Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM

5,494 posts, read 3,934,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What are you doing being still in school at 26?
What are you doing asking that question? I'm going to guess she's not repeating kindergarten for the 20th time. Didn't realize it was so outlandish for a 26-year-old to still be pursuing a degree (whether it be a graduate degree or undergrad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Well, you can move out! It is your mom's house and she can do as she pleases. Worry about taking care of your financial problems so you can leave.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:08 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Why should the mom be discreet in her own home? She can behave any way she chooses. She doesn't have to justify her behavior to anyone and she is behind closed doors - the closed door of her home. What you and the daughter may consider "distasteful" evidently the mother does not. It has nothing at all to do with the mother/daughter dynamic. The daughter is a grown woman, not an easily influenced child. Why should her mother exercise restraint just because her grown daughter might see her showing affection to her boyfriend? If the OP sees mom and her boyfriend making out, then she can just turn around and go in the other direction and not disturb them. The daughter apparently needs a social life of her own, then she wouldn't have time to worry about what her mother is doing.

Well the mother can do whatever she wants doesn't mean she can't practice some discreet. Any adult with self control can do that.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
Well the mother can do whatever she wants doesn't mean she can't practice some discreet. Any adult with self control can do that.
Since when is an adult not allowed to kiss their significant other in their own home?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post

Why should she have to practice discretion in HER own home? Self control has nothing to do with it. She doesn't have to answer to anyone but herself. What she and her boyfriend choose to do in her own home is their business and no one else's, nor do they have to conduct themselves by someone else's standards.

Last edited by Praline; 03-19-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 04:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
What is the mother doing- smooching and holding hands or having full blown orgies in the kitchen?

It is the mothers house and since I assume that she is paying for most things ( I missed the part where the OP was paying rent and contributing to the running of the household in general) she can do whatever she wants since she is an adult.

The OP sounds like jealous. Why does her mother need to put her grown daughter (at 26 years old, she is an adult) ahead of herself? Her job of raising a child is done. If mothers are required to put family and grown children's needs first, when do they get time for their wants and needs? Why should this mother need to cater to her daughter all the time? As the child grows into an adult the relationship between the two should change.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeinchelsea View Post
I think mom never grew up and acts like a teenager herself. What type of example is she leading. Family comes first.
Yeah, family first but the daughter is 26 friggin' years old. Not 6. If I were 26 again and living in my dad's house, and he had his girlfriend there, well, it's HIS house. I'd have just let them about their business, while I went about mine.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 PM

659 posts, read 899,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryiko View Post
But if I go to the kitchen to get something to eat or go in the living room to use the TV do I have to see them all making out, slobbering all over each other?
Yes. It's her house and you should be living on your own by now. Don't use school as an excuse. Lots of people work full time, support themselves, and go to school.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 AM

983 posts, read 2,774,883 times
Yes, including me. I worked full time while putting myself through school...undergraduate and graduate.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Yes, including me. I worked full time while putting myself through school...undergraduate and graduate.
My own dd is 26 and in graduate school and supporting herself. She hasn't lived with me since she graduated from high school, except for a month or so during breaks and transition between the USA and Asia. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships