Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yes, I thought this was the whole point for proliferating charter schools in the first place - so that qualified minorities of color don't have to settle for ghetto schools and hence receive a "fair chance" in aiming for future academic opportunities. What gives with the NAACP now?
Probably because they realized that any fixes that have to do with merit won't work. The racial education achievement gap isn't just this one test to get into specialized high schools. On average it's impossible for blacks and Hispanics to do better than whites or Asians on this single test when they don't do as well in every other test up to that point in their lives. The demographics of those schools are representative of not only the result of this one test but all tests.

Also even if their efforts fail it doesn't hurt to make some noise. Somewhere out there a college administrator will pick this up and cut some black or Hispanic kid some slack. As they say the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:22 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
The worst it will be???? You really can't make the irony up. Lolololol
Calm down. It's called a typo.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM

151 posts, read 154,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Calm down. It's called a typo.

I'm sure.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
More reason to chase the middle class out of the city. No matter what race you are.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
More reason to chase the middle class out of the city. No matter what race you are.
Yep, it's bad enough that unzoning destroyed all the non-specialized schools, if the NAACP ever gets their way the gems of the city will also be destroyed. That would definitely do it for me, I'll be taking my duo six figure incomes outta here cause I can't afford private school. Feel sorry for the Chinese food delivery guy whose kids will get quota out over the kids of some middle class and up black or Hispanic family.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLove1 View Post
I say we lower the height of the basketball hoop to allow for more Asians in the NBA.
quite possibly the best forum reply in the history of the world

Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's not the responsibility of the city's school system to educate your kid. The school systems are there to assist *you* with your child in his or her education. As a parent, you're supposed to read to your child, discipline your child to stay home on school nights, help him or her do his/her homework, and to understand and help your child with everything that your child has been assigned at school.

If as a parent, you have an, "I don't give a sh*t" attitude, it'll show up on your child's standardized test scores - period, end of story.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Yeah I don't agree with this, but don't like the condescending attitude I see from some posters.

AIso, I'm pretty sure it's not like every HS that isn't Stuyvesant level is bad.

bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Exactly and it comes as no surprise. The more the standards are lowered, the worst it will be.
The worse it will be.
Confusing worst with worse is common amongst those with low standards of grammar. Trying to pass it off as a typo is like those who confuse advice and advise, or then and than, and then try to claim that's a typo also.

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's not the responsibility of the city's school system to educate your kid. The school systems are there to assist *you* with your child in his or her education. As a parent, you're supposed to read to your child, discipline your child to stay home on school nights, help him or her do his/her homework, and to understand and help your child with everything that your child has been assigned at school.

If as a parent, you have an, "I don't give a sh*t" attitude, it'll show up on your child's standardized test scores - period, end of story.
From having kids in the public system, I can tell you with 100% certainty that what separates good schools from bad schools is the level of parent involvement and child preparation. Even in schools with bad teachers, when parents are involved they make sure those teachers get replaced. It's the kids who show up expecting they can do whatever they want that ruin it for all the other kids in the class by distracting and sucking up attention. Some parents never bother reading to their kids or explaining everything to them. Instead of a couple hours a week of sesame street it's 50 hours a week of Dora the brain dead retard or yo gabba "please teach me ADD" gabba . When the parents are responsible and involved, they hold everyone accountable at every level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City