Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:54 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
Bushwick started gentrifying about 10 years ago, give or take. It still has a loooong ways to go.

Certain areas in Bushwick are quite nice and highly gentrified but most of what I've seen, it's still quite grimy and most of the residents are still native.
It seems like the Western portion of it will be Williamsburg 2.0 within 10 years, if that. At any rate, the neighborhood is already getting expensive and is obviously gentrifying pretty rapidly. But its geographic location of course, is more desirable than that of the South Bronx.

And I don't know if I'd say the residents are mostly native, many of the neighborhood's residents were not born in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 06:01 PM

965 posts, read 1,114,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Am here to tell you
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can see we have a parrot among us.

I've overly dead.
I'm super dead. Obliterated...

Dead. I'm so dead. Dead cannot describe how... dead, I really am.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 PM

954 posts, read 939,940 times
Bronx? Really? I have friends up there that I visit occasionally and it's still as ghetto as ever.

Lots of other areas need to fully gentrify before the Bronx even starts (Harlem, crown heights, Jackson heights, etc.)

Old 09-03-2017, 07:08 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Harlem, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Jamaica will gentrified before The Bronx. The Bronx waterfront area is in pre gentrification mode

Old 09-03-2017, 07:15 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Bronx? Really? I have friends up there that I visit occasionally and it's still as ghetto as ever.

Lots of other areas need to fully gentrify before the Bronx even starts (Harlem, crown heights, Jackson heights, etc.)
Why would so many other areas *need to gentrify* before parts of the Bronx that may be closer to job centers?

Old 09-03-2017, 09:48 PM

954 posts, read 939,940 times
What job center is the Bronx close to? If the answer is Manhattan, then wouldn't Harlem be closer?

Old 09-03-2017, 09:57 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
What job center is the Bronx close to? If the answer is Manhattan, then wouldn't Harlem be closer?
Yea, it's not closer or more accessible to major job centers than Harlem, Crown Heights, or Jackson Heights. The South Bronx is more in the tier of East New York and Flatbush. However, this doesn't mean the South Bronx can't be currently gentrifying as East New York and Flatbush currently are, only that it's in an earlier stage of doing so and it has certainly been gentrifying in the past several years. Those other places don't need to be completely gentrified for the process to be ongoing in the South Bronx.

I think it'll do so at a pretty gradual rate in years to come with a slight bump after the first phase of Penn Station Access.

I'd hope that the desire to make those stops more like rapid transit stops means that MTA figures out a decent in-city fare for commuter rail that can be more easily done with the move to rfid fare cards. Of course, all that is still years away.

There's also the Soundview ferry coming next year, but the capacity is going to be pretty small.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-03-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 10:11 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
What job center is the Bronx close to? If the answer is Manhattan then wouldn't Harlem be closer?
Areas like Mott Haven are *one subway* stop away from Harlem, so don't need all of the South Bronx to gentrify. Also have parts by Yankee stadium that are two or three stops from Manhattan by subway and just two stops to Grand Central on Metro North. Much faster than coming from East New York, and likely safer too since the courthouses are nearby.

Those who aren't ignorant about the Bronx will take advantage of certain areas. East New York is much worse crime wise than certain parts of the Bronx.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:

Other areas don't need to gentrify fully first. The (south) Bronx gentrifying makes geographic sense since Harlem is becoming more expensive and a destination in itself with bars, restaurants, and night life. It's logical that people would move one or two stops north for better prices on rent and real estate. They are a quick train or Uber to the Harlem nightlife and within the coveted 30 minute window to work in midtown.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Harlem, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Jamaica will gentrified before The Bronx. The Bronx waterfront area is in pre gentrification mode
Instead of using the Bronx. Can you be more specific about what Bronx neighborhoods will see gentrification after the former names you mentioned of above non Bronx neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City