Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah for example, this place looks to be an absolute steal if you can get 2 other families, in your family haha, to all go in and purchase on this, you'll just hear gunshots at night:

https://www.trulia.com/property/3128...Bronx-NY-10457
Even then it's not a steal... $700,000 to live in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:13 AM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I bought in Bed Stuy (Stuy Heights on Macon St) in 2004 for 420 K sold in 2015 for 1.825.
And some parts of Bed-Stuy are still pretty dangerous at night. Let these people talk man.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Even then it's not a steal... $700,000 to live in that area?
It's a 3 family though....if that was asking price for a 1 family I would agree with you. Either rent out the other 2 units, or have 2 family members move in with you, and file with the AG to turn it into a condo. Only thing that turns me off is lack of parking off the street, but you got a hospital and the D train within walking distance. If I was originally from the Bronx I would strongly consider it, but I wouldn't move from a bad neighborhood in one borough to a bad neighborhood in another borough unless I didnt have a choice. Might as well stick with what you know, IMO.

Side note, I have lived the majority of my life a five minute walk from a hospital. Especially with kids, thats important. If they did not close Peninsula Hospital I would still live a 5 minute walk away from a hospital. I'm very big on civic amenities, thats the anchor of the neighborhood IMO.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
It's a 3 family though....if that was asking price for a 1 family I would agree with you. Either rent out the other 2 units, or have 2 family members move in with you, and file with the AG to turn it into a condo. Only thing that turns me off is lack of parking off the street, but you got a hospital and the D train within walking distance. If I was originally from the Bronx I would strongly consider it, but I wouldn't move from a bad neighborhood in one borough to a bad neighborhood in another borough unless I didnt have a choice. Might as well stick with what you know, IMO.

Side note, I have lived the majority of my life a five minute walk from a hospital. Especially with kids, thats important. If they did not close Peninsula Hospital I would still live a 5 minute walk away from a hospital. I'm very big on civic amenities, thats the anchor of the neighborhood IMO.
Could care less what it is. Could not pay me to move there. One thing to have an area that is *rough* around the edges, and another to have a *curfew* set by the hoodlums in the area. You step outside at the wrong time and end up like that poor kid that was shot just walking with his father from the building to the car.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Could care less what it is. Could not pay me to move there. One thing to have an area that is *rough* around the edges, and another to have a *curfew* set by the hoodlums in the area. You step outside at the wrong time and end up like that poor kid that was shot just walking with his father from the building to the car.
That's how it used to be around the Church Avenue stop on the Q train back in the 1980s, where some of my family still lives today. Now, you can't rent a 3 bedroom around there for less than $4K, and everybody owns a dog. But I respect your feelings.

side note: I'm a sucker for older-style architecture, so I go nuts when I see some of these beautiful old Bronx buildings. Shame that they're in red neighborhoods on the Trulia map.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That's how it used to be around the Church Avenue stop on the Q train back in the 1980s, where some of my family still lives today. Now, you can't rent a 3 bedroom around there for less than $4K, and everybody owns a dog. But I respect your feelings.
Listen, can find numerous neighborhoods that are *sketchy*, but not worth risking your life for a few dollars. Better to take a chance on something else.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Listen, can find numerous neighborhoods that are *sketchy*, but not worth risking your life for a few dollars. Better to take a chance on something else.
I hear you, but if thats all you can afford to buy at the time, it's better than having your rent go up every year or two.

To be honest with you, I dont think you can find a similar comp in a better area. Thats ur challenge!

PS: The listing I posted is turn-key!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I hear you, but if thats all you can afford to buy at the time, it's better than having your rent go up every year or two.

To be honest with you, I dont think you can find a similar comp in a better area. Thats ur challenge!

PS: The listing I posted is turn-key!
Could simply pick a smaller residence and call it a day. Live in two very *boring* quiet neighborhoods, but fine by me. In one of them, come home all sorts of hours and never fear for my safety, aside from the random raccoon, possum or skunk or whatever.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Could simply pick a smaller residence and call it a day. Live in two very *boring* quiet neighborhoods, but fine by me. In one of them, come home all sorts of hours and never fear for my safety, aside from the random raccoon, possum or skunk or whatever.
I worry about the raccoons and possums more than getting robbed personally. LoL

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Definitely... the streets immediately East,West, North and South of it are settling down as probably the worst in The Bronx after all is said and and done.

Another piece of Robert Moses's legacy I think. No coincidence that probably the last pieces of The Bronx to come back from the dead will be all of the areas just to the North and just to the South of The Cross Bronx.
And put a bullseye at intersection with 3rd Avenue. Building The Cross Bronx and tearing down the 3rd Avenue el were the 2 of the worst things to ever happen to the fabric of The Bronx. I call that swath the belly of The Bronx . It probably won't recover totally until they sell air rights over The Cross Bronx and encourage development on top of it to stitch the neighborhoods back together and then restore some kind of transportation line back on 3rd Ave. Could happen sometime. They are already talking about covering over parts of The Cross Bronx and reconnecting Tremont(Borough Hall) Park and Crotona Park right there at 3rd Ave.Some are even dreaming of building a Bronx Borough Hall there back in Borough Hall/Crotona Park. They never built a new borough hall when they tore down the original one and The Bronx still doesn't really have a borough hall.
Has there been an organization that's actually pushed for a cap on the Cross Bronx? That sounds great--if you've got links, please share them.

I think in terms of transit for that area, it's either hold one's breath for the second avenue expansion to have finished and then have it turn towards expanding into the Bronx or having MTA get its commuter rail operations to be better integrated such that there's more frequent and better integrated fare for the Metro-North trunk that runs through the area and an additional stop between Melrose and Tremont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City