Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
One time I tried to talk to a chronically late friend about how it made me feel like she didn’t value my time when she would always come late. She didn’t get it at all and instead acted like I was expecting too much from her.
Of course that's how she reacted. You were judging her.

To answer your questions, I had a friend who acknowledged she was late to everything. Someone else asked, "Even to work?" Friend said, "They're very flexible." Well, lucky her.

Late people misjudge the time it takes to do something, and they don't care when they're late or when they missed something. They just don't notice the time and couldn't care less that someone is EXPECTING them to be there at a certain time.

You have to wonder if there are consequences, would they arrive on time? Like to work. Suffering some consequences MIGHT push them to try to be on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:46 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Sister is always late to family get-togethers. We tell her to arrive not later than xxxx because that's when we'll start serving, even though the actual time is an hour or more later. If she doesn't make it, she eats leftovers.

She never manages to be late for work, appointments, concerts, etc. -- just to family stuff. So we stopped waiting on her, even when she's bringing a dish -- we can always eat it later.
This answered my question from another post. If there are consequences, then they will get there on time.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:39 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Of course that's how she reacted. You were judging her.
I try to cultivate as much nonjudgement as possible through yoga, meditation, contemplation---but it's impossible to never have any judgements. After all, any time we make a choice to buy something, do something, or socialize with someone, we are making a value judgement that we will enjoy what we are buying, doing, etc. and that it will be better than another choice.

However, I don't think Miss Terri was judging her friend. She wasn't saying the friend was an awful, uncaring, rude person. She used "I language" to explain how her friend's actions made her feel. It's not that her friend felt judged or unfairly criticized. As she wrote: " She didn’t get it at all and instead acted like I was expecting too much from her." The friend just didn't want to take responsibility and wasn't interested in making a change to maintain/improve the friendship. Should we never say how we are feeling when someone hurts us because the other person will "feel judged/"

In my exercise classes there are always people who come late (sometimes as much as 30 minutes into a one hour class). In yoga class this is especially disruptive. The yoga instructors say this set thing about not being judgemental, that you never know why someone is late, that at least they showed up, etc. I get what they are saying. Maybe 1 out of 100 times someone has a real excuse for being late (bathroom issues, sick kid or parent, etc.) but usually it's the same people who are always late, month after month and year after year. I know a couple of them who are honest enough to admit they just don't have good time management.

Last edited by jazzcat22; 10-01-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 12:47 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's specifically what I've noticed. There is NO ONE who is chronically late, that I don't look forward to seeing once they arrive. The people I really don't care to see at all usually arrive on time, or arrive early. *shrug*

I say this, as a person who arrives early, so there's that.

Clara, this is so interesting and makes me think about the thread about people who are spell-binding and have lots of charisma. Like you, I am always early. And no one would say I am spell-binding or have charisma! I will admit that in the past (I'm working on it and have loosened up in my advanced age) I've been tightly wound and a rule follower. Do these traits prevent us from being fun people? You didn't say there is causation, just correlation. For myself I can't get past my resentment about certain people always being late, so that does impact my enjoyment of being with them once they get there.

I just wonder whether the people who are freer spirits in that they don't closely manage their time, don't worry so much, follow what they want instead of what they have committed to or what is expected of them come across as more enjoyable people to spend time with. And if this is the case, are they more fun because they don't have all these constraints that bog down their personality so they are more open to being/having fun----or do they inherently have these personality traits and thus they can get away with being late (or other forms of rudeness) because their personality makes up for it?

Old 10-01-2019, 01:06 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Charisma?

You ought to watch A Face In The Crowd, 1957, Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Charisma?

You ought to watch A Face In The Crowd, 1957, Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal.

That is a fantastic movie. One that, turns out, was prophetic. It should be required viewing.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:49 PM

492 posts, read 631,460 times
One lady at our church is always 5 to 10 minutes late. Very disruptive. She lives 5 minutes from the church. I don't think she will change. I believe she likes the attention.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I ended a friendship with someone who is chronically late.

It is such a slap in the face, they are saying their time is much more important than yours.

I am habitually on time. Being late stresses me out.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Sister is always late to family get-togethers. We tell her to arrive not later than xxxx because that's when we'll start serving, even though the actual time is an hour or more later. If she doesn't make it, she eats leftovers.

She never manages to be late for work, appointments, concerts, etc. -- just to family stuff. So we stopped waiting on her, even when she's bringing a dish -- we can always eat it later.

I doubt she'll change, but we don't allow her tardiness to interfere. It's her problem, not ours.

I agree.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:41 PM

79 posts, read 51,220 times
Tell them what time to be there, and if they are not, that you will leave/proceed without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships