Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 09:39 AM

821 posts, read 776,623 times

Advertisements

The dislike or even hate between some members is obvious. They need to block each other because they'll never see eye-to-eye.

It's a problem because it basically derails every single thread.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 04-30-2021 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 09:40 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am not "invested" in the Bronx :-). The values of properties where I bought very cheaply do not go up sufficiently to keep up with inflation, so such properties are not an investment (unless you own a lot of units for ongoing rental income). I don't need you to tell me the obvious (although it is apparently not obvious to you, since you keep referring to it as an investment :-), and I did not buy that little place for any investment.

In case you haven't noticed, I HAVE bought someplace incomparably safer (ie, in one of two best, essentially crime-free, parts of Boston). While trying to decide whether it would be really worth it to trade that for an equivalent place in NYC, I bought another tiny property in an unusual spot in the Bronx where it is extremely cheap to buy and maintain yet safe enough that I can sleep there when I go to NYC. I have zero need to walk outside the condo complex, I walk all day in Manhattan :-).

To relegate, in the sense in which you are ineptly trying to use it, is a transitive verb. You relegate yourself TO something. You can't say "relegate yourself" followed by a period. Relegate myself to what? I do not need to relegate myself to anything.

Considering the subject of this thread, street crime is not a faux concern, but one of the leading real concerns (and in my view THE leading concern) in NYC. What is faux about it?
Why buy in the Bronx then if street crime is of such concern? Why not buy in an area where street crime is less of a concern? That is why I say, faux concern.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-30-2021, 09:56 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why buy in the Bronx then if street crime is of such concern? Why not buy in an area where street crime is less of a concern? That is why I say, faux concern.

Street crime is of concern in NYC in general, and it is not a faux concern. I have not definitely decided that I will want to live in NYC. If I decide that I do, I will live in Manhattan. I told you in the previous post (and in many posts in the past) why I bought a specific thing in a specific spot in the Bronx. There are some other reasons why I have to stay in Boston at least til 2029, and in the meantime, I just need a place to sleep in NYC. Considering the amount of time I intend to spend in NYC per year now that I am retired, buying the cheapest possible crashpad in a reasonably safe spot in NYC was the best plan. I can easily unload my Bronx condo any time I want (because there is a constant buyer demand), and I will do that when the crashpad no longer has a function for me (whether I do or don't decide to move to NYC).

Old 04-30-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Street crime is of concern in NYC in general, and it is not a faux concern. I have not definitely decided that I will want to live in NYC. If I decide that I do, I will live in Manhattan. I told you in the previous post (and in many posts in the past) why I bought a specific thing in a specific spot in the Bronx. There are some other reasons why I have to stay in Boston at least til 2029, and in the meantime, I just need a place to sleep in NYC. Considering the amount of time I intend to spend in NYC per year now that I am retired, buying the cheapest possible crashpad in a reasonably safe spot in NYC was the best plan. I can easily unload my Bronx condo any time I want (because there is a constant buyer demand), and I will do that when the crashpad no longer has a function for me (whether I do or don't decide to move to NYC).
Why not buy a crashpad in a safer area of NYC?

Old 04-30-2021, 10:34 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Black people on a cultural level have not been talking about "these Chinese people spread disease".
Several but not all of the attackers in these Asians incidents have been black but a vastly tiny portion of the black population. It's not trend in the black community with average black people.
The attacks are tending toward being done homeless deranged people.

This I 100% agree. Normal black folks ain't stomping asians. Its all the mentally ill and criminals Deblasio and Cuomo are unleashing unto the streets thats doing this. Thats the real source of the problem, not Bad Orangeman and his Kung Flu rhetoric.

Plenty of white folks are getting stomped too (i.e. Rick Moranis) but its just called a mugging these days. It doesn't fit the current media narrative of anti asian hate caused by Trump. Crime due to poor liberal policies is not the liberal media agenda.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Why not buy a crashpad in a safer area of NYC?

1. I am not sure that there is a safer area of NYC than a condo complex with private security and strict condo rules.

2. At the point where maintaining a crashpad for occasional use costs more than hotel for the amount of time I expect to spend in the city (80-90 days per year), it does not make sense to keep a crashpad. It only makes sense if maintaining the crashpad for 12 months is cheaper than hotel for x days.

3. The subject of this thread is racially related crime in NYC, not my crashpad in NYC, so this is the last I will say about my crashpad in this thread (and btw, I am not the one who "derailed" the thread with it - it is always somebody else who brings it up, usually in the context of telling me to get the h*ll out of the Bronx because people like me "do not belong in the community"). Neither you, nor anyone else, has legal right to forbid anyone to buy whatever property they want to buy, for whatever personal reason, anywhere in the US.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
1. I am not sure that there is a safer area of NYC than a condo complex with private security and strict condo rules.

2. At the point where maintaining a crashpad for occasional use costs more than hotel for the amount of time I expect to spend in the city (80-90 days per year), it does not make sense to keep a crashpad. It only makes sense if maintaining the crashpad for 12 months is cheaper than hotel for x days.

3. The subject of this thread is racially related crime in NYC, not my crashpad in NYC, so this is the last I will say about my crashpad in this thread (and btw, I am not the one who "derailed" the thread woth it - it is always somebody else who brings it up). Neither you, nor anyone else, has legal right to forbid anyone to buy whatever property they want to buy, for whatever personal reason, anywhere in the US.
You're deflecting. Why would someone so concerned about crime buy property in the Bronx? The use of said property is irrelevant. You should have absolutely no interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to you spending time here.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:49 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
This I 100% agree. Normal black folks ain't stomping asians. Its all the mentally ill and criminals Deblasio and Cuomo are unleashing unto the streets thats doing this. Thats the real source of the problem, not Bad Orangeman and his Kung Flu rhetoric.

Plenty of white folks are getting stomped too (i.e. Rick Moranis) but its just called a mugging these days. It doesn't fit the current media narrative of anti asian hate caused by Trump. Crime due to poor liberal policies is not the liberal media agenda.
I kind of agree with you on this issue but also disagree. Orange man was holding rallies non stop around the country that stopped being covered by the mainstream media. Those attracted huge followings of sold out stadiums. Conservatives usually focus on talk show radio or streaming internet podcasts so that is where a lot of them get their news. Just b/c most NYers don't follow those mediums doesn't mean it isn't happening.
In fact he is planning to hold more rallies in the near future.

Then of course you have the crazies who are probably not watching tv regularly or read newspapers but the President is still a hugely influential figure and if they see his face on a Times sq billboard screaming Kung Flu or in a tv electronic store window display enough times that message will seep into their brains. Then you have GOP Senators like Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell repeating the same thing to their followers.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You're deflecting. Why would someone so concerned about crime buy property in the Bronx? The use of said property is irrelevant. You should have absolutely no interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to you spending time here.

See my previous post, to which I added something while you were typing. I don't care what you think I should or should not have an interest in. I have an interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to my spending 80-90 days in NYC now, and I particularly have a high degree of interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to my decision whether or not to commit myself to buying a real home condo/co-op in Manhattan 8-9 years from now, at the age of 69-70.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
See my previous post, to which I added something while you were typing. I don't care what you think I should or should not have an interest in. I have an interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to my spending 80-90 days in NYC now, and I particularly have a high degree of interest in the discussion of crime in NYC as it relates to my decision whether or not to commit myself to buying a real home condo/co-op in Manhattan 8-9 years from now, at the age of 69-70.
Right, so once again, you purchased property in a higher than average crime area, why?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City