Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
What do you mean ?

In my post #91, I first said how things went now that TG has passed & then YOU asked what we're thankful for & I answered. (I had even posted BEFORE TG day as well...#34.)
I didn't ask what you were thankful for; another poster did, and I suggested that would more appropriately be a separate post.

This one is about being alone for the holidays, and it doesn't sound as if you are - hence my confusion... But I'm used to this...

Last edited by otterhere; 12-04-2019 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
Normally TG is just my Dad and myself, while my brother is with his wife and her kids They're getting a divorce, so we had my brother join us for TG, a simple meal, with just the 3 of us, I'm single, Mom is gone and brother is getting a divorce.

Xmas consisted of my brother and his wife coming on Xmas day and my dad walking over, just some food and chat. Well now I guess I will host my brother and my Dad. Every year I say no presents, every year my xsil brings presents, every year she brings her own food, just in case mine isn't organic!!! Ugh. I think my brother is feeling very alone so he can spend time here as SIL is still in the house and he doesn't want to deal with that.

Don't know what I'll cook, I've been single forever so could just as easy spend it alone, but won't because of my brother and my Dad.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 AM

4,242 posts, read 948,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I am alone this Thanksgiving (as always) and happy for it, especially as I watch all the news footage of impending doom of the looming storms across the country. I am SOOOOO glad that I don't have to travel!

I am still cooking a turkey, however, and am making my favorite stuffing. I have a new dog, so it will be fun to have him here for the holiday. Planning some dog walks and movies and reading and eating and wine and maybe a nap. My favorite holiday.

I will not be alone for Christmas this year, however, for the first time in years. My father has decided that he's going to travel from PA to MA to see me and see my new house and town. He usually goes to my sister in Santa Fe, but decided not to this year. It's actually stressing me out quite a bit. What to do with him for days, meal plans, etc. I'm used to having my holidays alone! I don't know what to do with company for a holiday.
If I were your dad, I would like ... hmmm, let's see ... dog walks, movies, reading, eating, wine, naps. Oh, and plenty of eating out and ordering in!

Enjoy your Christmas with your dad

Old 12-06-2019, 11:36 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes it rained for days. I loved it. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
Thanks & glad you enjoyed it as well!

Old 12-08-2019, 08:11 AM

272 posts, read 131,049 times
I keep my distance from people. I'm a nurse and that's easy to do. The patients cannot go home and get few if any visitors. I work and I'm busy and no one notices. I make sure that I pay attention to others when needed and steer the conversations away from me, keeping my answers vague or answering without saying anything of meaning. It can be fun to hide in plain sight!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel23 View Post
I keep my distance from people. I'm a nurse and that's easy to do. The patients cannot go home and get few if any visitors. I work and I'm busy and no one notices. I make sure that I pay attention to others when needed and steer the conversations away from me, keeping my answers vague or answering without saying anything of meaning. It can be fun to hide in plain sight!
For those alone on the holidays, a job that doesn't take a day off (is needed 365) can be a Godsend for all: those benefiting from that work, other workers freed up to spend the day with their families, and for the alone worker him- or herself.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Food is a problem at Christmas. Everything is closed.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Food is a problem at Christmas. Everything is closed.
Buy something ahead?

If you mean eating out, actually lots of restaurants are open Christmas Day; all Asian, as well as Waffle House (and I know there are others). They're always packed that day, too!

Old 12-11-2019, 04:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Buy something ahead?

If you mean eating out, actually lots of restaurants are open Christmas Day; all Asian, as well as Waffle House (and I know there are others). They're always packed that day, too!
I forgot about Waffle House. Mine is majorly decorated. That in and of itself is cheerful. And I know the employees and some of the regulars.

What I was thinking of that is disappointing to me is a nice dinner I can eat fireside or something. Making a holiday by yourself is kinda tough. At least it is for me. I was able to get yummies on TG.

I miss my Mom like heck this time of year. She was my TG and Christmas. I am at odds with stepmom so I can't go to Dad's.

Anyway CHRISTMAS is the biggie for missing Mom. Even if we both felt like poop (heath problems) we'd do SOMETHING. It gets so bad this time of year I am ready to join her in Heaven.

Today I acquired her china cabinet and cedar chest and it should make me 'happy' but it doesn't. I want this stuff at her house with her in it!

I'm also supposed to be happy I get a small inheritance but I am not at all. I don't like selling her house. I guess selling her house and bringing this stuff in was bad timing for Holidays but it had to be done.

I couldn't find a single Christmas decoration or my Grandmother's prized wreath over there. (she was an artist with those and my mother had a stunning Christmas one I really wanted). That made me so mad and sad.

Am I in the wrong thread? Are we supposed to be being positive and talking about how we are going to make this alone for the holidays things work? I am not there. I need to GET there, but I am not there.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:37 AM

"Am I in the wrong thread? Are we supposed to be being positive and talking about how we are going to make this alone for the holidays things work?"

Well, yes and no... My intent in starting the conversation is always for those who are alone (truly alone) to share how they cope or at least get through what is, after all, a "together" and potentially depressing holiday, but of course I can't control what people post.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-12-2019 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships