Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
For those who are like me, have you ever been able to get through to a chronically late person in your life and get them to see your side and make a change for the better?
no.
Is there an hope for the chronically late?
no.
Can they change?
no.

old quote:
the most selfish thing you can do in your life, is to be late when others are waiting.
pretty much that ^^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I have chronically late friends, and since I rarely do things singly with them, well, they're just late to the event. We already ordered food, we're already seated in the movie, we might be halfway through our interest in being in this specific location and they might not feel like they got enough time.

Here's what I've noticed about them, that surprised me. They aren't passive-aggressive. They're positive, and social, and they're the kind of people who think ooh, I can run this one more errand before I get to the gathering and I'll still be on time. They're just wrong about their time management.

Here's specifically what I've noticed. There is NO ONE who is chronically late, that I don't look forward to seeing once they arrive. The people I really don't care to see at all usually arrive on time, or arrive early. *shrug*

I say this, as a person who arrives early, so there's that.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:06 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,261,224 times
I have zero tolerance for chronically late people. In business I would start the meeting on time and if someone was late, I refused to start over for them. They could get up to speed some other way. Friends that show up late for dinner more than once simply don’t get invited again. Nothing hard about it.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
My mother and one of my sisters were both always late. I finally started leaving without them or just saying I'd see them at the event, but neither changed. I did notice, however, that when something was particularly important to them there was no problem being on time. Both tended to be a little more self indulgent than most people in other ways also.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My mother and one of my sisters were both always late. I finally started leaving without them or just saying I'd see them at the event, but neither changed.
I did notice, however, that when something was particularly important to them there was no problem being on time. Both tended to be a little more self indulgent than most people in other ways also.
I've known people like that, too. Late to work, late to meetings with co-workers, late to doctors appointments, late to dinners with friends, etc. The odd thing is that they never seemed to be late to things that they felt were "important" such as the airport when they were going on vacation, or Broadway Shows or events that they had planned.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,691 times
It's not fare to show up 25 minutes early and blame the 30 minutes you had to wait on the person that was 5 minutes late

Old 10-01-2019, 12:17 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I've known people like that, too. Late to work, late to meetings with co-workers, late to doctors appointments, late to dinners with friends, etc. The odd thing is that they never seemed to be late to things that they felt were "important" such as the airport when they were going on vacation, or Broadway Shows or events that they had planned.

Fortunately I've never had to deal with anyone else who behaved like this, at least not in a close association.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
No.

Just dealt with my chronically late friend last week. She has never been on time in 20 years. Work, church or fun for anyone. I usually would go to her home because I just don’t want to be waiting for her to show up. Late. But now she has moved so far away I won’t go there anymore. So she has missed our time together and planned a day to come to my house. She had to plan 3 months ahead, then changed it 2 times. I gave her a deadline of 3 days before her arrival date to back out because I had opportunities to take advantage of within that time frame. That deadline day came and she was still on plan. Great. The next day she found out she had to work. Insisted I wait till she went to work to change shifts. Ok that worked. The day of she is texting me how she has to this that and the other thing first and will be 2 hours late. But now she is really feeling “icky” due to the high heat. She would like to reschedule. I just blew up and told her that I could have gone with friends if I had known she was wasn’t going to show up and how rude it was. She then said she was sorry and was on her way, but wasn’t going to clean up or do her hair. She finally made it. We at my house ate 2 hours earlier, on time. She had leftovers and was stunned we hadn’t waited for her.

Never again.

I just don’t get it how people can be so chronically late. But she is never going to change.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:14 AM

948 posts, read 922,220 times
Some people who are chronically late may be "time blind".

I just heard of this a few months ago, but I suspect it's fairly common (at least where I live). People who are "time blind" have a poor sense of timing, can easily "lose track of the time", and are not good at estimating how much time they need to do something or get somewhere. As a result, they have trouble with punctuality.

I think it's related to ADHD.

Last edited by tlarnla; 10-01-2019 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: grammar change

Old 10-01-2019, 01:53 AM

948 posts, read 922,220 times
Here's an article about it.

https://adhdhomestead.net/time-blindness-feels/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships