Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes I speak and write Tagalog. Give me a try.
You speak two languages. Impressive. Give me a call when you can speak four as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Yes I speak and write Tagalog. Give me a try.

Turuan mo siya ng leksyon.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:26 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Turuan mo siya ny leksyon.
I'll just make him eat dinuguan.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:29 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You speak two languages. Impressive. Give me a call when you can speak four as I do.
"as I do"

Yes - isn't the quality level the point? What is your number - I may already speak ten languages in the manner you do for all I know.

Anyway, thread derailed. Apologies to OP. Over & out.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
The worse it will be.
Confusing worst with worse is common amongst those with low standards of grammar. Trying to pass it off as a typo is like those who confuse advice and advise, or then and than, and then try to claim that's a typo also.
Nope. I am pretty well educated with a pretty good vocabulary but I am mildly dyslexic. So I continually screw up words that are similar or sound alike. Interestingly I know it and can find and correct them but I have to reread everything and I don't always.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 PM

602 posts, read 1,264,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Isn't Cornell known for flunking students in its engineering school, to the point that some students have committed suicide?
I don't know about Cornell specifically, but it definitely happens. That said, it takes a special group of students for at least *some* of them to get the hint and pull it together after the whole class fails the first test or two.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
quite possibly the best forum reply in the history of the world
Move the basket to 11 or 12 feet. Restore the game to its initial intent...and remove much of the advantage of the big man. I would however hazard a bet that it would still be dominated by Black men.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
I don't know about Cornell specifically, but it definitely happens. That said, it takes a special group of students for at least *some* of them to get the hint and pull it together after the whole class fails the first test or two.
All good engineering schools are collective efforts. The students are pretty well organized into groups by the end of the first semester and collectively work the process. Very helpful. And in an engineering school there are always a few students that are smarter than the given professor.

I don't have any significant experience in a liberal arts school but I doubt they organize as well as an engineering school.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Four in all the same language family, right? C'mon now, bruh. Probably even the same writing system. Don't call me when you can speak, read and write in four languages from four different language families. I don't really care that much.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Four in all the same language family, right? C'mon now, bruh. Probably even the same writing system. Don't call me when you can speak, read and write in four languages from four different language families. I don't really care that much.
Most Americans can't even speak English, let alone anything else. I'm partially of Euro descent, so it's common for us to speak several languages. I speak others as well, but not fluently, so I don't count them. ASL isn't in the same category or is it?

Quote:
"as I do"

Yes - isn't the quality level the point? What is your number - I may already speak ten languages in the manner you do for all I know.

Anyway, thread derailed. Apologies to OP. Over & out.
No no no! Don't apologize now. You've done a fine job of pointing out my fatal mistake. Unlike the NAACP, my skin is a bit thicker than most.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 03-23-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City