Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 02:41 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times

Advertisements

I bought my turkey and everything else I need. I will cook enough as if I was having 6 people over.

Finally get to stay home for Thanksgiving. Tired of being the token orphan at some other families dinner. It will be me, the NFL, NCAA, and my TV and it will be wonderful all 4 days.

I will have leftovers and I love turkey. Eat it about twice a week in one form or another all year long. The last few years I spent Thanksgiving with people that had ham and never turned the games on. That isn't Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 05:42 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
I am normally alone but this year I will be having dinner with a friend and her mom. Not turkey.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:08 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,396 times
Me, alone again. My son has a gf now, so he’s spending time with her and her family. He’ll stop by but likely won’t stay.

I don’t mind being alone. It’s calming, less stress and I can do what I want. I’ll cook a nice feast for two for Thanksgiving, in case son and his gf wants something, and eat as much as I want. For Christmas, I’ll cook a much smaller meal. I don’t want to deal with much cleanup around that time, and prefer to remain low key.

I’m looking forward to eating, drinking and binge-watching.

Btw, thanks for starting this thread, Otter.

Happy Holidays!!!

Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
Being alone for the holidays is preferable in a lot of cases to spending time in uncomfortable familal situations or with families of friends. This is especially true of single, unattached, and childless/empty nester people in the their late 20s and later. There is really no good situation during the holidays for this group.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:29 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,898 times
I've been alone at Christmas the majority of the past 7 years. Thankfully, this year I'll spend it with cousins in North Carolina. I don't know them well, but have gotten to know them since my mother passed away last Christmas Eve. It will be nice to have family to spend Christmas with, even if they are mostly distant cousins. They're opening their home to me.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
I must be one of the rare ones who enjoys New Year's Eve on my own after years of going to parties, battling the drunks, and the forced celebration for what is actually a bittersweet moment. For most years, here's what I do: go to the store earlier and buy "goodies" for myself - a slice cake, Bailey's, chips with the fixings for nachos - and then settle down with it all around 11 p.m. to watch the TV stuff. By 10 minutes to midnight, I am tucked cozily in bed, a little buzzed (the Bailey's, remember?), watch the ball drop, and listen to Old Lang Syne. Then I call my mother (used to be Dad too, may he RIP), wish her a Happy New Year, and then go to sleep.

The next morning - I like my rituals, I admit - I go to this Swiss Chalet style restaurant for breakfast to welcome in the New Year. (Sometimes I will meet up with friends, but not always.)

It's all good.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:04 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I must be one of the rare ones who enjoys New Year's Eve on my own after years of going to parties, battling the drunks, and the forced celebration for what is actually a bittersweet moment. For most years, here's what I do: go to the store earlier and buy "goodies" for myself - a slice cake, Bailey's, chips with the fixings for nachos - and then settle down with it all around 11 p.m. to watch the TV stuff. By 10 minutes to midnight, I am tucked cozily in bed, a little buzzed (the Bailey's, remember?), watch the ball drop, and listen to Old Lang Syne. Then I call my mother (used to be Dad too, may he RIP), wish her a Happy New Year, and then go to sleep.

The next morning - I like my rituals, I admit - I go to this Swiss Chalet style restaurant for breakfast to welcome in the New Year. (Sometimes I will meet up with friends, but not always.)

It's all good.
You are not alone with that. In my 20's and 30's I loved going out for New Years. Now, not at all. In fact, I may not make it until midnight. Its Christmas that bothers me a lot when I'm alone. Its been so depressing over these past several years.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:08 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

It's all good.
Fun and peaceful! And you surely won't be getting a DUI or get killed by a drunk driver.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:10 AM

7,038 posts, read 6,288,650 times
Alone. Thankfully. I have a Cornish game hen I'll throw in the crockpot with potatoes and a sweet potato. Green beans. Yum.

Last year I went to the senior center for pot luck and it was not a good time. Everyone talking about getting together with their kids and families, asking about mine. I hate explaining to people that my only son is dead.

It's just best for me to stay away from people during the holidays.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I bought my turkey and everything else I need. I will cook enough as if I was having 6 people over.

Finally get to stay home for Thanksgiving. Tired of being the token orphan at some other families dinner. It will be me, the NFL, NCAA, and my TV and it will be wonderful all 4 days.

I will have leftovers and I love turkey. Eat it about twice a week in one form or another all year long. The last few years I spent Thanksgiving with people that had ham and never turned the games on. That isn't Thanksgiving!
Ham on Thanksgiving, that's heresy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships