Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Overhyped for Manhattan, but not for the Bronx
Which is the problem. Have to think about who would be willing to move to the South Bronx. One reason why Riverdale is able to get high prices... Constant flow of Manhattanites and even people from Westchester moving to Riverdale. It's safe, offers lots of luxury buildings with views, and has good transportation. South Bronx has to market itself differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 AM

444 posts, read 387,893 times
I am around the corner from 1020 GC. My windows look directly at the back of that building. Whoever buys an apartment at those prices that I see advertised is crazy doorman or not. Yes the building is gorgeous but the next block down (164th) I feel is possibly drug activity. When I have to walk along the GC I walk along the park and not by the buildings.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I am around the corner from 1020 GC. My windows look directly at the back of that building. Whoever buys an apartment at those prices that I see advertised is crazy doorman or not. Yes the building is gorgeous but the next block down (164th) I feel is possibly drug activity. When I have to walk along the GC I walk along the park and not by the buildings.
Yes because the subway station at 161st while dirty on the 4 line is still better than the others north of it. It's a hub so it is always busy and there tends to be cops around. Was down there last night walking to Metro North and saw an NYPD car stationed there.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Well all I can say is if you're serious, do it ASAP, otherwise you may not have a chance in the future. Check out Henna looking at the Bronx.....
Yeah, I've already seen the prices climbing in the past year. I might have missed my opportunity for something truly cheap. I'm not sure I can swing it if the prices keep going up.

And honestly I don't know that much about the neighborhood so that does concern me.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Which is the problem. Have to think about who would be willing to move to the South Bronx. One reason why Riverdale is able to get high prices... Constant flow of Manhattanites and even people from Westchester moving to Riverdale. It's safe, offers lots of luxury buildings with views, and has good transportation. South Bronx has to market itself differently.
For the people who dont have as much purchasing power, that's where they will go

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
The side blocks are terrible no doubt, but the landlords keep it that way, I dont even blame the people

Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
For the people who dont have as much purchasing power, that's where they will go
True, but you have to know about these places to begin with. If you aren't familiar with the Bronx, you'll avoid it because everyone thinks the entire place is horrible. Considering how expensive the place is becoming, with rents right up there with good chunks of Queens which is considered safe overall, am not sure what it will take for the borough to shake its image. Am thinking the amenities would have to improve, which is happening but only in spurts in select parts.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM

444 posts, read 387,893 times
Quote:
Yes because the subway station at 161st while dirty on the 4 line is still better than the others north of it. It's a hub so it is always busy and there tends to be cops around. Was down there last night walking to Metro North and saw an NYPD car stationed there.
1020 GC is closer to 167th station B/D not the 4. That's why I take the Express Bus. Can't speak on the cops because when I see them I only see them in their cars...parked...

Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
True, but you have to know about these places to begin with. If you aren't familiar with the Bronx, you'll avoid it because everyone thinks the entire place is horrible. Considering how expensive the place is becoming, with rents right up there with good chunks of Queens which is considered safe overall, am not sure what it will take for the borough to shake its image. Am thinking the amenities would have to improve, which is happening but only in spurts in select parts.
Oh well I'm super familiar with the Bronx but I also took it upon myself to chill up there and know it, plus I have family up there. So if others dont, thats on them.

and usually the people come before the amenities

Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
I will be 40 yrs old in Nov. I lived in that area till I was 14 on and off. It hasn't gotten worse but it hasn't gotten better like every other neighborhood I have lived in. It is in a weird time warp. Things are different but still very much the same. The building I used to live in has a police van parked out front at all times. The deli across the street is still there, the gang of guys they are new.

That "stretch" between 158th to 165th IS decent at best. The best building is 800 Grand Concourse. The rest are eh. Some are getting work done on their facades. So yes slowly tides are changing to help bring in more professional people but what about the businesses.

I can't explain it to someone that hasn't lived there and doesn't now. The area should be doing better. I've already started looking into community groups and how I can volunteer my time.
Good on you for volunteering! I think if things keep going as they are in terms of people coming in, jobs being created, and closer-in neighborhoods get more expensive, then portions of the South Bronx will look notably different by the start of the next decade. Gentrification/redevelopment is weird in that the initial period of people coming into the neighborhood for cheap rent is a long one and that first stores or restaurants that's frequented by new residents stays fairly solitary for a while (for the area around Yankee Stadium, Bronx Drafthouse basically fits it to a T). The next part when a slate of people and stores come is when it gets really noticeable.

Right now the part of the South Bronx, which is more like a collection of several neighborhoods, is probably furthest along is near the waterfront on and around Bruckner Boulevard. It's really evident when you walk along Bruckner from Third Avenue to Willis Avenue.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-06-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City