Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am not sure what you're running your mouth about, but that New Haven extension is already in the works. Just a matter of when exactly it'll be done.
They are waiting for federal approval, which should come later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Lower Concourse has better transportation options, so I would choose that as well. Which is probably a factor in it being safer. Some of the worst areas have concentrated poverty and are far from public transportation. Like Edenwald in the North Bronx.
Am in disagreement. Most of the Bronx is bad that is near subway options, no matter how *close* or far away it is from Manhattan. Only a small amount of the Concourse is okay, mainly because of the nearby Courthouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How did you lose track of the point so quickly. What do you think it was about?
Never lost track. Am just wondering why you're running your mouth about something that is already a done deal. Unlike you am in the Bronx regularly and know what is going on. Don't just live in a little bubble in Manhattan or whatever.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Am in disagreement. Most of the Bronx is bad that is near subway options, no matter how *close* or far away it is from Manhattan. Only a small amount of the Concourse is okay, mainly because of the nearby Courthouses.

Never lost track. Am just wondering why you're running your mouth about something that is already a done deal. Unlike you am in the Bronx regularly and know what is going on. Don't just live in a little bubble in Manhattan or whatever.
What are you talking about? Who is running Metro-North as a rapid transit service within the city? I think you completely missed the point of what I was saying, but want to argue something.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? Who is running Metro-North as a rapid transit service within the city? I think you completely missed the point of what I was saying, but want to argue something.
Since you have a hard time understanding, will repeat: New York is *not* like other places and Metro North runs *commuter* rail service for its suburban commuters. It is *not* a subway. If such a service is needed, build a subway and call it a day. Most of the areas you noted in that illustration are further out in the Bronx and people use the express bus or bus to subway with a few exceptions. Would rather the monies go to improving the current subway service we have, which in case you haven't noticed is *atrocious*, but then again living in Manhattan suppose you're fine with that half *ssed A train or whatever.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Since you have a hard time understanding, will repeat: New York is *not* like other places and Metro North runs *commuter* rail service for its suburban commuters. It is *not* a subway. If such a service is needed, build a subway and call it a day. Most of the areas you noted in that illustration are further out in the Bronx and people use the express bus or bus to subway with a few exceptions. Would rather the monies go to improving the current subway service we have, which in case you haven't noticed is *atrocious*, but then again living in Manhattan suppose you're fine with that half *ssed A train or whatever.
You really, really missed the point then. No one is denying it is run as a commuter rail service at all. I am saying that we can draw from other major metropolitan areas that have found ways and have poured or are pouring funding into their commuter rail systems to make them serve double duty and get more out of the infrastructure that is already in place. It is cost-effectiveness that is driving this which is why "build a subway and call it a day" is a bizarre response--where is the money for something that large? Sure, if there is that much money that we can spread it around like that, then great. However, I don't think transit funding has been a priority for this country even though it probably should be which is why I was talking about this as an alternative to waiting for the Second Avenue Subway to expand into the Bronx (which was in response to posts about what made the takedown of the Third Avenue El so bad and why something like it should come back up). It's crazy that you seem so aggressive in arguing, but also have almost no idea what the person you're arguing with is saying. You lack the ability to understand context and this seems to be the case over and over again.

Also, I don't live in Manhattan and have lived in every borough except for Staten Island. I take the subway maybe three days out of the week on average, though I like taking LIRR and Metro-North on weekends.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Okay if you want to be the undisputed expert of the poorest borough of NYC be my guest. You won't get paid for it and no one will care.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You really, really missed the point then. No one is denying it is run as a commuter rail service at all. I am saying that we can draw from other major metropolitan areas that have found ways and have poured or are pouring funding into their commuter rail systems to make them serve double duty and get more out of the infrastructure that is already in place. It is cost-effectiveness that is driving this which is why "build a subway and call it a day" is a bizarre response--where is the money for something that large? Sure, if there is that much money that we can spread it around like that, then great. However, I don't think transit funding has been a priority for this country even though it probably should be which is why I was talking about this as an alternative to waiting for the Second Avenue Subway to expand into the Bronx (which was in response to posts about what made the takedown of the Third Avenue El so bad and why something like it should come back up). It's crazy that you seem so aggressive in arguing, but also have almost no idea what the person you're arguing with is saying. You lack the ability to understand context and this seems to be the case over and over again.

