Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1020 Grand Concourse is all I gotta say. an apartment will sell for 7 figures there before I'm dead.

And you people who are stubborn and refuse to change will just lose in the end, that's all

I'm sorry but no sympathy from the MoD.
Inflation adjusted? A bag of chips will be <$10 before I'm dead. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,049 times
Quote:
For the people who dont have as much purchasing power, that's where they will go
Ain't going to happen son. Let me explain. Take myself as an example.

When I was working and going to grad school and my wife was going to grad school full time, we lived in the Bronx for a few years (Bedford Park). On a single salary, the $1200 rent served us well and the neighborhood was great. No complaints whatsoever. We were able to live comfortably and pay for her school without loans.

I graduated and moved on to a better job and my wife is starting as a 1st year PS teacher this year. Hence, we're looking to buy soon. The Bronx hasn't really come into the conversation. Mott Haven is on my mind but more as a potential great investment, not as a great place to live and raise children in the short-medium term.

We're mainly looking in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Yes, the Bronx is cheaper and some areas are OK, but we'd rather pay a few hundred K more for a better place in Brooklyn or Manhattan.

The East Bronx has terrible amenities. The west Bronx is a bit better in that regard but the transportation links to Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn are terrible (as in take forever).

Take a look at something like 2100 Bedford in Brooklyn. It's way more attractive then almost anything in the Bronx. That's only the beginning for Prospect Lefferts. We'd much rather buy there than the Bronx even though we liked living in the Bronx.

Furthermore, you also have to think about the next downturn (and it will come). Which areas are going to take the greater hit; Brooklyn/Manhattan or the Bronx? If you follow the RE market then you know that rents are actually dropping in upper Manhattan. The market's reaching a peak.

The way I see it is that Manhattan, Brooklyn, and LIC have to be saturated before the Bronx can really take off. Mott Haven might take off but that won't mean the start of gentrification across the Bronx. Mott Haven is akin to LIC/Astoria.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 09-06-2017 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Agreed. In 3 years as the South Bronx reaches a critical mass of gentrification, by that point West Harlem/Hamilton Heights might be predominately white. There's a rapid growth of the white population here and a lot of brownstones undergo renovation.
Since you called me a white supremacist. I don't want you to agree with my posts anymore.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:24 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

When I was working and going to grad school and my wife was going to grad school full time, we lived in the Bronx for a few years (Bedford Park). On a single salary, the $1200 rent served us well and the neighborhood was great. No complaints whatsoever. We were able to live comfortably and pay for her school without loans.

I graduated and moved on to a better job and my wife is starting as a 1st year PS teacher this year. Hence, we're looking to buy soon. The Bronx hasn't really come into the conversation. Mott Haven is on my mind but more as a potential great investment, not as a great place to live and raise children in the short-medium term.

We're mainly looking in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Yes, the Bronx is cheaper and some areas are OK, but we'd rather pay a few hundred K more for a better place in Brooklyn or Manhattan.

The East Bronx has terrible amenities. The west Bronx is a bit better in that regard but the transportation links to Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn are terrible (as in take forever).

Take a look at something like 2100 Bedford in Brooklyn. It's way more attractive then almost anything in the Bronx. That's only the beginning for Prospect Lefferts. We'd much rather buy there than the Bronx even though we liked living in the Bronx.

Furthermore, you also have to think about the next downturn (and it will come). Which areas are going to take the greater hit; Brooklyn/Manhattan or the Bronx? If you follow the RE market then you know that rents are actually dropping in upper Manhattan. The market's reaching a peak.

The way I see it is that Manhattan, Brooklyn, and LIC have to be saturated before the Bronx can really take off. Mott Haven might take off but that won't mean the start of gentrification across the Bronx. Mott Haven is akin to LIC/Astoria.
Your whole response is moot. You have a kid. Usually families come to changing neighborhoods last. And majority of this post is talkibg about what only you and your family are comfortsble with.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

Also, in regards to upper Manhattan rents dropping, you're talking about Harlem? Or Washingrin Heights and Inwood?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Also, in regards to upper Manhattan rents dropping, you're talking about Harlem? Or Washingrin Heights and Inwood?
I live in West Harlem and there is a rapid influx of white people coming inhere, the Hamilton Heights area. East Harlem seems to have a slower influx but it too is changing.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 AM

444 posts, read 387,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I live in West Harlem and there is a rapid influx of white people coming inhere, the Hamilton Heights area. East Harlem seems to have a slower influx but it too is changing.
BF and I left East Harlem and the rents were rising. I can't say that I saw a huge influx of white people but enough to know the change was coming. We lived on 112th between 2nd and 1st, right across from Jefferson Projects.

A 1 bedroom on 112th between 3rd and Lex is going for $2250. Don't know if any of you know that spot but I wouldn't walk down 112th. I would walk on 110th to 2nd and then cross over to 112th. That corner of Lexington and 112th was too much activity for me.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
BF and I left East Harlem and the rents were rising. I can't say that I saw a huge influx of white people but enough to know the change was coming. We lived on 112th between 2nd and 1st, right across from Jefferson Projects.

A 1 bedroom on 112th between 3rd and Lex is going for $2250. Don't know if any of you know that spot but I wouldn't walk down 112th. I would walk on 110th to 2nd and then cross over to 112th. That corner of Lexington and 112th was too much activity for me.
Can believe it because studios are now going for $1750 and up. There are a few new buildings along 3rd Avenue scheduled to open and those apartments will certainly be expensive, not just for the area but overall. Am sure the one bedrooms will fetch around $2300, maybe more depending on the amenities and how big they are, as they are new.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post

112th is one of the worst streets in Harlem, from Lenox to First Avenue is nothing but NYCHA

Old 09-07-2017, 06:46 AM

444 posts, read 387,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can believe it because studios are now going for $1750 and up. There are a few new buildings along 3rd Avenue scheduled to open and those apartments will certainly be expensive, not just for the area but overall. Am sure the one bedrooms will fetch around $2300, maybe more depending on the amenities and how big they are, as they are new.
By the *mall* I think I saw apartments going for $2800 but I can't remember the size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City