Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If Harlem ever even remotely resembled a CBD, the East Bronx would gentrify quickly. However, that doesn't look like it's happening/going to happen at all. Maybe if the SAS finally gets built?

Remember when the Clinton's moved to Harlem and that was supposed to be the start of something bigger? There are definitely more white people in Harlem but there are still no major enterprises apart from Columbia University.
Mt. Sinai is in Harlem and that's a major institution. Beyond that there is rapidly growing retail on 125th street and improving retail on other streets. Harlem is close enough to Midtown it doesn't need a CBD to gentrify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That Charlotte Street "gentrification" looks like a bunch of temporary army barracks.
It was always a surreal experience to see them while riding on the El. A slice of Levittown amidst the devastation.

A friend of mine says they have held their value, but I have no idea.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Mt. Sinai is in Harlem and that's a major institution. Beyond that there is rapidly growing retail on 125th street and improving retail on other streets. Harlem is close enough to Midtown it doesn't need a CBD to gentrify.
Stop trying to *over-hype* Harlem. It's still pretty ghetto overall and dirty, especially with those Meth heads on 125th walking around talking to themselves. The only difference is more white people and it's more expensive. All that will happen is it will become another overpriced dirty neighborhood in Manhattan, of which there are many. Call me when something earth shattering happens. The only reason white people are moving up there is because they've been priced out elsewhere. I'd take Inwood (west of Broadway) any day over Harlem.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:31 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The only reason white people are moving up there is because they've been priced out elsewhere..
That's the only reason white people ever moved anywhere besides the upper east and west sides.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:00 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What's a CBD?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Stop trying to *over-hype* Harlem. It's still pretty ghetto overall and dirty, especially with those Meth heads on 125th walking around talking to themselves. The only difference is more white people and it's more expensive. All that will happen is it will become another overpriced dirty neighborhood in Manhattan, of which there are many. Call me when something earth shattering happens. The only reason white people are moving up there is because they've been priced out elsewhere. I'd take Inwood (west of Broadway) any day over Harlem.
Harlem is a lot more than 125th Street, thank you. Speaking of, lots of older buildings on 125th Street are undergoing gut renovations to make room for new retail.

And I'm telling the truth, plain and simple. Lots of white people are moving to Harlem. We all know why. And the neighborhood is changing nonetheless. And yes, it will become an another overpriced neighborhood in Manhattan.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What's a CBD?
Central Business District. Most of the white people who live in Harlem work in Midtown. 145th Street on the A, B, C, D is just 15 minutes by express train from midtown.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
That's the only reason white people ever moved anywhere besides the upper east and west sides.
I'm not sure about that, I think hipsters prefer to live in gentrifying neighborhoods

Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 PM

181 posts, read 190,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm not sure about that, I think hipsters prefer to live in gentrifying neighborhoods
The restaurant working hipsters or the ones who work white collar jobs? Or the ones who are white collar by day and restaurant servers by night? Which group of hipsters?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,315 times
Well the Bronx right by 138th St is already getting hit with the hipster hammer; SoBro as they call it. I seen with my own 2 eyes the wicker furniture shops, overpriced cafes, generic bistros, crappy organic fruit stores... it's depressing.

Keep the Dominicans and the Pastelitos. Keep the Jamaicans and the Jerk Chicken. Keep the ...well the junkie Puerto Ricans around 161st and Morris by the courthouse? They can go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City