Also, I don't live in Manhattan and have lived in every borough except for Staten Island. I take the subway maybe three days out of the week on average, though I like taking LIRR and Metro-North on weekends.
Understood your point the first time. No need to keep beating a dead horse. Just because you say the same thing over and over again doesn't make it so. Again, what works in other places won't necessarily work here. For starters, since you're so bright, am sure you know that Metro North, while part of the MTA is *separate*, and so there would have to be much in the way of restructuring for such a situation to occur. You want a commuter rail to serve *double duty* because it would be cheaper? Well I don't think the unions would agree with you and the certainly would raise hell, along with Metro North riders and those who use the thing because they don't want to take the subway in the first place. You wouldn't be the first one to go running their mouth about such a set up and won't be the last.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:

The MTA is utilizing underused or used right of ways. This may lead to more Bronx residents using the Metro North. This has Pierre panicking. Amazon's takeover of Whole Foods and subsequent marketing towards masses of people already has him panicked.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The MTA is utilizing underused or used right of ways. This may lead to more Bronx residents using the Metro North. This has Pierre panicking. Amazon's takeover of Whole Foods and subsequent marketing towards masses of people already has him panicked.
Am not sure what you're running your mouth about, but yet again, have shown you don't know what you're talking about. Went on blowing hot air about Whole Foods too until I corrected you.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Understood your point the first time. No need to keep beating a dead horse. Just because you say the same thing over and over again doesn't make it so. Again, what works in other places won't necessarily work here. For starters, since you're so bright, am sure you know that Metro North, while part of the MTA is *separate*, and so there would have to be much in the way of restructuring for such a situation to occur. You want a commuter rail to serve *double duty* because it would be cheaper? Well I don't think the unions would agree with you and the certainly would raise hell, along with Metro North riders and those who use the thing because they don't want to take the subway in the first place. You wouldn't be the first one to go running their mouth about such a set up and won't be the last.
Yes, I do think it needs to be restructured. I actually think Metro-North and LIRR should be forced to consolidate and that if there was any semblance of sense, they'd work towards standardization of their electrical systems along with New Jersey Transit along with consolidated through-running services. I'm sure there will be a lot of pushback with the union as had happened with SEPTA. These are structural issues that can and should be dealt with. This also wouldn't be the first time metropolitan transit agencies have been restructured, but it's always a slog. In transit circles, it's said that good mass transit goes first organization, then electronics, then concrete. This throwing straight in on concrete is dumb when there is a lot of organization that needs to be changed first (and electronics such as signaling).

However, it's not necessarily true it would need to have heavy restructuring in order for the operation I mentioned (though I think restructuring needs to be pushed regardless). If there is going to be additional capacity and train frequencies already, then it probably needs purchase of a little more rolling stock. In terms of integrated fare, MTA is trying to roll out RFID tap cards at some point which can be fine for boarding for the limited number of stations within the city. Additionally, MTA actually already has a program that creates reduced fare within city limits (aside from the difference in fare zone costs)--it's called CityTicket and it's already in operation for weekdays only. What can be done with fairly little restructuring is basically piggybacking off of current plans (and they'll need to anyways, because the Penn Station Access plan going through the Bronx likely won't fly so well if its prices and service frequencies are bad) and expanding on them via more rolling stock and an expanded CityTicket program. All of that can be done with fairly minimal cost above what is supposedly already in place and can be useful as a case for testing the waters of a NYC RER/S-Bahn kind of service.

What does this have to do with the South Bronx? Well, there are a lot of lines that go through the South Bronx and fast, quick transit will make these places more appealing for working professionals.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-07-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City