Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Obviously, we live in different areas.

I shop/have shopped in a wide variety of stores, from little independent, boutique type stores, to chain stores like Target, Kohls, Toys R Us, to shopping mall type stores like Marshall Fields & Macys. I am a homeowner so I occasionally go to places like hardware stores or plumbing supply stores. I used to live on a farm so I often went into farm supply stores.

While I usually go to a well known chain food store in my area, I sometimes go to several of the "fancy, organic foods" type grocery stores and occasionally to a few tiny, ethnic specialty food stores.

I live in a large metropolis, and often visit relatives in smaller cities and in tiny country/rural towns. While, I do not travel as much as I would like to travel, I have visited several states and a variety of sizes of cities in recent years.

I am 63 years old and I have never, not even once seen a dog in any of those stores except for dogs in pet food/pet supply stores and a very few leader dogs/service dogs over the years.

So, where in the world is this place where "dogs are WELCOME in stores"?

Please name those stores, or type of stores, where "dogs are WELCOME"?

I am not being sarcastic. I truly am amazed that there is someplace where "dogs are WELCOME in stores". Most stores have to follow various local and state health codes and I can not picture those health codes allowing dogs, or other animals, except for service animals, unfettered access.

I really can not imagine that it is common to even allow, let alone WELCOME, dogs to most stores (except for pet supply stores or similar stores).
Well while it is not an everyday or even a weekly occurrence I have seen it here in Southern CA.

I love dogs, but I saw two teenage girls with a little Yorkie in Target(I guess they think they're Paris Hilton) and the dog had an accident on the floor, they laughed, but myself and another shopper gave them a look and they cleaned it up. And I would have said something if they hadn't cleaned it up.

Also saw it in Trader Joes, the woman had the dog level with the fruits and vegetables.

It's not appropriate. Leave the dog at home or if it's not a hot day in the car with the window cracked for air.

If the girls in Target hadn't cleaned up the puddle someone could have slipped on it, or a store employee would have had to clean it up, that's not right.

I don't think that it's so much allowed here, I think the stores look the other way(no one likes to speak up anymore so un PC) or they just don't notice it as the dogs are usually quite small and carried in for the most part.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
Wow...somebody mainlined the Hater-ade today...

I sincerely hope you aren't a member or officer of a Property Owner's Association.
Of course you hope I'm not. I would be the one who doesn't fall for the little spoon/bag trick, and would force you to clean up after your animal. "Property Owner's Association" lol. Things are different in urban areas than suburban compounds. That is probably one of the two reasons there is a failure to acknowledge this is a real issue on your part.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:58 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,833,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Of course you hope I'm not. I would be the one who doesn't fall for the little spoon/bag trick, and would force you to clean up after your animal. "Property Owner's Association" lol. Things are different in urban areas than suburban compounds. That is probably one of the two reasons there is a failure to acknowledge this is a real issue on your part.

True. Dogs in a suburban environment typically have yards in which to do their business. Urban dogs, unless they have access to a park, have to use sidewalks or streets. I cannot imagine how disgusting it would be if the majority of dog owners don't pick up after their dogs.

I have spent extensive time in Boston and always walked everywhere I went. I've never seen dog poop on the sidewalk or street. Perhaps there are more green spaces available there than where you live. Or less dogs. Or more responsible owners. No idea, but clearly wherever you reside needs to take a strict approach to getting owners to act responsibly. No US municipality is going to outlaw dogs on public streets, but they should require 100% compliance with cleaning up after your pet. I would be all for a heavy first time fine and increasing fines for repeated non-compliance.

I'd also like to see strict leash laws for cats just like we have for dogs. Seems like that'd begin to eliminate the large and growing feral cat problem.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-09-2016 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,728,967 times
Quote:
right. Birds/feathers . . .

Yes, I have huge issues with dog owners. I also do the taliban, drug dealers and anyone else who cannot comport themselves civilly in our society. If the kid has issues, it came about do to her perception of dogs and owners. Instead of trying to bash her and say she needs therapy, you guys need to police yourselves. Why she is worried is because repeatedly, she has seen dog owners NOT act responsibly. That is her version of things, and it is an accurate one.

So funny dogs vs Taliban......our next topic which is worse dog owners or The Taliban you decide?I must say you do make me laugh!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
As an animal advocate, I work with animals in my spare time in volunteer situations.
Yes, you most certainly wear gloves when dealing with cats. Maybe you should volunteer at the shelter some time?
I "freak out" when I see a dog? Not even remotely reasonable. Why would you even say something this inane? It was two situation where I went over to someones house and their nice dog bit me totally unprovoked. Out of nowhere. That anecdotal event was relative to the original post I was replying to. A dog owner is putting themselves at legal risk and someone else at physical risk by assuring themselves that their dog wont bite. Does the dog "sense" an issue with the human? Of course it does. Whatever they sense in me is very disturbing to them. Who is to say how many other people throw off this vibe to canines? Contrary to what my post might look like, I like dogs. I like all animals. The only time I've "freaked out" at a non-human was at a large Python free-range roaming in an acquaintances house. I am disturbed by the behavior of dog owners in urban areas. It is shameful. This is relevant to the OP because if the little girl sees what I do, that is her version of dogs. You guys do not want to acknowledge this as a possibility, others do--So we now have 28 pgs of neener neener billygoat.

I'm petting my cat right now.....WITHOUT GLOVES! I pretty sure you don't work with animals ever! Good try though.....next time try something else a tad more believable.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post

So funny dogs vs Taliban......our next topic which is worse dog owners or The Taliban you decide?I must say you do make me laugh!!!
Its all in fun Stormy. I have no malice toward anyone here. I just get amped up on certain things. Im sure if anyone here had the misfortune of meeting me in person they would say I was very polite and quiet.

Have a great day. You too all those I have sparred with today

Old 03-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm petting my cat right now.....WITHOUT GLOVES! I pretty sure you don't work with animals ever! Good try though.....next time try something else a tad more believable.
Have you ever volunteered at an SPCA or feral cat TNR crew? No gloves? Not me.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Its all in fun Stormy. I have no malice toward anyone here. I just get amped up on certain things. Im sure if anyone here had the misfortune of meeting me in person they would say I was very polite and quiet.

Have a great day. You too all those I have sparred with today

Your make believe posts are funny!!!!! I just hope you know you aren't fooling us silly dog and cat people

Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM

639 posts, read 581,291 times
People that dogs don't like are just bad people, You probably did something horrific in this life or a past one that no one knows about. They sense the people that have an awful spirit. Dogs and baby's love me, It's adults that can't stand me, I'm very proud of that.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
People that dogs don't like are just bad people, You probably did something horrific in this life or a past one that no one knows about. They sense the people that have an awful spirit. Dogs and baby's love me, It's adults that can't stand me, I'm very proud of that.
You know what, I agree with you. Thats why I do so much work with animals now. Hoping to make amends so I don't suffer in my next spirit's form
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships