Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 08:42 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
"Coming along" one of the most loved baseball teams has it's stadium in the South Bronx yet it still has not benefited from having the Yankees there EVER. Why? Because of the people.

Chase, Citibank, WellsFargo aren't out biding each other to build offices next to the courthouse. Why. Because of the people.

Jersey City didn't get lucky after 9/11. No one wanted to come downtown and across the river was the next best place. Exchange Place wasn't much before then. It's transportation is a light-rail and ferry and the PATH. There are business, lots of residential buildings, and restaurants.

But the South Bronx with World Champs still has it's stadium housed in ratchet city. Walking towards Yankee Stadium is embarrassing.

I'm sorry but whenever it happens I need someone to till me what took so long.
It took so long because there were plenty of other inexpensive neighborhoods that had fallen on hard times that were much more accessible to the central business districts than the South Bronx. Now that those neighborhoods have basically filled out and have become exorbitantly expensive in ever-expanding rings, the South Bronx is now having attention turned towards it. It's basically East New York / East Flatbush / South Bronx's turn now unless there's a major disaster or recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
"Coming along" one of the most loved baseball teams has it's stadium in the South Bronx yet it still has not benefited from having the Yankees there EVER. Why? Because of the people.

Chase, Citibank, WellsFargo aren't out biding each other to build offices next to the courthouse. Why. Because of the people.

Jersey City didn't get lucky after 9/11. No one wanted to come downtown and across the river was the next best place. Exchange Place wasn't much before then. It's transportation is a light-rail and ferry and the PATH. There are business, lots of residential buildings, and restaurants.

But the South Bronx with World Champs still has it's stadium housed in ratchet city. Walking towards Yankee Stadium is embarrassing.

I'm sorry but whenever it happens I need someone to till me what took so long.
Calm down. That little stretch from 158th to 165th on the Concourse is decent. Again *on the Concourse* is the key. The Courthouses nearby give the area a chance with so many cops around. Am a little confused as to why the strip immediately by Yankees' Stadium hasn't been better developed, but then again, everyone generally runs *inside the stadium* for whatever food and drinks they want. Either that or along River Avenue. Is *slowly* improving. Has no choice but to as the prices continue to climb. Those who are living on welfare or whatever can't cannot afford the new rents at $1500 a month, so more professionals will move in there, but will likely take another 5 - 10 years.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM

444 posts, read 387,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Calm down. That little stretch from 158th to 165th on the Concourse is decent. Again *on the Concourse* is the key. The Courthouses nearby give the area a chance with so many cops around. Am a little confused as to why the strip immediately by Yankees' Stadium hasn't been better developed, but then again, everyone generally runs *inside the stadium* for whatever food and drinks they want. Either that or along River Avenue. Is *slowly* improving. Has no choice but to as the prices continue to climb. Those who are living on welfare or whatever can't cannot afford the new rents at $1500 a month, so more professionals will move in there, but will likely take another 5 - 10 years.
I will be 40 yrs old in Nov. I lived in that area till I was 14 on and off. It hasn't gotten worse but it hasn't gotten better like every other neighborhood I have lived in. It is in a weird time warp. Things are different but still very much the same. The building I used to live in has a police van parked out front at all times. The deli across the street is still there, the gang of guys they are new.

That "stretch" between 158th to 165th IS decent at best. The best building is 800 Grand Concourse. The rest are eh. Some are getting work done on their facades. So yes slowly tides are changing to help bring in more professional people but what about the businesses.

I can't explain it to someone that hasn't lived there and doesn't now. The area should be doing better. I've already started looking into community groups and how I can volunteer my time.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:22 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
1020 Grand Concourse is all I gotta say. an apartment will sell for 7 figures there before I'm dead.

And you people who are stubborn and refuse to change will just lose in the end, that's all

I'm sorry but no sympathy from the MoD.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I will be 40 yrs old in Nov. I lived in that area till I was 14 on and off. It hasn't gotten worse but it hasn't gotten better like every other neighborhood I have lived in. It is in a weird time warp. Things are different but still very much the same. The building I used to live in has a police van parked out front at all times. The deli across the street is still there, the gang of guys they are new.

That "stretch" between 158th to 165th IS decent at best. The best building is 800 Grand Concourse. The rest are eh. Some are getting work done on their facades. So yes slowly tides are changing to help bring in more professional people but what about the businesses.

I can't explain it to someone that hasn't lived there and doesn't now. The area should be doing better. I've already started looking into community groups and how I can volunteer my time.
Well you're right, but you have to understand. There are *a lot* of poor people and those on social programs, not to mention the *hoards of housing projects*. There are no amenities really to speak of (sorry but Starbucks and Chipotle are nothing special and that gets old fast and no one wants Popeyes like that unless they don't care about their health). Most other places are grease spoons and offer low-quality food.

The commute while decent can still be a pain because the areas off of the Concourse are hilly. Even on the Concourse is hilly so that's another factor. Outside of the subway, Metro North is there but sort of out of the way and mainly is there for Yankees' fans and those lawyers and other employees who come down from Westchester or Riverdale to work in the courts, and the BxM4 express bus doesn't run that frequently. Am thinking better transportation would be a start, and better amenities would help too. You also have to realize that there are some there that simply don't want the place to change and will do their damndest to keep it dirty and ghetto because after the South Bronx goes, where else are these people going to go? It's one of the last frontiers so it will take time.

There's also not the kind of vocal community there just yet to speak up for such improvements. When you're living paycheck-to-paycheck and can barely afford the rent, you aren't worrying about new coffee shops and other amenities coming in, and so it goes. You need more high income earners to move there AND stay there for a while and invest. That area also doesn't have many co-ops to speak of, so when you rent, often times aren't as invested in the area. 800 Grand Concourse is one the better buildings in the strip (am in agreement) and it's also a co-op, so can see the difference. There's 1020 Grand Concourse as well, but get the impression that people use that co-op as a launching pad for something better, as the areas off of the Concourse by 165th are really sketchy. Can see bullet holes in the front doors of some of the side buildings, something you would see really back in the old days in bad areas of the city.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 09-06-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 AM

The day a member of the New York Yankees buys at 1020 GC, most of you will have been already priced out

At least C-D will still be around for you to complain. All I do is study real estate trends in the city.

And 1020 GC is Landmarked!

Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The day a member of the New York Yankees buys at 1020 GC, most of you will have been already priced out

At least C-D will still be around for you to complain. All I do is study real estate trends in the city.

And 1020 GC is Landmarked!
1020 GC is overhyped. The elevators are small and cramped, and the apartments while modern usually could use a little work. Lobby is ok, but could be kept cleaner IMO. Again, the side streets are very sketchy and north of 165th, it goes downhill *fast* in terms of quality of life and crime, both on the Concourse and off of it. Then go back to the amenities... Really nothing to speak of, though the Bronx Museum of Arts is across the street along with the BxM4 bus to Midtown. Will say that the borough president Díaz has been determined to poor money into that part of the Concourse (158th to 165th) as it is landmarked and get it looking decent.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
1020 Grand Concourse is all I gotta say. an apartment will sell for 7 figures there before I'm dead.

And you people who are stubborn and refuse to change will just lose in the end, that's all

I'm sorry but no sympathy from the MoD.
I thought about looking at buying a studio apartment there. They say they allow pied a terres so I thought maybe it's possible to buy an investment unit. I already have a place to live and am not looking to move right now. Although maybe in future if I ever move out of the city, I could keep the 1020 GC studio apartment for myself to live in part-time, and sell my large apartment in Queens, as it has increased quite a bit in value just in the past 3 years.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
1020 GC is overhyped. The elevators are small and cramped, and the apartments while modern usually could use a little work. Lobby is ok, but could be kept cleaner IMO. Again, the side streets are very sketchy and north of 165th, it goes downhill *fast* in terms of quality of life and crime, both on the Concourse and off of it. Then go back to the amenities... Really nothing to speak of, though the Bronx Museum of Arts is across the street along with the BxM4 bus to Midtown. Will say that the borough president Díaz has been determined to poor money into that part of the Concourse (158th to 165th) as it is landmarked and get it looking decent.
Overhyped for Manhattan, but not for the Bronx

Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I thought about looking at buying a studio apartment there. They say they allow pied a terres so I thought maybe it's possible to buy an investment unit. I already have a place to live and am not looking to move right now. Although maybe in future if I ever move out of the city, I could keep the 1020 GC studio apartment for myself to live in part-time, and sell my large apartment in Queens, as it has increased quite a bit in value just in the past 3 years.
Well all I can say is if you're serious, do it ASAP, otherwise you may not have a chance in the future. Check out Henna looking at the Bronx.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City