Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I'm guessing it's Bob. Just a guess.
I'd take Bob any day! At least, people can spell it. And pronounce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 02:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Condoleeza?
Notice I didn't say the person who had my name was famous? And no Ms. Rice and I don't share a name. I always thought hers was kind of funky, eclectic, don't take crap from anyone.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,362,235 times
Hey, if Dweezle and Moon Unit (Zappa) can change their names, why can't you?

Life's too short. Gertrude is old fashioned but I adore Gertie!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:33 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,808,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Your mother isn't being selfish and neither are you. She is hurt and it feels like a slight, but you can pick a compromise and keep it as your middle name and add a new first name.
I more-or-less agree with this statement. Basically, if you really want to change your name and don't have anything more pressing to spend this money on, go ahead. However, I do hope that you at least consider the possibility of making your old name your middle name.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,727 posts, read 18,073,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Hey, if Dweezle and Moon Unit (Zappa) can change their names, why can't you?

Life's too short. Gertrude is old fashioned but I adore Gertie!
The problem with Gertrude isn't it's "old fashionedness" in my opinion. Old fashioned names can be very cute and many are making a comeback, because they're lovely names. Olivia, Rosemary, Emma, etc.

Maybe the OP should have a conversation with her mother about what made her mother choose that name so she can get more clarity.

Gertrude, as a name, carries very heavy negative baggage. Wilma or Ethel are close runners up but not as burdensome.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I changed my last name, and did variations of the first and middle. My mother had a fit, but she got over it. That was in 1997, and it cost $100, which included posting it in any publication for 30 days, to ensure that there was no objection to it.
Lucky for you your mother didn't see it and file an objection!

Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I more-or-less agree with this statement. Basically, if you really want to change your name and don't have anything more pressing to spend this money on, go ahead. However, I do hope that you at least consider the possibility of making your old name your middle name.
The whole idea of getting a name change is to be rid of it, not just change the order. Dump it and be done with it. OP likes the name Samantha. Samantha Gertrude sounds plain stupid. Same with Allison Gertrude. It doesn't fit and it would never work.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:15 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,480,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There are actually very few situations where you can't use an alias. I would use a new name in all your dealings for a couple of years before actually changing it. See how your feelings evolve on it... and your mother's.

I don't think it needs to be a battle that seems rushed or hurts feelings. Let it be an evolution.
Actually, for many job recruitments the employer wants your LEGAL name. One company in particular will kick your application out of the stack if the legal name is not used, and you'll not be told why you were rejected.

Therefore, I think the original poster should change her name legally to anything she wants (that is not a fad or something odd like "Apple", "Moneybag", etc.) and just not ask for mother's input, unless mother is vengeful and might actually use the act against the OP. In the meantime, OP could ask to be called "Trudi" or some other common nickname for Gertrude.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 AM

250 posts, read 182,792 times
I did this 17 years ago. My mother still refuses to acknowledge it, but I don't let it bother me. Personally, it was a great gift I gave myself.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,639,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
I am 24, my mother is 56.
This is a joke, right? No 24 year old is named “Gertrude.” If so, I agree that you should change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships