work ethic, compared to US Puerto Ricans, who have much higher poverty and incarnation rates. Although, Ricans and Dominicans are both largely made up of the same exact ancestry and culture, Dominicans are slightly more African, which is very favorite amongst many US Puerto Ricans. Sometimes its usually the groups that are the most alike that have the biggest rivalries/tension. However, I would say despite the soft rivalry and envy SOME members of both groups have for each other, there is no tension , they mostly get along.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Believe it or not, its mainly cuz of jealousy/envy (not all obviously, but a sizable amount) . The Dominican Republic is an independent country with a adequate economy, although its not the best country in the world, its slowly getting better, compared to Puerto Rico, a deteriorating modern-day United States colony. Its US mainland diaspora has better work ethic, compared to US Puerto Ricans, who have much higher poverty and incarnation rates. Although, Ricans and Dominicans are both largely made up of the same exact ancestry and culture, Dominicans are slightly more African, which is very favorite amongst many US Puerto Ricans. Sometimes its usually the groups that are the most alike that have the biggest rivalries/tension. However, I would say despite the soft rivalry and envy SOME members of both groups have for each other, there is no tension , they mostly get along.
I don't get why the Puerto Ricans don't vote for independence.

As for the poverty and incarceration rates on Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, do you have definitive data from a legitimate source to support this assertion?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Oh be quiet you cry baby. We are not going anywhere. So more drug dealing, loud music, and loitering comng to a building near you.

You must be butt hurt Puerto Rican. Always hating right coquito?
I love the music my Dominican neighbors play. Love Dominican food too.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't get why the Puerto Ricans don't vote for independence.

As for the poverty and incarceration rates on Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, do you have definitive data from a legitimate source to support this assertion?
I don't think any form of government records anything more specific than "Hispanic" when it comes to that.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:19 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
From what I recall, the reason Puerto Ricans didnt like Dominicans was in the past Dominicans passed themselves of as Puerto Ricans often in PR and on the mainland. No doubt tbey had a reason but from what I have heard that was the root cause. But again its a soft rivalry. Too much intermarriage and cooperation to indicate any real problems. As far as the economy and such I will just say Puerto Rico is part of the US and those on the Island have always been Americans. Asking them to becomhttp://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Mike_Bloomberg_Gun_Control.htme Independent means to reject part of their own identity. The pro independence party hasnt been relevant since the early 1980s. ' As a Puerto Rican with a great work ethic, with a family of hard workers, Dominians are not more industrious then any one else, every first generation migrant community works harder because they have to. Are Jamaicans more hard working then Afro Americans ? I dont think so. I meant to say above those on the Island have been Americans in their lifetime, have known no other citizenship and national identity for them has been Puerto Rican and US. Why leave the US instead of improving the situation, we love the US as much as any other Americans.

Last edited by bxlover; 08-30-2016 at 05:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City