Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Another thing that needs to be considered - What will happen to these minority kids after they get admitted? Can they handle the academic workload in Stuyvesant or Bronx Science without any special accommodation?
The teachers would definitely adjust or would be faced with failing too many kids. Even in college I've had classes where after the majority of kids fail the first test the professor either starts curving or gives away much more clues on the questions for the next exam during review session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
The teachers would definitely adjust or would be faced with failing too many kids. Even in college I've had classes where after the majority of kids fail the first test the professor either starts curving or gives away much more clues on the questions for the next exam during review session.
That would be doing a disservice to those kids and will eventually catch up with the educational institution that erodes its standard in that way. Not everyone always gets a trophy, and sometimes no one gets one. Sometimes everyone deserves to fail. A proper method to deal with that would be more along the lines of increased instruction and providing access to tutors.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ok, just read the linked story, there isn't a lawsuit, rather a formal complaint has been filed with federal government.
Those complaints are filed first and if the NAACP is t satisfied with the resolution of the complaint, they'll sue. It's their standard method of operation and in all the other cases where they sued, they filed complaints with the Feds first.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/2...h-schools.html

The Times published an editorial on it.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
That would be doing a disservice to those kids and will eventually catch up with the educational institution that erodes its standard in that way. Not everyone always gets a trophy, and sometimes no one gets one. Sometimes everyone deserves to fail. A proper method to deal with that would be more along the lines of increased instruction and providing access to tutors.
I don't know the thought process that guides professors. I got the sense that faced with a situation where most kids fail the professor started targeting for an average grade of B-/C. I recall some of my hard science/math professors explicitly stating that a bell curve in grades is the norm and all the classes with elevated failure rates that I've taken were either math or hard science classes.

It's worth noting that the situation occurred in an 100 level class which many non-major kids took to fulfill a prereq or are just trying out the major so the prof was just cutting everyone some slack.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:55 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The worse it will be.
Confusing worst with worse is common amongst those with low standards of grammar. Trying to pass it off as a typo is like those who confuse advice and advise, or then and than, and then try to claim that's a typo also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
I'm sure.
Do either of you bozos speak any other languages besides English? I speak several. I'd like to see how well you write in several languages. I do just fine in English but thanks.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I went to two private universities and no professor would dare fail the whole class, as the university makes money of our tuition and alumni and family donations. Also the universities instantly after graduation hit alumni up for money, so they want to make sure students had a good experience. An individual who didn't do the work or who did it badly can be failed, but never the whole class.

This is also true of private schools k-12. Poor parents in public schools don't have this kind of leverage.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:17 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Pointing out someone's mistake is one thing but you just make yourself sound like a snob by then throwing a personal jab with "low standards of grammar."

By the way, since you are so into proper writing, I decided to look into your other post here and look what I immediately found:

You used "its" incorrectly since you meant to use "it's" as in "it is."

So maybe you don't have too high of a standard yourself?

It wasn't a personal jab. The "low standards of grammar" was a quip on the "standards are lowered" insult in the post of the poster I was quoting. But carry on. Next time I'll try to include CliffsNotes, even for such obvious things.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I went to two private universities and no professor would dare fail the whole class, as the university makes money of our tuition and alumni and family donations.

Isn't Cornell known for flunking students in its engineering school, to the point that some students have committed suicide?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Do either of you bozos speak any other languages besides English? I speak several. I'd like to see how well you write in several languages. I do just fine in English but thanks.
Yes I speak and write Tagalog. Give me a try.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 PM

104 posts, read 116,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
From having kids in the public system, I can tell you with 100% certainty that what separates good schools from bad schools is the level of parent involvement and child preparation. Even in schools with bad teachers, when parents are involved they make sure those teachers get replaced. It's the kids who show up expecting they can do whatever they want that ruin it for all the other kids in the class by distracting and sucking up attention. Some parents never bother reading to their kids or explaining everything to them. Instead of a couple hours a week of sesame street it's 50 hours a week of Dora the brain dead retard or yo gabba "please teach me ADD" gabba . When the parents are responsible and involved, they hold everyone accountable at every level.
I disagree.

When I lived in Boston, my boys attended an under performing school (based on test scores) that had very high parent involvement. It was a good school if one were just simply evaluating the social aspect of the school (low bullying rate, high attendance, engaged students) but the actual ... academic rigor left a lot to be desired. They were also lacking in after school offerings given the low PTA funding.

My boys are now students at an elementary school in the UWS and the experience is markedly different. Academic expectations are much higher and the increased quality of the educators is also noticeable.

Compare this to my public school experience in Southern California. I attended a public school in a suburban upper-middle-class community that had very little parent involvement. Most parents were too busy because they commuted to Los Angeles. After-school programs were a foreign concept -- you were picked up by your babysitter. In addition to myself, a vast majority of my peers attended top universities after high school. I also attended a top law school because I am a great test taker, despite being black.

In my experience, what matters most is $$$ but that's just my experience. I can't go on to claim that I know every educational outcome based on my limited experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City