Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,140,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I went to a Thanksgiving dinner with a Meetup Group. I had heard about the group from one of the members who noticed I didn't have any place to go. (But she was not at the dinner.) I walked into the kitchen and they greeted me but nobody asked who I was (questions about me, I told them my name of course) or how I found them. The eight women knew each other well and they talked among themselves and I had little to add to their conversations. Finally the woman across from me, the host, talked about her retirement. I was able to ask her how long she been at the job and other questions. That seemed to help. But in all honesty, it was not a fun dinner for me. I kept asking myself why am I here?

When I was finally able to go home, I was soooo glad to be home alone. It is not fun to be with a group that you don't enjoy. I'd much rather be alone.

Wild Flower, I've had so many similar experiences with Meetup. Glad to know it isn't just me! I've done (even hosted) Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with niche groups I've had stuff in common with (baby boomers and vegans). I thought people would be on their best behavior, so happy and thankful that they had some other people to be with it, but that wasn't the case. It seemed like people were there grudgingly because they had nowhere else to go. And even when people came on their own home and didn't know anyone else, there seemed to be such disinterest in getting to know anyone else and making a new friend, even if only for that night. I'm with you---I'd rather be home alone. I never feel lonely then, but the loneliness when you are surrounded by others who make no effort to interact with you is definitely not fun. I can't believe when I ask questions about others to get to know them and then they don't even bother to ask the same or a different question of me! I've felt like if I disappeared, like if I snuck out and went home, no one would even notice or wonder where I was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Wild Flower, I've had so many similar experiences with Meetup. Glad to know it isn't just me! I've done (even hosted) Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with niche groups I've had stuff in common with (baby boomers and vegans). I thought people would be on their best behavior, so happy and thankful that they had some other people to be with it, but that wasn't the case. It seemed like people were there grudgingly because they had nowhere else to go. And even when people came on their own home and didn't know anyone else, there seemed to be such disinterest in getting to know anyone else and making a new friend, even if only for that night. I'm with you---I'd rather be home alone. I never feel lonely then, but the loneliness when you are surrounded by others who make no effort to interact with you is definitely not fun. I can't believe when I ask questions about others to get to know them and then they don't even bother to ask the same or a different question of me! I've felt like if I disappeared, like if I snuck out and went home, no one would even notice or wonder where I was!
I've had similar experiences with Meetups as well, which is why I don't go to many. Very few people make any effort to get to know someone new, and I'm naturally a bit shy around people I don't know, so its hard for me to initiate random conversations. Yeah, it's not fun for me either.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I should have stayed home. Things did not work out as planned. And a lot of driving was involved.
Oh, no; what happened?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I've had similar experiences with Meetups as well, which is why I don't go to many. Very few people make any effort to get to know someone new, and I'm naturally a bit shy around people I don't know, so its hard for me to initiate random conversations. Yeah, it's not fun for me either.
Meetups are great if you have realistic expectations. They're basically a way for people who share the same interests to find one another and get together to pursue those activities (such as hiking, to use an example). They're not meant to be a dating service, lonely hearts club, or even a means of making close friends. It can happen, of course, and does, but things don't usually get that intimate. The hobby is the main focus and, for that use, they function quite well in my experience.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I went to a Thanksgiving dinner with a Meetup Group. I had heard about the group from one of the members who noticed I didn't have any place to go. (But she was not at the dinner.) I walked into the kitchen and they greeted me but nobody asked who I was (questions about me, I told them my name of course) or how I found them. The eight women knew each other well and they talked among themselves and I had little to add to their conversations. Finally the woman across from me, the host, talked about her retirement. I was able to ask her how long she been at the job and other questions. That seemed to help. But in all honesty, it was not a fun dinner for me. I kept asking myself why am I here?

When I was finally able to go home, I was soooo glad to be home alone. It is not fun to be with a group that you don't enjoy. I'd much rather be alone.

Awwee, I am sorry. This sucks. I am often the new one in the group/at such events and people are usually always friendly, asking questions, etc.

You may have just gotten one bad apple group. Meetups are usually welcoming new people. Don't give up.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Meetups are great if you have realistic expectations. They're basically a way for people who share the same interests to find one another and get together to pursue those activities (such as hiking, to use an example). They're not meant to be a dating service, lonely hearts club, or even a means of making close friends. It can happen, of course, and does, but things don't usually get that intimate. The hobby is the main focus and, for that use, they function quite well in my experience.
For me it is usually a hit or miss - either people are friendly, or they are not welcoming. What happens often times to me is that I attended a meetup and the women are ignoring me, because they think I am competition. A guy will talk to me and either it is the hideous guy no one likes (for a reason) or it is a normal guy and there is already someone in the group interested in him and I feel their hostility. The women in the groups don't want more women who may steal on of their guys. So I end up chatting with the odd dude and then never return.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OK, maybe thats true, but the one I go to mostly is a "social" one. No hobby involved.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
For me it is usually a hit or miss - either people are friendly, or they are not welcoming. What happens often times to me is that I attended a meetup and the women are ignoring me, because they think I am competition. A guy will talk to me and either it is the hideous guy no one likes (for a reason) or it is a normal guy and there is already someone in the group interested in him and I feel their hostility. The women in the groups don't want more women who may steal on of their guys. So I end up chatting with the odd dude and then never return.
I could totally see that happening. A lot (not all) of these people are socially awkward or even introverts like me forcing themselves to get out. Sometimes it makes for a boring event or feeling left out. I can also see women fighting over the few single men there who may be attractive. I rarely see women I find attractive, and when I do, there's 3 guys talking to them.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
OK, maybe thats true, but the one I go to mostly is a "social" one. No hobby involved.
I don't join those; too many think they ARE a place to hook up (they aren't and shouldn't be or, if they are, I'm more interested in my hobbies).

Old 12-02-2019, 01:02 PM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Life is good. I have a family who loves me and we just spent all Thanksgiving at the lake house. Bonfire; talking, football (yuk); games; meals; meals.... meals...

But it wasn't always like that. I was alone when I was 18, with no place to go. It stayed like that until I was 26.
Those were tough years. I sympathize with anyone who has to do that. But people like that are hard to find. They hide, you know. At least when they are young.

I am so, very, very thankful for the family I have. The prospect of inflating a tire for a step daughter is enough to make me feel important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships