Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 12:14 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times

Advertisements

I cooked for tomorrow. Will go to the movies probably. It watch Netflix at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
This thread is so heartening, and backs up the saying "things usually work out just fine".

It seems those who prefer to be alone on holidays have worked it out so that they will be alone, and those who know them, leave them alone without feeling guilty.

And the others who very much want to gather for the holidays, gather. And include people who also want to gather.

Happy holidays to all, however you choose to spend them!

Old 11-28-2019, 07:57 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Most of my family moved away years ago and who is left I’ve either not talked to in years or are aging to the point they can’t manage hosting or coming over so I’ve had off and on solo TGs for years. This year is one of them. Not even upset about it, kinda relieved. For the longest time my wife and I would do multiple holidays split between my family and hers in the same rushed day but I think after 10 years that run is over.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Not quite totally alone, but no crowd here at all either.

I'm an only child. For the holidays all of my adult life, it's been just my parents, me, & I always had/have a SO. Nowadays, dad's been passed away 4 yrs ago now.

My mom still lives alone in her 2-story home that my parents shared & I've been in my apt for the last 7 yrs. Fiance' & I would have had her over today, but I've been sick all last week & didn't want to get her sick so she's coming over Sat. We don't care about having to see each other ON the actual holiday. We talk 1-2 times daily anyway w/o fail.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:48 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
I am grateful I get to hang out with my dear ol Mom. No turkey for me already had my official Thanksgiving with her at the home where they cooked up a great meal.

Friday my 2nd Thanksgiving meal with bro and kids. Excited gonna be in the mountains in the snow.

I have a lot to be grateful for and the more I thank God for my blessings the more I receive.

I am curious, what are you grateful for on Thanksgiving?

Old 11-28-2019, 10:56 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I first moved sixty miles away from where I had spent my first 50+ years, I spent New Year's Eve alone and looked forward to it.

I got on the couch with some snacks and fell asleep watching TV around 10. Woke up sometime after midnight and went to bed.

Then I woke up around 6:30 remembering that the guy on TV had said what time sunrise would be in the morning...it was something like 7:11, IIRC.

I jumped out of bed, threw on some clothes, and drove the six miles to see the sun come up over the ocean, and took this photo, January 1, 2011. It remains one of my best New Year's memories ever. It was a time of new beginnings.

I LOVE this. I miss the ocean.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Default Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's become a City-Data tradition! Does this apply to you? Share, discuss, commiserate, or debate the definition.
Happy Thanksgiving otterhere!

Over the years, you've created this type of holiday thread and I've always enjoyed it. Over the past two decades, I've lived in various places across the country and often too far away from family to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with them.

Most years, I spent it with friends, in my new city/town, that invited me over. A couple of times, I opted to spend it alone. This year, I was close enough to drive to visit family. Even though it's a house-filled with people (family members), it's a time I'm very thankful for. I'm blessed to have loved ones that I actually look forward to spending it with.

To all reading, Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:32 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
DH is finishing packing up for his annual elk hunt in Jackson Hole, WY and they will leave early in the morning so he suggested we not have the celebration this year. It was fine with me. Except for missing my own cooking I think Thanksgiving is the most demanding of all the celebration meals and I've done at least thirty of them.

We had invitations to two places in town and a cousin's home an hour and a half away. I chose family and then we got the big snowstorm.

So here we sit with enough shredded cabbage to make coleslaw for twelve (the one I posted in the recipe section with the maple dressing, almonds and dried cranberries.) I have the fixings for a pumpkin pie and for an orange cheesecake, shortbread crust and cranberry topping. DH is eating the shortbread cookies.

My adult children are a bit put out, I think. I know how much they look forward to the feast. This situation is just one of many hints over the years that it's time for them to pick up the ball.

I plan to spend the day relaxing. If anyone shows up it would be good if they bring food with them or it's going to be cabbage and mayonnaise and peanut butter sandwiches. LOL

For this I give thanks this year: Enough people who care about us to get three invitations
A husband well enough to go hunting
Healthy, spoiled offspring who can manage fine
An orange cat to sit in my lap
Freedom to slow down

Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
I'm thankful that I'm still alive and that I'll be starting a new job sometime next month.I'm thankful that my parents are still alive and healthy and doing well, I'm thankful for my 4 dear friends who are real true friends,I'm thankful to be able to have food on the table and be in a warm place to enjoy the holidays to my liking.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:49 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Default I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I first moved sixty miles away from where I had spent my first 50+ years, I spent New Year's Eve alone and looked forward to it.

I got on the couch with some snacks and fell asleep watching TV around 10. Woke up sometime after midnight and went to bed.

Then I woke up around 6:30 remembering that the guy on TV had said what time sunrise would be in the morning...it was something like 7:11, IIRC.

I jumped out of bed, threw on some clothes, and drove the six miles to see the sun come up over the ocean, and took this photo, January 1, 2011. It remains one of my best New Year's memories ever. It was a time of new beginnings.
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it Mightyqueen. Where was it taken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships