Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:38 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Well the Bronx right by 138th St is already getting hit with the hipster hammer; SoBro as they call it. I seen with my own 2 eyes the wicker furniture shops, overpriced cafes, generic bistros, overpriced organic fruit stores... it's depressing.

Keep the ...well the junkie Puerto Ricans around 161st and Morris by the courthouse? They can go.
Will *never* leave. Have more *heeled* people with *money* coming in. Can get their *fix* or whatever quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:44 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Well the Bronx right by 138th St is already getting hit with the hipster hammer; SoBro as they call it. I seen with my own 2 eyes the wicker furniture shops, overpriced cafes, generic bistros, crappy organic fruit stores... it's depressing.

Keep the Dominicans and the Pastelitos. Keep the Jamaicans and the Jerk Chicken. Keep the ...well the junkie Puerto Ricans around 161st and Morris by the courthouse? They can go.
Everyone I met from the Bronx is longing for better food options, that is things that are not fast food. It's a national trend due to better education and the internet. But besides that, Dominicans did not always rule the Bronx and neighborhoods never remain static. The Bronx used to be very Jewish, for example. Every body I know who is a native New Yorker who is Jewish used to live in the Bronx when they were kids, or their mother's did, for example. I actually think that is the entire reason why the Q44 exists.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Everyone I met from the Bronx is longing for better food options, that is things that are not fast food. It's a national trend due to better education and the internet. But besides that, Dominicans did not always rule the Bronx and neighborhoods never remain static. The Bronx used to be very Jewish, for example. Every body I know who is a native New Yorker who is Jewish used to live in the Bronx when they were kids, or their mother's did, for example. I actually think that is the entire reason why the Q44 exists.
Have to say. It's frustrating that the Bronx still has so few options, even in the good areas. Cannot find really good *authentic* pizza or nice *high-end* dining options, and am not interested in the usual BS chains. Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks... Not high-end, but rather fast food, cheap garbage. Riverdale now has a nice farm-to-table option and another café is opening up on Riverdale Avenue that *may* be good, but that farm-to-table place is kosher, which means it closes on Saturdays because of *Shabbat*, and closes early on Fridays before sun down, not including the other Jewish holidays. Aside from that have *one* decent Japanese place. The rest of the options really stink. Every neighborhood that I've been to is similar. Only a handful of exceptions like Morris Park, which has some good Italian places, but overall, not a good food scene.

The people that think City Island has good seafood have no idea what *quality* seafood tastes like *fresh from the ocean*. Have lived in Italy and can tell you *that* is fresh seafood, not imitation or whatever. With the rents going up the way that they have in the Bronx, have to think sooner or later better options will arrive. Also notice a good portion of people in the Bronx are *fat* or *obese* and don't care about their diet.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,315 times
I like the Bronx cuz' I can ask for some mangu y, queso frito con salami in a few places. I get along well enough. People call it ghetto... and I lived on Morris Ave and Grand Concourse, yea it's noisy l, crowded and dirty but, I felt like positively recognized. Now I am in Brooklyn, near Coney Island, been there for 4 years, some shopkeeps know me now but, I say hello to neighbors maybe 3 times a week. EDIT: that past part isn't because of Hipsters, just too wide a culture gap between me and the Russian or Asian peoples. In the Bronx I was ...enjoying healthy heterosexual adult relations... with different girls every couple of weeks. I don't want the Bronx to become another Cobble Hill, East Village or Williamsburg... ugh those places are lame and, yes I am casting the blame on transplant hipsters!

Old 09-22-2017, 03:13 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have to say. It's frustrating that the Bronx still has so few options, even in the good areas. Cannot find really good *authentic* pizza or nice *high-end* dining options, and am not interested in the usual BS chains. Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks... Not high-end, but rather fast food, cheap garbage. Riverdale now has a nice farm-to-table option and another café is opening up on Riverdale Avenue that *may* be good, but that farm-to-table place is kosher, which means it closes on Saturdays because of *Shabbat*, and closes early on Fridays before sun down, not including the other Jewish holidays. Aside from that have *one* decent Japanese place. The rest of the options really stink. Every neighborhood that I've been to is similar. Only a handful of exceptions like Morris Park, which has some good Italian places, but overall, not a good food scene.

The people that think City Island has good seafood have no idea what *quality* seafood tastes like *fresh from the ocean*. Have lived in Italy and can tell you *that* is fresh seafood, not imitation or whatever. With the rents going up the way that they have in the Bronx, have to think sooner or later better options will arrive. Also notice a good portion of people in the Bronx are *fat* or *obese* and don't care about their diet.
Yea, City Island is interesting, but I don't think the seafood there is really that great.

My personal good restaurants in the Bronx is basically one old Jewish deli in Riverdale (not healthy at all), several places on and around Arthur Avenue in Belmont, a few great Mexican places in the South Bronx, a few Vietnamese places in Bedford Park, and two Bangladeshi places in Parkchester. Bruckner Boulevard has sprouted some nice places that are quite bougie, but they're more great for the area than just great overall. Of these, I think only two Mexican places in the South Bronx (and another one that used to be there, but moved to Brooklyn) and three Arthur Avenue places are actually in the great restaurants territory.

I'm wondering what are other places in the Bronx have great restaurants and what some of those are.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, City Island is interesting, but I don't think the seafood there is really that great.

My personal good restaurants in the Bronx is basically one old Jewish deli in Riverdale (not healthy at all), several places on and around Arthur Avenue in Belmont, a few great Mexican places in the South Bronx, a few Vietnamese places in Bedford Park, and two Bangladeshi places in Parkchester. Bruckner Boulevard has sprouted some nice places that are quite bougie, but they're more great for the area than just great overall. Of these, I think only two Mexican places in the South Bronx (and another one that used to be there, but moved to Brooklyn) and three Arthur Avenue places are actually in the great restaurants territory.

I'm wondering what are other places in the Bronx have great restaurants and what some of those are.
The other thing is a lot of *restaurants* are really *diners* and run down ones at that. Likely won't step foot in Liebmans. Am not interested in going back into a time warp and aging myself 30 years. Riverdale is sort of an exception because a lot of the residents are Manhattanites originally, from Westchester, or grew up in Riverdale, and have an attachment to Manhattan or Westchester, so they go there to have dinner or whatever, but locally, most of these Bronx neighborhoods just don't cut it. Am thinking it comes down to the restaurants themselves opening up shop and not having a clue of how to run a business. How hard is it to prepare drinks and cook good food? Have seen *several* locations open up in Riverdale, only to close up shop less than a year later.

Have people there with money or whatever, but the local businesses are clueless as to how to make a quality product at the right price. Even that kosher farm-to-table place has higher prices than Manhattan. Can go there and get two muffins and a coffee and spend $15.00! Am not exaggerating either. Said to myself, who is going to consistently pay over $5.00 for coffee, even if it is Stumptown coffee? Owner tries to justify her prices by noting that everything is *farm-to-table*, and the coffee is *fair-trade*, thus the high prices reflect the quality and the decent wages paid to workers.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:43 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Is there something like an old stalwart in Bronx that are like Peter Luger's, Di Fara (or even Julianna which is the real old Grimaldi's), or River Cafe are in Brooklyn? Or even Tanoreen which has been around for about two decades.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

OK, I caught that last line and almost freaked out.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Have to say. It's frustrating that the Bronx still has so few options, even in the good areas.
That was because of divestment in the area. It was very political and very racially motivated.

Quote:
Cannot find really good *authentic* pizza or nice *high-end* dining options, and am not interested in the usual BS chains. Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks... Not high-end, but rather fast food, cheap garbage.
This is not my bag either. Sometimes I like a Starbucks I prefer coffee at home.

Riverdale now has a nice farm-to-table option and another café is opening up on Riverdale Avenue that *may* be good, but that farm-to-table place is kosher, which means it closes on Saturdays because of *Shabbat*, and closes early on Fridays before sun down, not including the other Jewish holidays.[/quote] Well that's kind of pointless

Quote:
Aside from that have *one* decent Japanese place. The rest of the options really stink. Every neighborhood that I've been to is similar. Only a handful of exceptions like Morris Park, which has some good Italian places, but overall, not a good food scene.
I generally cook Italian well enough that I don't seek to eat Italian out. I just don't. I seek out cuisines I don't cook at home, or are too much work to make at home.

Quote:
The people that think City Island has good seafood have no idea what *quality* seafood tastes like *fresh from the ocean*. Have lived in Italy and can tell you *that* is fresh seafood, not imitation or whatever.
This is also not my bag, so I don't care. LOL

Quote:
With the rents going up the way that they have in the Bronx, have to think sooner or later better options will arrive. Also notice a good portion of people in the Bronx are *fat* or *obese* and don't care about their diet.
Fat and diet are only loosely correlated. Studies of identical twins, separated at birth, and raised by different parents yielded identical body composition (and aptitude) in the end.

Stress IS a known factor for obesity because cortisol is a very bad for the weight.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

This is unvetted but have you seen this?
Home Edible Bronx | Edible Bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City